Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Crowne Plaza Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$169
Hampton Inn & Suites Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$148
Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$112
Courtyard
US$110
US$99
QualityInn
Lake House(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$209
US$187
Travelocity
US$83
US$81
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Adirondack Inn(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$152
galahotels.com
Cobble Mountain Lodge(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$107
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$403
US$376
Official Hotel
  • Pool
The Whiteface Lodge(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$373
1,416 results
All reviewsgenerations restaurantmirror lakepaddle boatsunderground parkingattached restaurantmain streetspecialty roomin townsteam roomshops and restaurantsindoor poollife jacketsprivate beachfrozen lakehotel restaurantfirst floorhockey tournament
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I love Lake Placid, and the Golden Arrow has the best hotel location in the area. However, the policy to allow dogs is an absolute turn-off. There are dogs running through the hall ways and all around the beach area. Most of the time the dogs are unleashed, and their arrogant, rude owners have no respect for the fact that some people may be afraid of dogs and may not like dog poop left on the grass. Guests have to keep a sharp eye out for messes left by the dogs as they walk around the grounds and beach. Dogs are barking and running around like crazy. They allow dogs of all sizes, so most of these are BIG dogs and can be quite frightening to kids, not to mention that they leave big messes!!! The staff seems oblivious to this problem. They have nobody enforcing the leash rule and doo -doo pick up. Why do I want to spend all this money on a hotel just to have dogs ruin my vacation? Why would such a "luxurious" hotel even allow dogs on their premises? It's a dirty, unsanitary, annoying and very unprofessional policy. It's a shame that the hotel is in such a beautiful location but the scenery and the comfort of the hotel is ruined by the annoying dogs!!! Another annoyance is that they don't enforce the "handicap parking" spaces and allow large trucks to park in them, leaving no space for those who need the spaces. ( I don't need a handicap space, but I overheard an elderly couple complaining of that). The hotel can also be very loud!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank akirondacklover
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2009

Thank you for your comments and the compliments you gave to our resort. It is clear that you have strong feelings about dogs. I can respect that (personally I am a cat person). What we have found over the years is that the passion of the pet owners matches your own, but to the opposite extreme. People LOVE their animals and do not wish to be separated from them. They consider their pets part of the family and want them to share in the family vacations. I can respect that view as well.

Therefore we have tried to establish this hotel as a pet friendly resort for those guests who respect the rules. We have very stringent pet policies and communicate these criteria to our pet guests many different times during the course of our interaction with them. I would argue that 95% of people who travel with their pets are very responsible and adhere (in fact are grateful) for the rules we put in place. Our staff does enforce the rules. In fact we have ejected guests from the resort before because their behavior with their pets was not being respectful toward our other guests. In the summer months we have someone on the beach cleaning any messes that are not attended to by our pet owners. In fact the presence of dogs on the beach area is restricted to only the grassy areas and we enforce this emphatically.

What we have tried to do is establish ourselves as a resort who respects the fact that some people can not travel without their pets and welcomes them on the condition that they respect the wished of our other (non pet) guests. I think we have done so successfully.

Reviewed 17 February 2009

Read prior reviews on TripAdvisor and was impressed that the management would reply to negative reviews which means they definately care about their reputation. This hotel is a great value and fabulous location steps from the lake which makes it loads of fun when traveling with kids. We stayed on the first floor as we found out pets are allowed on the third floor and we had persons with allergies in our party. This hotel is walking distance to Olympic Center, shops, restaurants. We are looking forward to our return.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2009

This was a very nice hotel. We stayed in the South wing which appeared a bit older, but the room overlooked the lake which was very nice. Room was quite large, had a very large bathroom, great down comforter on the bed, and a fridge. Can't complain about the room at all, or the hotel staff. Our only problem was trying to get room service for breakfast. First morning it actually worked, which was nice because we purchased a package where it was included. Our second morning we couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. We went there in person, sat down, and waited ten minutes before anyone would even acknowledge us. So we left and went to the Downtown Diner for breakfast. On our third morning again no one would answer the phone so we could order room service. I sent my husband there to get it "to go" and over 30 mins later he arrived with the food. Not good service at all. Only other problem was they really need to ice/sand down the ramp leaving the parking garage. Took forever one morning (and was quite dangerous) trying to get out of there.

Other than that, we truly enjoyed our stay there and would return back. We think we'll try in the summer so we can do more warm weather activities on the lake.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2009

Thank you so much for you comments. I am so glad you enjoyed the resort and plan to return.
I am sorry to hear you had an issue with service at the restaurant. It is independently owned and managed, however we do work very closely with them and realize any mistakes they make reflect poorly on us. I have already shared your review with the owner of Charlie's and will work with him on finding a solution.
We look forward to your next visit. Please do not hesitate to let our Front Desk staff know if there is anything we can assist you with. We will even run up to the restaurant ourselves and put in your order for you if required. Just let us know.

