“Great Hotel, but Housekeeping could do better”

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We stayed at the Golden Arrow for our honeymoon in the Haystack room, which was lovely. We had an oversized shower with a rain shower head, king size bed, jacuzzi next to the bed (although it is not oversized as the description on the website says), a gas fireplace (but no remote) and a balcony overlooking the frozen lake. We also purchased the romance package, which was not worth it, so don't bother. Housekeeping could do a better job... with a shower and jacuzzi, we needed at least 2 towels for each of us, but many times we had 2 or 3. They did not replace our kleenex box which is needed in the winter, and they never once vacuumed our room, which needed it with all the sand and rock salt from outside. But overall, the Golden Arrow was a great hotel and is in a great location. We were in walking distance to lots of shops and restaurants!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2010

Thank you for posting your review of our resort and the Haystack Guest Room. I am glad you liked it. I apologize that housekeeping did not clean to your liking. I have given a copy of your review to our Executive Housekeeper so she can go over it with the person who cleaned your room. I do wish you had called the Front Desk to let us know that you required more towels and/or tissues as we would have fulfilled that request immediately (and also have had someone vacuum it to your liking). It is also funny that you mentioned the fireplace remote was missing as we have noticed that they have been going missing for some reason (even though the TV remotes are right where they should be). We can not figure it out. However, we had ordered some more and they came in last week. So that issue has been solved.
We do hope we see you again sometime in the future. Until then we wish you happy & safe travels.

Reviewed 24 January 2010

Charle's Restaurant is now the Golden Arrow Restaurant and is next to the resort. We went for lunch which was very good but a bit pricey. The atmosphere and service was great.

Reviewed 19 January 2010

I like the Golden Arrow because it is a nice building on a great waterfront lot. I stayed in a suite with my family last June (2009) and then again by myself in August. It has underground parking which is nice for motorcyclists. It's right in the middle of the action. The problem that I have with them is that Lake Placid hosts a lot of events and they use that as the perfect excuse to impose the dreaded '3 night minimum'. This policy should be illegal in every state in my opinion. It doesn't make their accounting easier, it's gouging. Not everyone is in town for 3 days, ever heard of a traveller? This is January. I tried to book a suite for this coming July 29 and 30th and was refused. I tried twice and received the same reply. Three night minimum because of a sporting event in town. My family wants to enjoy our annual summer vacation, why should some sporting event ruin my plans? I'll take my $700-$800 and spend it a cross the road thanks. They send me lovey dovey Christmas cards and say how they are a big family. Unless there is extra money to be made...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2010

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our resort the few times you have stayed here and that you would like to come back to stay again. We would love to have you. I do understand your frustration with the minimum length of stay requirements. However, Lake Placid is an extremely seasonal resort with all sorts of event happening year round. There are certain times of year that are busier than others. We love our guests and want to provide a unique and enjoyable experience for everyone who comes here, but let's be upfront about things - we are running a business. As with most other business models, when demand is high, the prices go up and the restrictions and cancellation policies get more stringent. Likewise, when times are not as busy, the prices fall dramatically and we release the restrictions on the length of stay required and cancel policies. I am certain that if you shop around, you will find that all of the full service resorts in town have comparable length of stay requirements over the same weekends for the same reasons.

If your dates are flexible, we would always assist you in finding a time period to travel to Lake Placid where there is not an event taking place and the pricing and restrictions are more to your liking. For example, the last two weeks in August do not have any major events therefore pricing and lengths of stay are reduced (town wide - not only here at the Golden Arrow).

Reviewed 24 December 2009

Came up to Lake Placid from North NJ to go skiing at Whiteface. Friend signed me up for a deal with the Golden Arrow which was a 4 day/ 3 night stay with 3 day lift tickets for about $175 per person. One of the best dollar for dollar deals I have participated in for a vacation in a while.
Arriving at the Golden Arrow, you are greeted by very friendly receptionists who help check you in. When picking a room, you can select for a view of town or of the (frozen) lake. The lake would be great in the summer but in the winter, it is covered in snow so the view isn't something special. Parking is an underground deck which keeps your vehicle clean from the snow however, my recommendation would be to take an SUV type vehicle as the incline coming out of the lot could be a little steep.
The double room I stayed in was clean, non-smoking, and had a door which lead outside to the front of the resort (it was never opened as it was below freezing every late afternoon/evening). Heating was efficient and under your control. Beds were soft and comfortable with clean linens. Bathroom contained a shower/tub combo which was also clean but water pressure it awfully low so be prepared for mediocre showers. They do offer great, "natural" toiletries called Beekind from the UK. Good stuff in my opinion.
The location of the resort is very convenient. Located in Lake Placid, it is a 15min drive to the base of Whiteface. There is a shuttle which takes you to the mountain as well. A 5min walk will take you to about 10 different restaurants in the downtown area as well as a few stores to shop in.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a clean, convenient place to stay in Lake Placid, the Golden Arrow is your place. I honestly recommend it and would gladly stay there again, as long as the price was as reasonable as what was offered in my last stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 December 2009

We had wonderful memories of the Village of Lake Placid and the Golden Arrow but we hadn't stayed at the Golden Arrow in 14 years, since our daughters were young figure skaters and competed at the Olympic Arena. We had the opportunity to visit Lake Placid again this past November for the Skate America international competition. We booked a room for 3 nights at the Golden Arrow and I was very curious to see how it had held up over the years since our last visit in 1995. Well I can't say enough nice things about the hotel and our stay. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating, the room was large and comfortable with all the modern amenities. The view from the lobby was still just absolutely gorgeous looking out over Mirror Lake. Breakfast at the restaurant was top notch and it was still fun trying to figure out the shortcut to the Alpine Mall. One of the charming things about Lake Placid is that the Village never changes and one of the nice things about the Golden Arrow is that it only changes for the better.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 December 2009

Charlies restaurant has moved on. Look for a new and completely different restaurant run by and for the Golden Arrow Resort.

Reviewed 17 December 2009

This is one of the best hotels I've been to completed with friendly staff and many attractions. My family loved this trip and I for one did too. I went kayaking for the first time. I recommend going in the winter or summer because there are just as many activities in both seasons.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family