“Amazing experience!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
faraway
“Amazing experience!!!”
Reviewed 26 November 2008

We live far from the adirondacks and decided to go there for my parents wedding anniversary, we planned to stay at a fancy sounding resort which turned out to be a total disaster. So we ended up at a motel with no place to go. We called around to the local hotels and stumbled upon the golden arrow. By the description and prices, it would not have been a place we would have normally booked. (so glad we did!) We booked over the phone one day before and the staff were friendly and welcoming, and they eased our stress. Our stay at the golden arrow turned out to be the best part of our adirondack vacation!!! Our room was nice, but the resort itself was amazing. It had this fun little coffee shop/sandwich place/ little store mall attached. We could walk to everything (including the olympic sites) and the lake was amazing!! The boats were free and we even caught some fish. Lake Placid is a lovely place and we have some amazing memories of our time there. Also, the views from the Golden Arrow balconies (lakefront) are stunning, especially at night. Did i mention their small beach is adorable?? (and quiet) We are so grateful that our golden arrow experience saved our big trip!! :)

• Liked — location/lake!
  • Disliked — could have been cleaner
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Hebrew first
Montreal
Reviewed 14 November 2008

We booked online using the Golden Arrow's own web site, and selected a "family suite". It was more expensive that the "deluxe lakefront" rooms, but we figured that it would be worth having 2 rooms given that we were staying for 3 nights and were traveling with our daughters (2 & 4 yrs old). We arrived late on a Friday evening and were checked-in quickly and efficiently. That's where the good part ends.

Our "reserved" parking turned out to be already taken by someone else. When we mentioned this to the front desk clerk, he said no problem, just park in the handicapped spot (I felt so guilty that I got up at 7am to move to another spot). The room itself was AWFUL (called the "Adirondack Suite"). It was small, dark & gloomy and smelled musty. There were burnt-out light bulbs, cobwebs, and the door to the bathroom had a broken lock. Speaking of the bathroom, the wallpaper was peeling and the fan overhead was disgusting. Outside, we had the noisy parking lot right outside the windows so we heard every car that came and went, and above us we had the Lake Placid Clock & Watch Co., so we heard the cuckoo clocks going off every hour. The outside door does not automatically lock so we had to be careful every time we went out. The free Wi-Fi didn't reach this room (given that it is a separate bldg). And finally, given that the Golden Arrow bills itself as being, we were surprised that there were no recycling bin in the room.

We complained first thing Saturday morning and asked to change rooms, but we were told that they were fully booked and nothing could be done. "Check back tomorrow."

(...another night of parking lot noises & cuckoo clocks)...

On Sunday afternoon, Cindy at the front desk agreed to move us to the "Cloud Splitter" suite. What a difference. This is what we expected all along. Big bright & clean. No smell. A view. And twice the square footage.

Decent recovery, but a day too late. My wife already scoped out alternate hotels for our next stay in Lake Placid.

Note: The first 2 nights rated a score of 1/5 only because there's no way of submitting a score of zero. The last night was at least a 4/5. I figure that this averages out to an overall score of 2/5.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 17 November 2008
I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the Adirondack Suite. Given that your stay was over 2 months ago, it is difficult for me to offer any sort of explanation for the cleanliness issues you encountered. Please know I will certainly make sure that the issues have been corrected, although since you say you mentioned them to my staff during your stay, I am fully confident that they have been corrected.
Since your stay fell over Labor Day weekend, it was certainly true that we did not have any alternative rooms to move you to on Saturday as we were completely sold out. I am pleased to hear we were able to make you more comfortable on Sunday. The room you booked online is described simply as a two bedroom suite. You are not guaranteed a lake view which is why we price them lower than our lakefront two bedroom suites. If it is possible we do upgrade guests who reserve those rooms online to a lakefront suite, but in your case, the busy holiday prohibited us from doing so.
Adirondack Suite is equipped with free WiFi and certainly does have the recycling bag as every room in the resort does. If you were having trouble with either of those things we would have been certain to assist you in finding them had you asked. We sometimes have trouble with guests parking in the spots designated for those suites. I am not sure why these people do not abide by the obviously posted signage. However, when you check in after 10PM it was too late to call the guest to ask them to move their car. Instead we offered you the handicapped spot for 2 reasons. First, all of our handicapped parking spots are very near the front door. That enables our staff to easily monitor them. We knew we had a multitude of empty spots should a guest require them and that one could be spared for you. Second, since it was so late in the evening when you arrived, we were able to look at our arrivals and know that even if they should all require a handicapped space, we could supply them. So there was no need to feel guilty and move your vehicle. We would not have suggested you park there unless we were sure it was ok. It has happened from time to time that we do require the handicapped spots in that situation and in those cases we would let the guest (you in this scenario) park under the car port before we would inconvenience you.
As to the clock shop, we have an agreement with them that they be sure to shut off all of their clocks no later than 9PM every evening. They have been in that space for over a decade and we very rarely have an issue.
I was glad to hear that when my staff was able to, that they helped you immediately. Thank you for your comments.
Scotia, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort 10/24/08-10/26/08. There was a hockey tournament in Lake Placid that same weekend. Adolescent hockey players were everywhere making the hotel and Lake Placid very lively and busy. Upon check in, The Golden Arrow staff were sensitive to how this might impact a couple on a romantic getaway. We were told to let them know should there be a noise disturbance. There were signs throughout the hotel asking other patrons to be respectful and to keep noise to a minimum especially after 10 p.m. I appreciated the concern in advance. The hotel and room itself was clean and beautifully decorated. Much better than I expected for the reasonable rate we paid for a standard room. The location of the resort was very convenient to most attactions. We managed to squeeze a litttle time to soak in the hot tub in the indoor pool area. This was such a nice way to relax after a day of sightseeing. The pool was a bit chilly and i wish it was warmer so I could have taken a dip. We just really had a great stay overall and look forward to going back again.

