“relaxing”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the GA for our anniversary. We were pleasantly greeted by the desk clerks with a complimentary bottle of wine from the fingerlake region and a gift bag. Our room was upgraded from our previous reservation to a room that overlooked the lake. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony each morning enjoying our coffee while taking in the peacefulness of the lake. Room was very clean and bed was comfortable. The hotel staff was very friendly and even had some suggestions on different places to visit. The cost of the room was a little pricier than we are use to but I guess it was their summer rates. The beach was a nice touch to the hotel but I would get there early if you would like to use a chaise lounge. Kayaks and paddle boards were fun to use at no extra cost. We also enjoyed following the red brick sidewalk all around Mirror Lake on our morning walks. Overall we had a pleasant stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are a must
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Karla D,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of the Golden Arrow. I’m thrilled that you are your husband enjoyed you anniversary get-a-way. It sounds like you really enjoyed your lake side guest room, our friendly staff, and private beach on Mirror Lake. I also love walking the 2.7 mile loop around the lake; there are so many spots with such beautiful scenic views. You are correct in that August is the most expensive time to come here, please come back and visit us in the fall, winter or spring for a lesser rate.

Again, I thank you for your review and I am very happy we could make your anniversary extra special. I hope you can stay with us again soon!

There are newer reviews for Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated my birthday this past weekend and had an excellent time. When I made our reservation, I specifically requested a room on an upper level floor. The Golden Arrow staff not only accommodated the request, but when we walked into the room there was a bottle of wine and a goody bag with a notecard, signed by a staff member, wishing me a happy birthday. The room was spacious and both mornings we enjoyed our coffee and the beautiful view of Mirror Lake from our balcony. The extra money spent on a lakeside room is well worth it !!!
This was our second time staying at the Golden Arrow, and we will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear K8egirl,

Happy belated birthday; I’m glad we were able to happy your day extra special. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your spacious lake front guest room and that you will stay with us again!

Thank you for writing your review and sharing your experience. I hope to meet you next time you are in the area. I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of the summer and fall!

My Best,

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Last minute booking in Lake Placid, we were pleasantly surprised at the great location and layout of the Golden Arrow. The hotel is nicely tucked into the heart of the main tourist area yet we never felt like we were anything but relaxed and at ease in the space. The beach access on Mirror Lake is absolutely gorgeous and our kids (12, 14) took full advantage of the swimming and various boats the hotel had to offer, all free. We walked everywhere, from eating to shopping to the Olympic museum and it was nice to leave the car parked in one spot! We also loved the indoor pool and hot tubs/sauna and used them almost everyday. We stayed in the Wolfjaw suite which accommodated the four of us easily and gave us plenty of room to stretch out (by the way the pics on the hotel website of this suite don't do it justice).

Our only suggestion for management (and we're sure others have had a similar one) is to somehow establish rules down at the beachfront regarding reserving beach chairs - we saw quite a few people who went down early in the morning and placed their belongings on as many chairs as they could, barely using them throughout the day. This resulted in many who arrived later (like 10 am) with small children not having any place to sit, even though there were empty "reserved" chairs throughout the beach area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Debbie R,

I’m very glad you and your family enjoyed your last minute getaway to Lake Placid. It wonderful that your kids were able to take advantage of our beach and boats; they are the prefect age for that! I also love the Wolfjaw Suite; it’s spacious and private, without putting you too far at all from all of the resort amenities.

We have had issues with people saving seats down by the beach in the past (and present). It’s definitely something that we are constantly trying to avoid, but also very difficult to regulate. If our beach attendants notice chairs with towels on them unattended for a long period of time they do remove the towels, but sometimes they don’t get there until mid morning, early afternoon. I will relay your message to management, and hopefully we can come up with some sort of solution to cut down on this happening.

I truly thank you for sharing your experience with us. I hope you will stay at the Golden Arrow soon, have a great fall!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Overall our stay here was very good and we would come back. This is not a luxury hotel/resort by any means, so don't expect it to be. However, the fact that they are right on the lake, have various lake equipment (canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, etc.), and indoor pool (comes in handy in the rain) and are well located are all huge pluses.

Service is on and off, had two very pleasant interactions (at check in and checkout) and two not so pleasant interactions when I came to the front desk to ask a few questions. Some of the people at the front desk should either get hospitality training or get out of the businesses.

Beds were very comfortable for all 4 of us. Bathrooms could use some updating (we stayed in Rm106).

This is a 3 - 3.5 star hotel and you need to expect that when coming here. For the price the value is great. If you want 4 or 5 star, I think there is another place in Lake Placid that fits that bill.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed staying on the first floor in a room that opened directly onto the beach. We did...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hello Mark G,

I believe you also reviewed us on Yelp so I will leave you a similar comment here, thank you so much for reviewing us both places, you’re great! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, especially our beach, complimentary boats on Mirror Lake, and indoor pool. I apologize that you received unsatisfactory service at the front desk during a few encounters. We have recently gotten some new staff members that are still in training process. I am confident that they next time you stay with us this won't be an issue.

