We recently stayed at the Golden Arrow (Room 219) while in town for a hockey camp and some R&R. I have to say the location of the hotel is perfect - we hardly moved the car all week which was really nice....especially since parking is so hard to come by in Lake Placid. They gave us a welcome bag when we arrived (bottled water, lip balm, sunscreen, granola bars, chocolates) which was a nice touch.
The room was adequate, though two queen beds would have been much nicer than two double beds. Free Wi-Fi was nice, when it worked...it seemed to go in and out. The room and bathroom were both very clean, and the housekeeping staff kept it that way the whole time we were there (7 days). They were also very pleasant anytime you ran into them in the hall and seemed to enjoy working there. However, the closet in our room (219) smelled like mildew. You could see into the bathroom through a crack in the closet and we think the steam from the shower would seep in causing the mold/mildew problem. On the second day of our stay I filled out a comment card noting the odor and handed it to the front desk. He looked right at it and read it, and I stayed in the lobby for a few minutes, but he never said a word to me....nor was anything done. That to me is unacceptable. If I were the hotel, I would have offered to move the guest to another room, or offer some comped drinks at the bar, or taken a little something off the bill at checkout or something to make up for the problem.
The beach area is nice, though there are some improvements that could be made. More chairs and more life jackets being two of the first that come to mind. People seemed to stake out their spot first thing in the am by putting stuff on the chairs, so we were sometimes out of luck for getting a beach chair and ended up not spending as much time on the beach as I would have liked to.
One of the biggest disappointments was the restaurant. We went for a late lunch, ordered a salad and a soup and it took over 40 minutes to get our food. There were only a couple of other tables seated, so it doesn't seem like the problem was that they were too busy. No apology for the delay, or reason for the delay was ever given. We didn't give it a second chance after that.
We went to the pool one night, also. Someone must had put soap in the hot tub because it had a foot high topping of soap bubbles in it. Luckily there are two, so we just used the other one. When we arrived there were only a few towels left and the used towel bin was full and then piled high. Someone from the staff should be checking the pool area hourly, or at least every other hour to be sure this doesn't happen. We ended up having to call the desk to alert them of the situation.
We loved that the Alpine Mall was connected to the hotel. It was great to be able to walk down there for an early morning cup of coffee/tea. The guy that runs it is really pleasant and does a great job.
Overall, we did enjoy the hotel due to the location and beach, but feel for the price the service should have been much better. I would still recommend it due to the location and will probably stay there again when we are back next summer....but I hope they make some improvements before then and will be keeping my eyes on new reviews.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- “The Only thing we Overlook is the Lake.” Surrender yourself to the untouched beauty of the Adirondack Mountains at the first resort in the United States to receive the Audubon’s Society highest Platinum Eco Rating for Hotels. It’s a place to renew yourself on the serene shores of Mirror Lake, and a place to thrill yourself, just moments from the famed Olympic Village at the heart of Lake Placid, New York. We are proud to offer Deluxe Accommodations as well as over 20 different kinds of suites and specialty rooms. All of our rooms are 100% smoke free, our lake front rooms above ground level have private balconies, and the ground level rooms have large glass doors leading out to a patio. Don’t forget your pup because we are a Pet Friendly resort. The Golden Arrow has an indoor pool, steam bath, two whirlpool hot tubs, and sauna. There is also a private white sand beach that is the perfect place to take in a magnificent panorama of the Adirondack Mountains. In the summer there are complimentary kayaks, canoes, and paddleboats available, we also have an authentic Italian Gondola that can be taken out for a minimal charge. In the winter you can ski, skate, and even take a dog sled ride on Mirror Lake right out our back door. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Arrow Lakeside Hotel Lake Placid
- Hotel Golden Arrow Lakeside
- Golden Arrow Lake Placid