• Liked — convenient location and luxory at a reasonable rate
  • Disliked — chilly pool
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Michigan
Reviewed 12 October 2008

We stayed in the Morningside Suite, room 401.

This was a 2 bedroom suite with 2 queen beds in one room and an adjoining room with a king size bed.

Finding the room was the hardest thing about the stay. The directions from the people at the front desk were unclear and we searched for the room for at least 30 minutes before finding it!

The access to the room is not easy, especially with as much luggage as we had with 6 people. My advice to the hotel would be as follows: When checking in 6 people into "the best room in the hotel" offer to send a bellman out to the car to bring their luggage to the room as well as personally showing the guests where in the heck the room is, since it is in such a wierd place!

Once we did finally find the room we were pleased with the layout. The beds were very comfortable, and to us, this is the most important part of the hotel stay.

The 2 bathrooms were clean and the showers were powerful, also very important to us. The shower in the king room had 6 heads and it was by far the most popular of the two showers in the suite. There was a bubble tub in the other bathroom, which some of the ladies loved as well.

There was a small kitchenette. The stove top did not work. The microwave worked and we had no trouble with the sink. There were dishes provided.

The room was reasonably clean except for the dust bunnies under the beds! 2 of the girls were doing their yoga and it was not condusive to their meditation.

The view from the room was striking. Just wonderful. :)

The pool was nice. The shower in the locker room had multiple heads like the one in our shower. :)

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — confusing directions to the room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank wbkubin
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2008
That is a great suggestion, and going forward we will offer a guide to guests who are first timers in that room. The majority of guests who stay in the Morningside Suite are repeat guests who have stayed there many times before, but you are correct, for a new person who has not travelled tot he resort before, I can see how it would be confusing. I will take steps to make your suggestion part of our routine going forward.

I will also have someone look a that stovetop. We have not had any complaints about it, but I will have them check it right away.

I am glad that you liked the Morningside Suite. It is our most highly requested guest room. Most guests, once they have found it, will not stay in any other Suite.
sackets harbor, new york
Reviewed 10 October 2008

We just stayed at the Golden arrow in lake placid on Oct 8, 2008. Our room was in the hay stack. Great location and super clerk that checked us in.
My disappointment came when I got into the room with a sticky and dirty bathroom floor. The new style vessel type sink was gross. the plumbers putty was left around the drain and was discolored. It was gross.
Long black hair on the towel by the whirlpool tub. The tub itself was dirty with the last guests hair and dirt stuck on the side of the tub. I cleaned it off with a face cloth. I guess I was supposed to bring my cleaning supplies.
The refrigerator was not wiped out from the last people.
The sheets were just ok. nothing outstanding. I did notice the bottom sheet was on inside out. On the positive side, our king bed was very comfortable.
Just outside our room by the hall light, there was a medium size spider and cob webs. extremely noticeable. He was still hanging in there when we left.
It is unfortunate to have such a great room, but so many details missed. Normally, I would never make a negative comment.
But I feel the fairly high rate for this room should have had some attention to cleaning and someone supervising the staff.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — needs cleaning
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank candlebb
I was surprised and upset to read your review of the Haystack Specialty Room. It is one of our newest guest rooms and is in the running to become on of the most popular. Thank you so much for letting me know about this issue. I have brought it to the attention of the Executive Housekeeper who will deal with the problem immediately. I only wish you had mentioned it to us during your stay so we could have taken care of everything right away for you.
Madison, CT
Reviewed 2 October 2008

The Golden Arrow was perfect for us as we were driving from CT to north of Montreal and we were towing a trailer. We just wanted a one night stay. I made mention of the trailer when I made the reservation and when we got there they actually had blocked off more than enough room for our conversion van and trailer in their parking lot. The handicapped room was very adequate with two double beds for ourselves and our son who uses a wheelchair.

