“Perfect Location”

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 June 2009

As you walk into the lobby of this hotel you are taken away by the views! The lobby staff was very welcoming upon our entry and provided us with a nice gift for our anniversary (love the note cards!). We stayed in the Thawus fireplace room 524. We were a little disappointed in the room for the price that we paid. The room does need some updating with fixtures and wall coverings, and the deck though it did have a wonderful view of the lake could barely fit both my husband and I at the same time. Don't think we would again stay in this room. The location of this resort could not be beat! We didn't need to move our car from the parking garage all weekend. The beach area is great and we look forward to bring our children with us in the future to enjoy it. Would visit the resort again but don't feel that this individual room was worth the additional expense. Overall wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2009

Thank you so much for your review of our resort. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us during your anniversary celebration. I apologize that you did not find Tahawus up to our usual standards. It is priced higher than our Deluxe Rooms because it has the additional features of the wood burning fireplace and the whirlpool tub. That said, it is one of our lower priced specialty rooms because we have many others that are larger, have additional features such as additional sleeping space and are newer. I appreciate your sincere feedback though. We are constantly upgrading and renovating our resort. I will certain go take a look at Tahawus and see if it should be added to our list or rooms that it is time to refurbish. We look forward to having you as our guests again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,375)

Reviewed 5 April 2009

We've stayed at the Golden Arrow three or four times over the last five years, and we haven't been disappointed. Our most recent visit, for two nights, was a surprise for my daughter's 8th birthday. First of all, as always, the view from the lobby took our breath away. The staff in the lobby greeted my daughter with a thoughtful happy birthday package and good wishes, which was nice for everyone.
The room was clean, comfortable, and environmentally friendly. This time we opted to stay in one of the rooms with walkout access to the lake beach / playground. This worked out really well for us, as we could keep an eye on our kids and napping baby simultaneously, and as it made bathroom use easier for the kids. And, of course, the view was great. We all enjoyed lying on the beach chairs and looking at the water, using the paddleboats, playing in the sand, and looking at the ducks. We liked walking the Main Street shops and the Alpine Mall. The breakfast place that adjoined the hotel was good. The one diagonally across the street from the Alpine Mall that has outside seating and is attached to another hotel did not have good breakfast food and had bad service. Every time we go to Lake Placid, we have dinner at least one night at the Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood Company, where the food and beer are yummy and the service is good (though last time I went I had their beer sampler which had a lot of beers I didn't like). It is nice to have so much going on without having to get in the car.
My one complaint about the hotel this visit is the pool. This past stay was different in that the pool, which is otherwise nice in a terrific room, was entirely too cold. I understand that they are working to create an environmentally friendly resort, and I respect that, but the pool was just too cold, to the point that it was not usable (other families felt the same way). Luckily for us, the weather was good, so we did not need to go back to the pool. It is a shame, though, because we enjoyed the pool so much in the past.
Overall, this is a wonderful place to visit, relaxing and beautiful, with just the right amount of walkable town accessible.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2009

Thank you so much for your glowing review and for your repeat visits. I was glad to hear that we consistently meet your expectations. After reading your review I went and checked the pool personally. Of course, I am not sure when you stayed here, but earlier in the year we did have a glitch with our heating system in the pool which has since been resolved. I suspect that is when you visited us. The pool is working properly again now, and should be back up to the proper temperature. Our goal is the keep the pool at approximately 80 degrees. We do want to be green, but not at the expense of our guest's experiences. Guest satisfaction always comes first in our book.
We look forward to having you as our guests again in the future. Until then we wish you happy and safe travels.

