“Nice - but could be better for the price”

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
New Milford, Connecticut
“Nice - but could be better for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

We recently stayed at the Golden Arrow (Room 219) while in town for a hockey camp and some R&R. I have to say the location of the hotel is perfect - we hardly moved the car all week which was really nice....especially since parking is so hard to come by in Lake Placid. They gave us a welcome bag when we arrived (bottled water, lip balm, sunscreen, granola bars, chocolates) which was a nice touch.

The room was adequate, though two queen beds would have been much nicer than two double beds. Free Wi-Fi was nice, when it worked...it seemed to go in and out. The room and bathroom were both very clean, and the housekeeping staff kept it that way the whole time we were there (7 days). They were also very pleasant anytime you ran into them in the hall and seemed to enjoy working there. However, the closet in our room (219) smelled like mildew. You could see into the bathroom through a crack in the closet and we think the steam from the shower would seep in causing the mold/mildew problem. On the second day of our stay I filled out a comment card noting the odor and handed it to the front desk. He looked right at it and read it, and I stayed in the lobby for a few minutes, but he never said a word to me....nor was anything done. That to me is unacceptable. If I were the hotel, I would have offered to move the guest to another room, or offer some comped drinks at the bar, or taken a little something off the bill at checkout or something to make up for the problem.

The beach area is nice, though there are some improvements that could be made. More chairs and more life jackets being two of the first that come to mind. People seemed to stake out their spot first thing in the am by putting stuff on the chairs, so we were sometimes out of luck for getting a beach chair and ended up not spending as much time on the beach as I would have liked to.

One of the biggest disappointments was the restaurant. We went for a late lunch, ordered a salad and a soup and it took over 40 minutes to get our food. There were only a couple of other tables seated, so it doesn't seem like the problem was that they were too busy. No apology for the delay, or reason for the delay was ever given. We didn't give it a second chance after that.

We went to the pool one night, also. Someone must had put soap in the hot tub because it had a foot high topping of soap bubbles in it. Luckily there are two, so we just used the other one. When we arrived there were only a few towels left and the used towel bin was full and then piled high. Someone from the staff should be checking the pool area hourly, or at least every other hour to be sure this doesn't happen. We ended up having to call the desk to alert them of the situation.

We loved that the Alpine Mall was connected to the hotel. It was great to be able to walk down there for an early morning cup of coffee/tea. The guy that runs it is really pleasant and does a great job.

Overall, we did enjoy the hotel due to the location and beach, but feel for the price the service should have been much better. I would still recommend it due to the location and will probably stay there again when we are back next summer....but I hope they make some improvements before then and will be keeping my eyes on new reviews.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 1 September 2010
Thanks for your feedback. I agree completely that queen size beds are better than doubles. We have already converted all of the double beds in our specialty rooms and suites to queens and are about 50% of the way through converting the rest of the property. In fact we are getting a shipment of new pillow top, queen size mattresses in this month which will convert the entire third floor. The entire property should be converted to queens within a year or so.

I am so sorry that my front desk clerk did not address your comment card when you brought it to his attention. I will address that with him and send our maintenance person down there today to look at the closet. That seems to be something that could be easily rectified. I apologize that it was not corrected immediately when you identified the issue.

The beach is highly popular in the summer. The complimentary boats are a huge hit. We have about as many beach chairs as can fit on the beach out there. We do not want it to be over-crowded with chairs and boats...kids need room to build their sand castles right? This summer we did purchase 50 beautiful Adirondack chairs which are down on the lawn as well. We have gotten wonderfully positive feedback on them from guests.

I do hope you will stay with us again. All of your comments are great feedback for us. We always strive to be better and will work hard to do so.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Hebrew first
Manlius, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Golden Arrow for a mini-honeymoon getaway. We selected the Haystack Suite and couldn't have been happier with the accomodations.

The room was modern, but cozy and tastefully decorated and it gave us the opportunity to relax after the stress of planning a wedding! The private deck overlooked Mirror Lake and was a great spot to sip wine. The bed and linens were extremely comfortable and the hotel itself was very quiet, making for great sleep! We made good use of the fireplace during the wet weather we had that weekend and wished we could take the soaking tub home with us!! We did visit the hotel's hot tub, pool, and sauna. We especially liked the adult swim time in the late evening for a chance to use the pool facility when it was much less crowded!! In the mornings, I was able to get in a workout in the hotel's fitness room. Although some of the machine were a bit older, I was able to work up a sweat and not disturb my exercise routines while away!

The hotel's central location on Main Street allowed us to leave our car behind and explore the village on foot. We would definitely recommend the suites at Golden Arrow to couples looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Queensbury, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

I found the Golden Arrow to have a great view and in a perfect location for shopping and dining. We never had to use our car for the three days that we stayed there. The room was clean, but not what we expected for the price. We had a hair dryer and iron that did not work very well. We also saw that our bed spread had a blood stain on it.