• Disliked — The hotel has down its best with regards to accessibility but steps to the pool and some large thresholds in areas make it difficult for a wheelchair to get over them without some assistance. Not insurmountable but needs to be noted.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 September 2008

There were a lot of things we loved about this stay, and some not so much. Starting with the Pro's.... The Golden Arrow is in an excellent location. The front of the property is pretty much right in the middle of town, and there is also hotel access to the Alpine Village shops right on the main street. It was an easy walk (less than 5 min) to the Olympic Skating Venues. The rear of the property is directly on Mirror Lake so all the rooms on the back side seem to have a good view of the Lake and Whiteface Mtn. The parking was quite interesting as they have a top level parking lot with several underground parking lots attached to the resort. You needed to take a few minutes to understand where your room was and what parking lot options were the best. We never had a problem parking in a spot convenient to our room while we were there. The hotel has a nice sandy beach area on Mirror Lake which the kids loved. We also took advantage of the free use of resort paddle boats and row boats which the kids also were thrilled with. Some folks reported having a long wait for the boats but we never had a problem at the times we used them. The resort has an indoor pool/hot tub area with lots of stone work. The lobby area is the nicest part of the resort;large with many seating areas and a great view of Mirror Lake. Our family had an especially good time relaxing in the lobby later in the evening and playing card games with the kids. We stayed in a Windfall Suite/Efficiency. The room size/amenities were perfect for us (2 adult/2 children). It has 2 queen beds in the main room plus a twin bed in a small alcove room. Perfect for us since each kid had their own bed. It had a separate small kitchenette-room with a table, chairs, microwave, mini-fridge, mini-stovetop and sink. It was nice for making/eating breakfast there every morning. The Windfall room had a balcony with a great view out over Mirror Lake and of Whiteface in the distance. Now for the not so good.... Our suite's bathroom was on the small side. The lobby was very nice but some other resort areas were in need of a little updating. Our suite was the last room on the west side of the hotel and although the view out was great, the view directly down over the balcony was of several very large green utility boxes (appeared to be electrical related). Plus the view to the side was of a neighboring properly that was not kept up very well and had items laying the yard. So we had to make sure we focused on the view 'Out' and not 'Down and to the side'. Most other rooms wouldn't have this issue and I'd request a different Suite/Efficiency if we stayed there again. There was a strong mildew smell in the nearby hallway and stairway outside our room. I mentioned this to the front desk and they cleaned something during our stay because we could briefly smell the cleaning solution instead of mildew. It was the stairway that goes to the Alpine Villiage shops. I was told it was because of a water issue in a basement utility room from recent heavy rains. I emailed the hotel about this again after our stay to report my dissapointment and they did respond they will have this looked at again. Overall, we had a great time staying at the Golden Arror for our vacationing in the Lake Placid area. The activities available at Golden Arrow contributed to making it memorable. The kids especially liked the swimming, boating and evenings in the lobby playing cards. I'd consider staying again but be selective about the room we stayed in. There are above average aspects to the resort, but I can't give this review more than an average rating for our stay because the smell I mentioned earlier really bothered us at times and my wife kept finding cheerios in our room from prior quests.

• Liked — Location, Amenities
  • Disliked — Some problems with room
1 Thank fly-or-drive
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 1 October 2008
Thank you for that very detailed review of our resort. I appreciate your fair and honest description of your experience. I would just like to address two points.

First, the smell in the stairwell. We did receive a record amount of rain this summer which caused some minor flooding in one of our boiler room areas. That is what caused the smell. We have since remedied the problem and I have not had a recurrence since you originally brought it to my attention.

Next, the "down and over" view from your room. The big green boxes you described are transformer boxes owned by the Village of Lake Placid. Originally they were well hidden by some large cedar trees. However we had to cut those trees down this summer because the Village is replacing the old transformers with new more efficient versions. The good news is that the new technology will operate more efficiently and allow us to get rid of one of the older transformers. The bad news is that this process will last through the winter. Rest assured though that as soon as it is complete, we intend to replant trees & gardens around the new transformers. When that is complete, guests in those rooms will be able to happily look in any direction they prefer.