Reviewed 2 April 2009

The hotel is in the center of the village which is ideal. The view from the lobby is breathtaking. We had stayed for 4 nights. The first two were spent on the village side of the hotel; we couldn't upgrade because the hotel was all booked from some hockey training going on. We were told by one woman that we could upgrade to a lakeview room suite for the last two nights of our stay, seeing that it was going to be after the crowd of people were all leaving sunday, at a discounted rate. When we went down to the front desk on sunday, the man working there said he could not give us a discount on the room price. The hotel was dead, there was nobody there. You would think they would want some extra money than none at all. They allowed us to view the suite rooms first before going ahead and paying the extra expensive upgrade. The suite was not that spectacular. I was expecting it to be a complete overhaul from the deluxe rooms. It was the same bed coverings (the kind you need to bring your own blanket to lay on) the same dirty carpets (with cheese doodles in the corners) --- definately not worth the extra money. The worst part, though, was the fact that when I had called them on our way home on checkout day to tell them I had left my Mary Kay makeup bag behind the bathroom door which was filled with a few hundred dollars worth of makeup and when rolled out is 3 feet long, they did everything in their power to defend the housekeeper. The only people who had access to that room were myself, my spouse, and the housekeeper. It's not a bag you can carry around with you in your purse, therefore, if I don't have it in my luggage or in my car, the only other place it could be is the hotel. Of course, the housekeeper denied any such finding and the hotel defended the housekeeper as if she could never do any wrong. I know for a fact it was left in that room, hanging up on the hook behind the bathroom door. They never even compensated me for my "loss" and made it seem as if I missplaced it and that it will show up somewhere in my possession in the months to come. Horrible customer satisfaction. I would not recommend this hotel to friends or family. If I was shown some honesty or some owning up to the fact that it was taken, maybe this review would be a pleasant one instead of what it is.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2009

I apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay however, I do have to note some glaring discrepancies in your account.

Obviously the most important issue is the missing makeup bag. I have no doubt that you are not in possession of the bag & have misplaced it somewhere. I understand how that would be upsetting. You made that very clear as you were speaking with myself, my front desk manager, my executive housekeeper & her assistant over the past few days. We have torn this hotel apart searching diligently for that bag & have turned up nothing. We spoke to the housekeeper immediately after you called to report it missing, searched her cart, the closet, lost & found, laundry & were unable to locate it. This particular housekeeper has been with us for some time & has never had any incident or occurrence of anything"going missing" on her watch. I have no reason to suspect her of thievery, lying or any other deception that you clearly think took place. It was clear when I spoke to you that you were looking for compensation for the missing item. However, there is no indication, aside from your memory that the last time you saw the bag it was hanging on the back of the bathroom door, that anything illicit took place. Let me relay an example of something that happened here a few years ago. A woman called insisting that she lost her engagement ring. She initially thought that when she put it on the nightstand beside the bed before she went to sleep that it may have fallen to the floor. She did not think of it again until the next day as they were driving home & she noticed the ring was not on her finger. She called frantically asking us to look through the room. We immediately searched the room, moving the furniture, lifting the mattresses, crawling on hands & knees on the floor looking for the ring. We were not able to locate it. The next day she called again accusing the housekeeper of finding it & stealing it. We again searched to room, questioned the housekeeper. She called the police to file a report accusing the housekeeper of taking her ring. She was positive that she had left it on the nightstand & absolutely convinced that someone at our resort had found it & taken it. Two days later her husband was cleaning out his toiletry kit & there was the ring. She had, in fact, taken it off in the bathroom (to lotion her hands, she later told us) & dropped it into his bag so it would not accidentally fall into the sink or be lost. For three days she was absolutely convinced that she had left the ring on the nightstand & it was only after it was found that she realized that her memory was from the previous evening.
Guests leave all sorts of items behind all the time, & not always where you would think. I can not tell you how many pairs of skis we have found in our parking garage or how much clothing in the pool area. When things go missing we have a thorough search policy. When our staff find things there is a lost & found reporting procedure. I believe my staff is trustworthy (obviously). If there is a reason to doubt a staff member we certainly pursue it. However in this case, the only thing casting doubt is your recollection.
Your second issue was the unsatisfactory suite upgrade. I have looked back at your account & you did not upgrade to a suite. You upgraded to a deluxe room (which is the same kind of room you were in initially) on the lakeside instead instead of the village side. The "extra expensive upgrade" fee that you mentioned totalled $20. In addition to that you were on a stay 3 nights, get the 4th night free package. Since the 4th night was already free, no additional discounts were applicable (as it clearly says on our website). If you had wanted the discounted rate, you would have had to pay for all 4 nights which would have been a significantly larger amount of money that the $20 upgrade fee that you chose to pay. We did not force you to switch rooms. You could have stayed where you were at the lower rate if you wished.
Finally, you never reported to us on any of your 4 nights here that either of your rooms was not satisfactorily cleaned. During your numerous interactions with my staff, I would have thought you would brought something like that to our attention during your stay. I sincerely appreciate you bringing it to my attention now.