Reviewed 4 January 2009

Our family has stayed at this hotel many times and always enjoyed the experience of the clean hotel and beautiful setting. However, when we were there this weekend, the drunken guests in the room next door ruined the visit for us. The rowdy group began returning to the room around 11:00 pm, and we put up with the noise until midnight. At 12:15 a.m. with the noise escalating, we called the front desk to ask if they could contact our next-door neighbors and ask them to hold the noise level down. The desk clerk said she would. However, nothing ever happened as far as the noise level was concerned. It kept up at an intense level, with the door to the hall being slammed and guests shouting profanity. It was hard to believe the front desk didn't know what was going on since the offending room was the first room down the hall from the lobby and on the same level as the lobby. This rowdiness continued until 2:30 or 3:00 a.m. This ruined our getaway for a quiet family time. When we checked out the next morning we mentioned that we had been kept up most of the night by drunks, but the only response from the desk clerk was "I'm sorry." We'll think twice about going back.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2009

I am particularly upset with this review. First I am frustrated because the disturbance was being caused by other guests who were not being courteous. Our Night Auditor immediately contacted the offending guests and asked them to keep the noise down or go back to the bar from which they had most likely come. The apologized and promised they would do so. She periodically went down the hall to check on things and all seemed well. She did not hear from the guests that were disturbed after their initial contact.

My greater frustration comes from the fact that after receiving a letter from these guests apprising me of their dissatisfaction with the situation, I promptly responded sending them a very nice letter and a gift certificate for a future stay. Although we do our best to make everyone happy, sometime we can not control the actions of other guests staying at the resort. We try to handle these issues as best we can so that all parties are satisfied. I just wish that some of the clientele that write on social sites such as this would portray the entire story, not just vent their frustrations without mentioning the effort that went into trying to please them.

Reviewed 29 December 2008

My husband surprised me with an overnight getaway to Lake Placid for our 5 year anniversary. Knowing I am kind of picky about where we stay when on trips, he called all of the hotels in LP and decided the Golden Arrow was it.
He was right.
When driving up to the front of the resort, it was gorgeous-all lit up for Christmas, and we could see into the lobby and straight through to the lake, I was already impressed. Parking was a little tricky, my husband is a contractor and drives a big pick-up, not so condusive to a tight parking garage, but I just closed my eyes and let him do his thing parking!
He made all of the reservations and checked us in and out, so I cannot comment on the hotel staff, but the Charlie's restaraunt staff was great. Our waitress at for dinner even gave us a 10% "locals" dicount after asking us where we were from. The food was a little pricey, but good. I had the crepes for breakfast and would have paid any price for them-delicious!
Our room was beautiful, we stayed in the newly build Haystack Specialty room(436 I think). Gorgeous bathroom with modern ameneties, glass door walk in tiled shower. Very nice. The rest of the room was just as beautiful, decent sized stainless mini fridge and microwave(wish we would have picked up some popcorn for movie watching). Absolutely GORGEOUS jacuzzi tub enclosed in cedar wood and framed with pretty sheers,(my husband is 6'4" and could easily strech out in it), very romantic. Also a beautiful push button fireplace trimmed with oak and a large flat panel t.v mounted above. The bed was super soft and comfortable, although I took off the bedspread and just used the down blanket. The comforter was scratchy and kept slipping down. We also had a balcony with stunning views of the lake. Some sort of hardwood floors throughout(not sure if they were real, but beautiful nonetheless). There was a comfortable leather chair and ottoman as well. No wall paper (a plus), painted walls in soothing taupes and sagey greens. Plenty of space for us to get dressed etc. The location was great, we parked when we got there and didn't drive again till we left. We didn't get to enjoy the pool (not enough time), but the common areas we saw were just as beautiful as our room, with rustic hardwoods and modern styled leather furniture. Walking down the hallways and peeking into some of the other rooms, they seemed neat, but dated, and I'm sure I would not have been nearly as impressed as I was with our new room, but I'm sure my husband paid for the luxurious ameneties we received. I'm not sure what the rate was.
We also enjoyed the hotel info. binder. My husband (being kind of a history buff) read it cover to cover and learned someinteresting facts and history about the adirondack region, that even though we live only and hour and a half away, were not aware of. I told him many times how well he did picking out our getaway location, hoping he'll bring me back again soon. If you stay in this room, look for the HEAVENLY bathrobes in the closet that I discovered as I was packing up to leave-wish I would have discovered them earlier so we could have enjoyed them. When we go back I will have to stay in this room, as I am now spoiled with it. Great stay, but too short!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple