“Absolutely Wonderful, year after year”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Tustin, California
“Absolutely Wonderful, year after year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

visited for the first time in 1985 and have returned every year for at least one week, sometimes twice, and it's the only place in LP that we'd consider staying. On the lake, our kids loved this place growing up. No need to rent a canoe or kayak, they are on the beach to use for free. Fish off the dock, walk everywhere, and it's very quiet at night. Stayed before we had children, kids grew up vacationing here, and still visiting again this year. Wonderful family run, family oriented.

Room Tip: opt for ground floor lakeside and walk out to the water with your morning coffee
Green Features: this hotel was out in front of the green movement before anyone else. Not just recycling, but green roof, env.-friendly products and practices.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear tom m,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Golden Arrow for the past (almost) 30 years! It is so wonderful that you and your family can enjoy Lake Placid together every year. We love being a part of a tradition!

On behalf of the Holderied family and the whole staff of the Golden Arrow, I thank you for your continued loyalty through the years. I also thank you for writing this review so others can read it and maybe start a tradition of their own. I look forward to your return next year.

My Best,
Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our reasons to choose the Golden Arrow on our second trip to Lake Placid were the same as on our first. The hotel has an expansive GREEN program and what can be better than staying in a hotel that is conveniently located, has all the nice amenities AND is eco-friendly. We usually prefer staying in local B&Bs during our travels, but this hotel maintains the personal feel of a small hotel. The multiple seating areas (one in front of the fireplace next to the large windows facing Whiteface and the other above a flight of stairs next to the piano) are both inviting and relaxing after a day of skiing! We stayed in the Normandy suite, which is spacious with a wood burning fireplace, whirlpool tub for two people in the bathroom and a lake view. The room was very comfortable and the whirlpool provided excellent relaxation for sore muscles after skiing. Our only small gripe was that the pull-out sofa in front of the fireplace, was made out of cold vinyl, instead of something warmer that would go better with the aesthetics of the room.

Room Tip: Normandy suite, is spacious with a wood burning fireplace, whirlpool tub for two people in the bathr...
Green Features: Fantastic. We have become repeat customers of this hotel, and a very big reason for that is because of its Green Program.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
SwatiMark,

Thank you very much for staying with us again this past winter. It’s amazing to hear that our attempt to run as environmentally friendly as possible has impacted your decision to stay here. What you described in your review is exactly the reaction we were hoping for from our guests back in 2005 when the Holderied family decided to really take responsibility and go green.

I’m very glad that you enjoyed the spacious Normandy Specialty Room. We do like the leather sofas because they are easier to keep clean than sofas with a less sleek fabric, but I definitely know what you mean about something warmer. I will give the note to our Director of Beautification.

Thank you for returning to the Golden Arrow this year and thank you for taking the time to write your review; I hope we will see you here again soon.

Baldwinsville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Once again we had a wonderful stay! We always get a room with the lake view. The views are beautiful through out the day and night. They have many water activities for everyone to enjoy. The staff is so friendly and knowledgable about the area. We look forward to coming back every year. Don't forget to go to Generations for breakfast to try the pancakes,so good! See you next June if not before

Room Tip: Lake view with the balconies are a must!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eileen K
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Eileen K,

Thank you for returning to the Golden Arrow year after year; I’m glad you continue to be pleased with us. I also love the pancakes at Generations, thank you for sharing!

We look forward to having you again next year. You should try to visit us in the winter some time. We have a skating rink on the lake and a fire pit on the beach. Thank you for reviewing us, I wish you safe and happy travels until you stay with us again.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

A friend and I recently stayed here for a few days. Our room faced the lake, and we got great use and enjoyment out of our small balcony. The place is a bit of a maze, and I got "lost" more than once, however everything was clean and well maintained. The staff seemed very friendly and accommodating, and treated us very well.
The location is perfect for walking the town, and there are a surprising number of great shops and restaurants all nearby. My only complaint was their own restaurant, which seemed cavernous and under-decorated, and not in keeping with the rest of the facility, but we didn't eat there, so can't speak to the food. I imagine in high seasons it might be different, as it appeared to be not-quite-open, and only the bar area was being used.
The pool was large, clean and very pleasant, though best suited to families with kids. In fact, this is an especially well-suited place for young families, and I would recommend it in particular to them.

Room Tip: Choose the lake side!
Green Features: We were impressed byt their flat roof and other initiatives
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bonnie M
Dear Bonnie M,

Thank you very much for staying at the Golden Arrow. I am very glad you found the hotel clean and well maintained, our staff friendly and accommodating, and our location perfect for walking Main Street. We have made some renovation to our restaurant recently, and you’ll be happy to know that we will continue these in the fall. You will have to come back and check them out when they’re finished.

I truly thank you for taking the time to write review and for your recommendation. I hope you will stay with us in the future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I can't say anything but Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall...WE LOVE THE GOLDEN ARROW!! The hotel itself is beautiful inside and out. The entire staff is accommodating and friendly. Family, pet friendly run by a friendly family! Like they say "the only thing they overlook is the lake!" Girls on beach are engaging and helpful. The housekeeping is spot on. Special thanks to Jen for all her help!

• Stayed June 2014
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear LBskis,

Thank you very much for your long time loyalty to the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you are able to return year after year, its guests like you who have kept us open and thriving for the last 40 years! I appreciate all of your kind comments and will relay the kudos to our beach girls and, of course, Jenn.

I hope to see you in the near future; I wish you safe and happy travels until we meet again.

My Best,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was our first trip to with our young kids (ages 2 1/2 and 5.) I had researched accommodations in Lake Placid and decided on the Golden Arrow. I was a little nervous since you never really know what you are going to get when booking online. The location is perfect. The staff was friendly and helpful from the minute we checked in. We stayed in the Skylight Suite (2 bedroom) and it had amazing mountain and lake views from the balcony. The room was spotless and had everything we needed. The private beach was clean and the resort supplies everything you need-life jackets, beach toys and towels. They offer complimentary kayaks, canoes, rowboats, paddle boats and paddle boards. The kids loved the indoor pool as well. We will be making this a yearly trip for our family and would definitely recommend the Golden Arrow to anyone with small children.

Green Features: I loved that they provided a recycling bag in the room!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Stacey R
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Stacey R,

I am very glad you your first trip with your young children was a success! Thank you for choosing the Golden Arrow as the first place to stay with them. It’s wonderful that the beautiful views from the Skylight Suite and our private beach were just what you needed and wanted. It sounds like you will make a trip to the Golden Arrow a family tradition, like so many families have done over the 40 years we've been in business.

I thank you for writing your review, your recommendation and giving the perspective of a parent with young children at the resort. I’m sure this will help future travelers. I wish you and your family a great summer!

Lake George, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have stayed at the Golden Arrow for a tradeshow for the past couple years. The rooms are excellent and very clean. I love the green aspect of the resort. The workout room was better than most name brand hotel chains. I had a great (and interesting) breakfast at the restaurant with sweet potato hash and andouille. I really need to make an effort to come back on a non-business trip to enjoy everything the resort has to offer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cricket5182014
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Cricket5182014,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Golden Arrow. It’s wonderful that you are able to stay us when you travel to Lake Placid for tradeshows.

Thank you for saying we have excellent and clean rooms, as well as pointing out our efforts to be green. I will have to tell our chef that you enjoyed your breakfast with the sweet potato hash as that is a new item he just added to the summer menu!

I do hope you will stay with us again sometime when you don’t have to concentrate on work and can really unwind. Until that time I wish you safe and happy travels.