We choose the hotel because of the private beach and for the use of the canoe, row boat and paddle boat. We found that for a big hotel, there was not enough chairs on the beach. Also, when we took out the row boat, one of our oars broke off. We think the equipment should be looked over once or twice a week even if it is at our own risk.

As far the con's that I mentioned, we did enjoy the view, location,and having the restaurant attached to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Toms River, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

We spent two nights here and the best I can say about this resort was that the bed was very comfortable and the view from the balcony was spectacular. Other than that, I found this hotel left alot to be desired. The indoor pool and hot tubs were cloudy, so we did not go in, which is a shame because it was one of the reasons we picked this resort as we anticipated the lake itself would be too cold for us to swim in (which it was). We had requested the Marcy Room, but were "upgraded" to the Normandy upon check in. What really freaked us out was the black jacuzzi tub in the bathroom with the shower. We didn't dare soak in that and I itched just thinking about what must be living in there, especially after I noticed mold in the grouting of the one corner and fixtures did not match, a clear indication that any renovation that was underway or had occurred was half-a$$ed. Thankfully, the village is full of shops restaurants and things to do and see, so we didn't have to depend on the hotel to keep us busy as I really didn't want to spend time there except to enjoy the view, particularly at dusk and dawn where you can see how Mirror Lake gets its name. To add insult to injury, we had left some clothing in the closet, but when I contacted the hotel about it later, they claimed they did not find any clothing. I loved Mirror Lake and the Lake Placid area, but if I were to return again, I don't think I would stay at the Golden Arrow Resort, except that the location is perfect. It prides itself on being green, but I think they should try to clean up the hotel before they try to clean up the environment. The hotel needs modernizing, upgrading and brighter room decor (w/o the ugly plastic floral arrangement).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
I was surprised to read your review of the Normandy Suite. It is without question one of the most popular rooms in the resort. The difference between Marcy and Normandy is the over-sized soaking tub in the bathroom. I am sorry you did not like that it was a black tub instead of white. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with the color of the tub before.

Although we take pride in our green initiatives, our top priority is the guest experience and guest satisfaction. If you were not satisfied with the room upon your arrival, I wish you would have said something while you were here so we could have addressed any issues you had. I am glad you were able to enjoy Lake Placid and that you liked the view.
Rochester New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

Our entire family from preschoolers to teenagers to senior citizens enjoyed our stay. However, a few improvements could be made. The best features are the terrific location right on Mirror Lake AND in the town of Lake Placid. We all enjoyed the sandy beach with towels supplied and plenty of lounge chairs. Since motors are not allowed on the lake, you can swim out without worrying about being run over by a boat. The adults enjoyed the hot tub and the kids liked the small indoor pool. The decor is quite dated but that did not matter to us. Guests may use an assortment of canoes, kayaks, rowboats and paddle boats. However, the rowboats seemed new but were tippy and had diffculty staying on course; the sit-on-top kayaks were simply awful. Bring your own kayaks and secure them to a tree in the grassy areas. The staff was efficient but only the housekeeping staff said as much as hello. There was only one public computer and no printer, which would have been helpful. All in all it was a good family place at a reasonable price for Lake Placid.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear your family had a nice time with us. I will certainly look at the kayaks and see if there is some deficiency with them. However, if you are a regular kayaker I can see how the sit on top ones might disappoint by comparison. They are much more bulky that regular kayaks. However, they are also significantly less maintenance and have proven to be much more durable, which is why we chose them. We are looking into purchasing a few more for the beach. I will see if there are other options.

I am so sorry that you did not find our staff friendly. We pride ourselves on having exceptionally friendly staff, so I was disappointed to read that that was not your experience. This is not something we take lightly. I have already contacted the Front Desk about being considerate and friendly to guests and plan to speak to everyone individually as well.

It is correct that we do have only one public computer, however we do frequently allow guests to use the computers in our offices if the public one is taken and will always print out anything you need. (We used to have a printer at the public computer, but went through 4 of them in a single month. So now if guests need things printed, we assist them.) There is a wonderful Internet cafe/coffee shop right on premises as well.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

I was so excited to stay here especially since it was my first time up in Lake Placid. I am currently staying in this hotel and it has amazing views but that is the ONLY thing that stands out about it. The first room we were given smelled awful we were given another room which was much better but the door did not work, nor was the key properly programmed, it wasn't until day 3 that we found a courteous staff member (rare occurance) who helped us out and made it work. As I checked out other hotels throughout Lake Placid, I felt worst and worst about my choice to stay at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort. It wasn't horrible but there needs to be a major improvement in ammenities and staff personalities. I stay at many hotels nationally and internationally but this was the most disappointing experience. I happen to work for the Environmental Protection Agency specializing in Indoor Air Quality and was expecting more from this hotel because of the way it promotes itself.