Reviewed 29 March 2009

My husband and I decided to take a weekend trip away from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives on Long Island. We decided to take a nice long drive upstate to Lake Placid. A place neither of us have been to so we were kind of "winging it". I did some research on a place to stay. My criteria was a romantic room with a spectacular view, king sized bed, (he's tall) a whirlpool bath, a fireplace and a balcony! The Golden Arrow in Lake Placid offered all of that so we booked a two night stay. I also got the "romantic package" for an extra $100 which included our choice of wine, wine glasses to keep, a wine opener to keep, a coupon for two coffees at their coffee shop, room service for breakfast, an in-room movie and a pass for two for a wine tasting at their store in the cute mall they have attached to the hotel. It was a fantastic value. We were so happy with the place. The town is wonderful, the room was superb, the staff was fantastic...I could go on and on! The Can-Am hockey tournament was going on so they warned us in advance that was happening but assured us that they are not staying in any room above the 2nd floor. We stayed in a lovely room (520) Honestly we were delighted to see all the kids so involved in good clean fun! They were so well behaved and never once disturbed our romantic getaway! Thank you Golden Arrow for making our much needed weekend a special one. We will be back!

Reviewed 22 March 2009

THe service and attention was great! Everyone greeted us daily at the front desk and in the hallways. The room was clean and cozy. There was nothing needed and even better equipped with a small fridge and microwave which came in handy for the hot chocolate in front of the fireplace. The location was perfect for walks in town and for dining. What I liked best was the view and the activities available in the resort. We enjoyed the pool area and the game room alot. The only thing that bugged me a little was that during adult pool hours there were kids in the pool horsing around so there wasn't alot of down time for us adults. Security was always present and I felt secure at all times in the resort. It definitely was a great experience and I would highly recommend this resort. I love the history of the resort and the eco-friendly environment. Thanks to the staff for their friendliness and warm attention.

Reviewed 20 March 2009

Great location right in town. Nice views, clean. Parts of the hotel have been updated and some appear to be in the process. Very large and rambling - might be a problem if mobiltity is an issue but with a 6 year old we spent lots of time exploring! The indoor pool was very attractive but the water was COLD! Our room was very basic, some of the other rooms might be more upscale but for the price it was a good value.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Staff gave us a discount for a suite that was lovely. It was very apparent that staff took pride in resort. One downfall was the housekeeping staff did not clean our toilet. A couple of staff at the desk were not to friendly, but the majority were. Bed was very comfortable. Great place to stay. Would not recomend eating at Charlie's (the attached Restaurant) Overprice for medicore food.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2009

Thank you so much for writing that nice review and giving us 5 stars! I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. I have already spoken to housekeeping about the toilet issue you described and you can rest assured that it will not happen again. (I am not sure how it happened in the first place as that is obviously very important to the cleanliness of the room.)
As to Charlie's, I have mentioned before they are under separate management so unfortunately I do not have a lot of control over the operation of the restaurant. That said, I do realize that they represent us and vice versa. Our level of service reflects on them and likewise the service they provide reflects on us. We have a very close working relationship with the owners and I will pass on your comments to him and discuss how best to move forward to resolve the issues.
Thank you again for taking the time to write in. I hope you will be our guests again in the near future. Until then I wish you happy & safe travels.