“A Pleasant, Relaxing Stay”

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Long Island, NY
“A Pleasant, Relaxing Stay”
Reviewed 29 March 2009

My husband and I decided to take a weekend trip away from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives on Long Island. We decided to take a nice long drive upstate to Lake Placid. A place neither of us have been to so we were kind of "winging it". I did some research on a place to stay. My criteria was a romantic room with a spectacular view, king sized bed, (he's tall) a whirlpool bath, a fireplace and a balcony! The Golden Arrow in Lake Placid offered all of that so we booked a two night stay. I also got the "romantic package" for an extra $100 which included our choice of wine, wine glasses to keep, a wine opener to keep, a coupon for two coffees at their coffee shop, room service for breakfast, an in-room movie and a pass for two for a wine tasting at their store in the cute mall they have attached to the hotel. It was a fantastic value. We were so happy with the place. The town is wonderful, the room was superb, the staff was fantastic...I could go on and on! The Can-Am hockey tournament was going on so they warned us in advance that was happening but assured us that they are not staying in any room above the 2nd floor. We stayed in a lovely room (520) Honestly we were delighted to see all the kids so involved in good clean fun! They were so well behaved and never once disturbed our romantic getaway! Thank you Golden Arrow for making our much needed weekend a special one. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Hebrew first
New York
Reviewed 22 March 2009

THe service and attention was great! Everyone greeted us daily at the front desk and in the hallways. The room was clean and cozy. There was nothing needed and even better equipped with a small fridge and microwave which came in handy for the hot chocolate in front of the fireplace. The location was perfect for walks in town and for dining. What I liked best was the view and the activities available in the resort. We enjoyed the pool area and the game room alot. The only thing that bugged me a little was that during adult pool hours there were kids in the pool horsing around so there wasn't alot of down time for us adults. Security was always present and I felt secure at all times in the resort. It definitely was a great experience and I would highly recommend this resort. I love the history of the resort and the eco-friendly environment. Thanks to the staff for their friendliness and warm attention.

Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed 20 March 2009

Great location right in town. Nice views, clean. Parts of the hotel have been updated and some appear to be in the process. Very large and rambling - might be a problem if mobiltity is an issue but with a 6 year old we spent lots of time exploring! The indoor pool was very attractive but the water was COLD! Our room was very basic, some of the other rooms might be more upscale but for the price it was a good value.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Massachuestts
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Staff gave us a discount for a suite that was lovely. It was very apparent that staff took pride in resort. One downfall was the housekeeping staff did not clean our toilet. A couple of staff at the desk were not to friendly, but the majority were. Bed was very comfortable. Great place to stay. Would not recomend eating at Charlie's (the attached Restaurant) Overprice for medicore food.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 25 March 2009
Thank you so much for writing that nice review and giving us 5 stars! I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. I have already spoken to housekeeping about the toilet issue you described and you can rest assured that it will not happen again. (I am not sure how it happened in the first place as that is obviously very important to the cleanliness of the room.)
As to Charlie's, I have mentioned before they are under separate management so unfortunately I do not have a lot of control over the operation of the restaurant. That said, I do realize that they represent us and vice versa. Our level of service reflects on them and likewise the service they provide reflects on us. We have a very close working relationship with the owners and I will pass on your comments to him and discuss how best to move forward to resolve the issues.
Thank you again for taking the time to write in. I hope you will be our guests again in the near future. Until then I wish you happy & safe travels.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We enjoyed a stay at the Golden Arrow in August and again in January. What a terrific resort. And eco-friendly -- I'm glad to support that. The location is absoultely superb -- fully flush on Mirror Lake with paddle boating in summer and dog sleds in winter, and mountain views. At the same time, the hotel is right in the middle of the village (and a wonderful, charming village at that!). It's also nice to be connected to the village center's indoor mall -- a plus especially in the cold weather. And I must say, the fitness center is the best I've been in for a hotel that's not a full-blown sports spa. Further, for what you get, the rates they charge are quite reasonable for Lake Placid.

There is room for improvement, though. The service in the restaurant was consistently below-standard on both our stays, in August and January -- slow to attend and running out of many items on the menu. The food they finally brought was tasty. But when you're frequenting the hotel restaurant repeatedly over the course of a vacation stay, you expect a menu that reflects items available to order and service that shows eagerness to please. Room service botched up a breakfast order pretty thoroughly too, and brought things cold. The nice thing is, there are many other restaurants within a short walk -- take your pick: delicious, comfortable, elegant, casual, charming, rustic -- Lake Placid has all that, with no fuss.

The hotel itself, apart from the restaurant, provided excellent service.

The rooms are nice, but we liked one better than the other. Having a sink outside the bathroom but not inside takes away from cleanliness a bit. And in the winter, we had trouble with shower temperatures fluctuating jaggedly at apres-ski time. I want to be forgiving of that because the hotel is trying very hard to blaze a trail to environmentally friendlier hospitality; but there is more to be done to reconcile eco-friendly showers with a guest's expectation of a comfortable shower experience.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Maybe I was just relying too much on the positive reviews I read before staying at the Golden Arrow. Regarding the "friendliness" of the staff..ha...Amanda at the front desk is NOT friendly AT ALL!!! After we drove almost 5 hours, we were so happy to get there, we walked in all smiles to check in...and she was just a wretch! My husband, who usually doesnt notice or care about these things said, "man she wasnt so friendly" after we checked in. The next day I had to go to the front desk to barrow a cork screw and she was the same. Im from Connecticut so Im used to snotty people and usually will give a lot of latitude because Im used to snots. Besides that, Charlies restaurant floor was nasty when we had breakfast there....It looked like it had not been vaccumed for a while. And it was 8am so I dont think it was fresh nastyness. Besides, it was like that everyday. The rest of the staff at the hotel was only slightly nicer then Amanda...nothing special AT ALL!!!!! The house keeping personeall were the friendliest people we saw there, always smiling and nice. The room was pretty clean, we stayed in Haystack, which is the new section. and I would highly recommend it as it is laminant flooring cause carpets in hotels can be soooo gross. Room very small, no dressers to put cloths into, just one nightstand with 3 small drawers. I guess you give that up when you want the hottub and fireplace. though which were nice Hottub was great though, it was pleanty big for two. The only thing was that under the desk and bed there was ALOT of dust. And the carpeting in the hallways was kind of nasty.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 9 March 2009
Thank you for sharing your comments. I did also receive the comment card you let at the desk and have spoken to my employee at length regarding your experience. She has asked me to apologize if she offended you, as that was not her intention.

I agree completely about the need for an extra dresser in the Haystack Room. We have been looking for something appropriate for about 3 weeks now and are having trouble finding a piece that will fit the space and is the same high quality (and regulated by sustainable forest) as the rest of the furniture.

I am glad you enjoyed the whirlpool tub and the hardwood bamboo flooring.
Auburn, New York
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Our family has stayed at the Golden Arrow a number of times. We enjoy the convenient location in the heart of the town, and the comfortable feel of the hotel. There are several big name hotels in town, but they lack the Adirondack ambiance of the Golden Arrow. Our kids enjoy the pool, game room and open feeling of the hotel. We all enjoy the convenience of walking to local shops and the choice of restaurants close by.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family