I would like to suggest a few things:

Regarding Kayaking and other boating equipment
- Please hose out your kayaks, life jackets, and all equipment. Not only does it keep things bacteria free but it will help maintain your equipment.
- Get more kayaks, maybe have 6, we watched two fathers arguing over a kayak for their daughters.
- make all you kayaks tandem, that way more than one person can use them. Tandems can be used as a solo or a tandem.
- Get more paddles for your kayaks, a tandem will move fast if both the front and skipper have a paddle. That way someone is not standing around waiting to use the single because they have no paddle.
- the pedals on one of the boats are broken, have them fixed

Regarding Staff
- The staff could be more courteous, even when they aren't busy they are short and slightly rude. Only 2 people stood out and were pleasant. The staff should make you feel right at home and that has not happened during my stay here. They all have a long face and look miserable to be at their jobs. Even if they don't like their jobs they should learn hospitality.

Regarding hotel cleansiness
- I was so excited about the environmental element in this hotel, but indoor air quality was very poor. The rugs may be vacuumed a million times but its time to change them. It has an old, dated, and dirty smell as you walk through the hallways and in the rooms.
- The pool may be heavily chlorinated but it is still dirty as is the sauna. Maybe check out Mirror Lake Inn or Best Western Adirondack Lakeside Inn there pool is crystal clear you can actually see your toes. This is what it should be like at all pools, not dull and murky.
- Get new locks and keys so they function flawlessly

There is much more which I will include in a later review once my trip is complete.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank armina_cd12
I have just sent you a message since you are still here hoping we can get in touch so i can take care of some of your issues for you while you are still staying with us. As I have said in this forum a million times, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let hotel management know about any issues you are having during your stay. There is so much more we can do to correct any issues while you are here than after you have left.
The kayaks have been very popular this summer. We certainly will looking into getting some more and I will take your comments into consideration when purchasing them. That is great feedback for me.
There is no excuse for any staff rudeness which is primarily why I would love to get in touch with you as soon as possible. We have ongoing staff training. Often concrete examples of situations that have recently taken place are wonderful ways to explain to the staff how to better have handled the situation. We pride ourselves on having exceptionally friendly staff, so I was especially disappointed to read that that was not what you experienced. As it is I have already contacted the Front Desk about being more considerate and friendly to guests and plan to speak to everyone individually as well.
We renovate constantly (during the shoulder seasons). I am not sure where your room was located, but we have 2 hallways slated for new carpeting this Fall. These are changes that must be made in all hotels all the time and we love to get guest specific suggestions on that front. We use Bromine in the pool instead of chlorine although that does not explain the cloudiness you describe. I will send someone down there immediately to check the levels and clean the sauna.
I do hope you contact me and that you are still here so we can go over your stay together and I can hopefully address some of your concerns.
Saratoga Springs, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

I've been back to this hotel a few times w/ my kids, so we like it, especially the kids.

The amenities are the draw. It's on Mirror Lake w/ a nice sandy beach w/ kayaks, paddle boats, canoes and row boats to use whenever you want...w/ life vests, and plenty of towels as well. The beach is well kept, I assume they bring in sand every year. It's a great way to enjoy the lake. The views from the lake-front rooms are nice - and the view from the lobby is impressive. Try for a lake front room, ground floor - this way you can let the kids in and out of the hotel room easily, while at the beach. There is an indoor pool as well, which the kids love...and it's a decent sized pool and open fairly late. It has a two whirlppools in the pool area, a sauna, steamroom, and a back room w/ a pool table and ping pong table. There is a fairly small gameroom in the hotel as well - just 5-6 arcade games. Parking in onsite and easy, and the location can't be beat...it's just as you get onto the main street in Placid, easy walk anywhere. The staff was very nice.

Those are all the positives.

The negative is the room itself. Feels old, looks old, and this last trip our closet smelled weird - kinda like old beer. The kids don't care about any of this, of course, because they're consumed w/ the amenities, as am I for the most part. Except for the closet smell, the rooms are in general unoffensive and I found them to be fairly clean, but they're nothing to write home about, to say the least. I would not stay here were it not for the amenities or location. The same could be said of many hotels, though.

If you're looking for a couple's weekend, and you're interested in a high-end room, than you should look elsewhere. If you have kids than this is the best place to stay, IMO. We have a GREAT time here, and I'll be back next summer. I just hope my closet smells a little better next year.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2010
Thank you for your review. I especially liked your pro and con list. I am glad you family has such a lovely time visiting with us. There are a plethora of things to experience. I am sorry you only find our guest rooms adequate and that your closet had an odor. I hope that while you were here you let us know about it so we could take care of it right away. In this forum, there is no way for me to determine what room you were in. We work hard to ensure that all of our rooms have everything a travelling guest might need. Every single room has a refrigerator, coffee maker, iron & board, hairdryer and free WiFi. However, I wonder if you were aware of all of the Suite & Specialty room options we have available. Since you are travelling with your family, upgrading to one of our two bedroom suites may improve your experience. My favorite is the Colden Suite. It is right on the first floor centered on the beach. It has two bedrooms which a shared bath. The location is central in the resort - right on the beach and close to the pool, restaurant and Alpine Mall. Another option which is a bit less expensive is called The Rocky Peak Suite. You can see photos of these suites and more on our website. We look forward to hosting you family again in the future.