“Have stayed many times over 20 years...”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Clinton, NY
“Have stayed many times over 20 years...”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Always very satisfactory, even through the changes in ownership. Now a "green" hotel. Our room was very nice - the renovations were done well, with taste and not cheaply. Great location in Lake Placid, interesting layout with access to restaurant, bar, street mall, etc. Perfect spot on the lake. One of the better spots in LP.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are the best. Some rooms open up to the parking lot. Not good.
Green Features: Very green, including a green roof. Encourages recycling, etc.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Moon-man345,

Thank you very much for your continued loyalty to the Golden Arrow. The Holderied family has owned the Golden Arrow for the last 40 years, but they did drop the Best Western partnership in 2006 so that is probably what you mean by change in ownership. Actually, the first of the third generation of the Holderied family came to work at the resort full time last year. Andréa is Peter Holderied’s daughter and she and our General Manager, Jennifer Holderied, are the main forces behind the updates and renovations. I’m sure there will be even more the next time you stay with us.

I’m ecstatic that you keep returning to us year after year. We look forward to having you again soon. I wish you safe and happy travels until we meet again.

Director of Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Hebrew first
Rexford
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our family loved being able to use the Canoes, row boats, kayaks, paddle boards & boats. My son spent 4 hours fishing from the dock. You don't need a fishing license if you fish on property. laying on the beach all day was amazing. Mirror Lake does not allow motor boats on the lake so it was always quite & peaceful. The restaurant doesn't have great food, but the maple bbq wings were good. The staff was so friendly. The hallway carpets are a little dated & they have kind of a musty smell, but the rooms were clean & the view from the balcony doesn't get any better! Great location to village restaurants & walking path around Mirror Lake

Room Tip: I liked our room 212, it was close to the indoor pool, its one floor from the beach & it had a g...
Green Features: This hotel is very green, with a Green rooftop garden, along with many other green amenities.
Dear Alisha H,

Thank you for your review of the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad your family had such a nice time on our beach; I hope your son was able to catch something! One of things I love most about our beach is that it can be full of entertainment for children, but also very relaxing for adults.

As I’m sure you can imagine the hallway carpets get a lot of action in any hotel. It is difficult to always keep them clean, but we do shampoo them regularly and try to replace them as often as we can. I will let maintenance know that the 2nd floor north hallway needs a little extra attention.

I again thank you for taking the time to write your fantastic review. I hope you stay with us again in the near future.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were charmed by our trip back in time. Golden Arrow's strengths are friendly, helpful staff, gorgeous lake view, attractive pricing, free kayak and canoe rental and superior pool facilities. Dinner at Generations restaurant was adequate. However there are better options within walking distance.

Room Tip: Third floor is lobby level and exits out to coffee shop and alpine arcade.
Green Features: Since the attraction of Lake Placid is the scenery it is encouraging to stay in a hotel that places a premium on environmentally friendly practices.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Wildegenes,

I’m very glad you enjoy our charming town of Lake Placid. It’s wonderful to hear that you find the hotel to have gorgeous views, attractive pricing, superior pool facilities and more! I also really appreciate the fact that you think since we are an environmentally friendly hotel that should encourage people to stay here. We realize how amazing of a place the Adirondack Park is, and we want to do our part to help protect it as much as we can.

I hope you will stay with us next time you take a “trip back in time.” I wish you safe and happy travels until we meet again.

My Best,
Albany NY
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My daughter and I took a girls only weekend trip. My first impression of the front desk was great! Very speedy check-in and the girls were very nice. We were told to park in level A or B parking. So, we headed to level A. When we found there was no parking there, we had to back alll the way out of the garage. Of course, another guest drove in behind me as I was backing. It's VRY tight and blind turns coming in/out of the Parking Areas. We tried finding a spot out side - to no avail so we headed to level B and parked there.
I was very surprised to see that the hotel is so dated inside. The carpeting, paneling, etc in the halls. There was a distinct smell of gas (natural or propane) every time we got off the elevator at the 4th Floor. Our room was clean, but dated as well. The balcony had large spider webs all around it. (YUCK)!!
The view of the lake was just beautiful! The beds were very comfy!!
The resort does offer free use of thier kayaks, paddle boats, etc and there's a nice beach.
I think the room was over-priced for the out-dated decor (wall paper, paneling, carpeting, etc).
Our maid didn't vacuum our floor or wipe our food spills off the table from our breakfast that morning. :(
The heating/air conditioning unit was not operating properly either. I'm not sure what the issue with that was.

Generations Restaurant was VRY good for breakfast. We ordered room service both mornings. We had dinner there Sat evening. My dinner order was incorrect and my shrimp were overcooked. My daughter's ravioli dinner was undercooked. Our waiter was just "ok". When he checked in on us, he referred to us as "guys". "How are you guys doing ? " It just rubbed me the wrong way. Even the couple sitting next to us commented how annoying and rude that he kept saying that to us!
We did love Lake Placid. And we had a nice time overall.
If the resort was updated I would not hesitate to spend $135+ per night. But, it definately was NOT worth what we paid! Sorry....

Room Tip: I would definately recommend a lakeside view room.
Dear MrsSipster,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Golden Arrow. I’m glad you enjoyed the views from the hotel and our friendly front desk staff. I apologize that you were not able to find a parking spot in the first garage you looked in, at busy times sometimes you do have to check more than one garage before finding a spot. Luckily we have more than enough parking for all of our guests, which sometimes hotels on Main Street do not have.

I’m surprised to hear that you think our hotel is dated. This is the 40th year we have been in operation, but lately we have been working extremely hard to update, not only the common areas of the hotel, but the guest rooms as well. I agree that there are still some rooms that could be a bit updated, but a being 165 room, family owned hotel, it’s difficult to get everything done at the same time. If you stay with us again I would request a 5th floor room, those rooms are the most updated.

I have shown your review to our head of housekeeping and restaurant manager and they will relay your message to their staffs respectively and make sure that what you experienced does not happen again.

I hope you will give us another chance in the future to prove we are worth it. Thank you, again, for your comments. I wish you safe and happy travels.

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We purchased a Groupon deal for two nights at this hotel so we weren't sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised by how nice the hotel was. You really can't get a better location to explore the village of Lake Placid. Our room faced Mirror Lake and had a small deck which was perfect for enjoying coffee in the morning and watching the loons. All the staff that we encountered were very friendly too. The restaurant served very good food, albeit a bit pricey compared to other restaurants in the area.

Tip: bring bug spray if travelling in early June. The black flies tore me up!

Room Tip: I liked the 4th floor because there was quick and easy street level access so we could pop in and ou...
Green Features: I felt good about spending my money to support their environmentally-friendly practices!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S_Fisher_907
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear S_Fisher_907,

Thank you very much for your review of the Golden Arrow. It’s wonderful that you were able to find us on Groupon. It sounds like you had a wonderful stay; I’m glad you enjoyed our location and room with balcony. Very good tip with the bug spray, the bugs are always not very good in June, but this year they've been worse than usual. Thankfully, they’ll be gone soon.

I hope you are able to stay with us again. Out rates are always less midweek and we usually do another Groupon deal in the fall, be sure to look for us.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We just came back from our annual trip to Lake Placid and the Golden Arrow. Once again we were very happy with the hotel. When we got there, they had experienced some issues with the room we were supposed to stay in. The management graciously offered us a different room if they could not fix the problem. We were waiting in the lobby for just a short period of time when we were told our original room was ready. We stay in the allergy free rooms, which is great for me. There is nothing in the room that makes me sneeze or wheeze. The room opens to the water and easy access to the dock to fish. The staff is amazing, polite, attentive and friendly. If you need anything all you have to do is ask. The beds are very comfortable. The rooms are clean. We like that we can recycle and the hotel is very environmentally conscious. The only thing we would suggest is, higher toilets, grab bars in the bathtubs and bath mats as well. We will not stay anywhere else while in town. It is the nicest place we have found. And one of the few with ample parking. Great hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dszen00,

Thank you for continuing to come to the Golden Arrow year after year. I’m thrilled that we could get you into one of your favorite rooms and make you happy again this time around. I also like the first floor, north wing rooms; the bamboo flooring really contributes to that nice, clean feeling. I will let a manager know about your suggestions; we are working on making a few more rooms more accessible, but I’m not sure if there will be any on the first floor. I will check on this.

I thank you very much for reviewing us; I look forward to having you again very soon. I wish you safe and happy travels until we meet again.

Port Washington, New York
Reviewed 14 June 2014

If you want a lakeside resort that is attached to the mall, is clean, friendly, relaxing, both family friendly and couple friendly, or just plain friendly. This is the place. We are looking forward to going back. The hotel staff is wonderful. We were right in the middle of town and on the lake, couldn't ask for anything more.

Room Tip: Front rooms with the view of the lake are well worth the extra $$, however if you don't have a v...
Green Features: Love the environmental practices!!! the maid service was the best by far.
Dear sk8rtwinsmom,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Golden Arrow, it’s great that a Lake Placid local recommended us. I’m very glad you enjoyed our friendly staff and amazing location. We look forward to having you back!

Thank you for taking the time to review us, I truly appreciate it.

My Best,