Thank you again for both of your reviews. I wish you safe and happy travels in the future.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

good location, within walking distance to the town of Lake Placid, plus restaurant on property.
the decor is lovely and suits the area's character. the reception staff, as well as the service staff friendly and helpful. the lake/beach view of the Echo Suite room 200, where we stayed for 4 nites, was lovely but could have been better if it did not directly overlook the beach (see that comment below). the whirlpool bath and separate sitting/tv area were a welcome:) on site parking lot plus covered garage at no fee was great.
i would have given the hotel a 5* but felt our room was not conducive to a couple with no children attached. it overlooked the beach and the noise level was VERY LOUD ALL DAY LONG. there are no "quiet" hours, so the beach is "open daylight hours". with our door open during the night we were abruptly awoken at 6:11 AM from a child who was paddle-boating and talking very loud to his mother on shore! then another instance was at 9:30PM when my husband had to yell down to the beach area where 2 teen girls were carrying-on. not a good situation when you want to spend some time on the balcony to reflect on your day's experiences. also, for the life of me, i don't understand the "pet friendly" thing....YUGH, not very sanitary. when we go away we either have friends watch the animals, or they go to the kennel.
i would definitely recommend the hotel, BUT ADVISE: if lake front view and if you are going to access the beach with kids daily,stay in the South wing. with no kids or no beach usage, stay in the North Wing due to beach noise level.

Room Tip: if you go lake front pick the North wing upper levels less noise from the kiddy beach.
3  Thank doubletrip
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear doubletrip,

Thank you very much for your review of the Golden Arrow. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our location, décor, friendly staff, free parking, and the Echo Specialty Room. I apologize about the disturbances in your sleep due to noise from the beach. Being on the 2nd floor can sometime cause this, especially during the summer months. I would suggest next time you stay with us to try one of the specialty rooms on the 5th floor, the Marcy, Normandy, or Haystack rooms are all very nice. I understand your thoughts on the pet friendly policy, but many other guests love traveling with their pets and don’t worry, pets are only allowed on the third floor so you don’t need to worry about staying in a room that a pet has already stayed in.

Again, thank you for your great review. I hope to see you back in Lake Placid again soon. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We had never been to Lake Placid when we played a long weekend over the MLK holiday. We picked the PERFECT location. The Golden Arrow is right in the center of the super-cute and quaint "town" and you can walk everywhere. Best of all it is set right on Mirror Lake, which is cleared for ice skating. They had several "rinks" plowed with lots of pick-up hockey games going on, and several other "rinks" just for skating around. We also saw dog sledding going on on the lake. I really like how many family options this hotel has. Lost of rooms that are suites or accommodate more than just 4 people. The hotel was clean and welcoming. Not particularly modern, but not out of date. Friendly staff. On-site restaurant and free and easy parking. My kids are still talking about our trip. It isn't far from skiing either. Highly recommend the bobsled experience, snowmobiling, and visiting the Olympic ski jump complex.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear PointsWellTaken,

Your review made me excited for winter, which believe me, as summer is coming to an end, is not an easy task! During the summer months, with so many beach activities happening, it’s easy to forget the winter wonderland that Lake Placid and the Golden Arrow turns in to.
Thank you for sharing your family’s experience, I appreciate your mention of fun activities to do around town as well as your compliments about the resort. I hope you are able to try different suites and specialty rooms so you can choose which is best for your family.

Thank you, again, for your review and for getting me a little more excited for the winter season, I hope to meet you this time around.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed at the Golden Arrow for 3 nights in early August. View from our room was beautiful.....overlooking the lake. Room was clean and people at front desk were nice. We would definitely go back. Loved the fact that they had a special parking spot for hybrid cars (since we have one). Unfortunately, there was always a van there (Not a hybrid). So why have a special place for hybrids and let a gas guzzling van park there. When I asked the front desk about it they said that their security person was too busy to do anything about it. OK?

Room Tip: You want to be on a high floor overlooking the lake

Dear LGK0626,

Thank you for reviewing the Golden Arrow. It’s wonderful hear that you enjoyed the beautiful view of Mirror Lake from you guest room. I apologize that you were not able to park in the hybrid spot while you were here. The van you mentioned belongs to a guest that has stayed here every year for over 20 years. She has built lasting relationships with the staff here. Their van is too large to fit into our parking garages, and as an extremely valued guest, we made an exception to the hybrid rule for them. I truly do apologize, though; I can see how this circumstance could easily be misinterpreted.

I hope this does not deter you from staying with us again, as it seems like you enjoyed most other aspects of the resort. I appreciate your feedback and, again, hope to see you back at the Golden Arrow in the future.

My Best,