“We came back after 45 yrs ---- still the best views and great staff --- very pleased.”

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2010

In late Aug. 2010, my wife and I returned to the Golden Arrow Resort. We had decided to revisit the Golden Arrow as we were celebrating our 45th wedding anniversery and as part of our original wedding trip we had stayed at the hotel in Aug. 1965. What a wonderful stay we had ---- possibly even better than our first stay. As always the views of the lake are best from the Golden Arrow and no one could expect any thing better from the staff. We felt that every staff member was trying to make our stay a perfect one. The employees at the reception desk were great with their welcome and in answering every question we had. We made use of their knowledge of the area and of the many fine eateries in the Lake Placid area. Much has changed at the Golden Arrow during the last 45 years and all of those changes have made it better. Our room was a delux room with a king bed on the 3rd floor with a lake view ------it was perfect. We had a great view of the lake, Whiteface Mtn and many other wonderful views including a full moon lighting Mirror Lake and the mountains. Another noteable change is the room price: 45 years ago we recall paying about $25 per night ---- which seemed like a hugh amount to two 22 year olds just out of college. We plan to return soon as we think another 45 years won't work well.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Hebrew first
Lebanon, PA
Reviewed 26 August 2010

We stayed here for two nights in early August after not having been to Lake Placid for 16 years. The hotel has a beautiful setting along Mirror Lake and is centrally located in the village making its location convenient. The staff was friendly and our room, overlooking the lake, was clean. The wi-fi worked fine and we used the underground parking. The indoor pool looked nice although we did not get chance to use it; nor did we use the paddleboats, canoes or rowboats which are also provided.
The hotel layout is a little confusing but once you figure it out you're ok. The air conditioning unit in our room was extremely noisy, not when just the fan was running but when the compressor kicked-in; loud enough to disturb sleep. Also the shower head in the bathroom was at a very low height, I don't know why it was mounted so low.
We had one breakfast in the attached restaurant. The food was so-so, the price was ok for breakfast but the service was so slow we did not return.
If in Lake Placid again we would consider staying here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2010

A few weeks ago I began looking for a romantic place to stay in Lake Placid to celebrate getting engaged. I knew I was going to be proposing to my girlfriend on the summit of Mt. Marcy, and needed a place that was close to the high peaks but could accomodate a romantic weekend. In looking at hotel options, I initially leaned towards the Crowne Plaza because the facility looked beautiful and it offered great views of the mountains. However, most of the rooms there looked very cookie cutter, and for the same price I would have paid to stay at the CP I could get a beautiful room at the Golden Arrow.

The owner/manager Jenn was very helpful in accomodating my requests, and her staff had our room (the Marcy Room on the 5th floor) beautifully prepared for us - it literally brought tears to my fiance's eyes when we walked in and had candles lit, a bottle of wine waiting for us, and a great view of the water and the mountains (see pic below). The wood burning fireplace was nice to have on a night where temperatures dropped to 50 degrees, and the vaulted ceilings made the room feel extra spacious.

Since I've relied on this website for unbiased reviews, I want to ensure that there is a complete representation of our experience here. All the great things listed above are reasons we would stay here again, but there are a few things that could stand to be improved upon. The tv in our room was a big disappointment - several pictures on the golden arrow website depict flat screen tv's, and I (incorrectly) assumed that this was the standard in all rooms. It is not, and frankly the tv in our room was a little dated - it looks like something purchased at Wal-Mart in 1997. It worked fine, but again, my expectation in staying at a hotel in 2010 is that there will be a flat screen tv in my room. Also, we had to call repeatedly (5+ times) to order our breakfast the next morning. The restaurant was supposed to open at 7, but we called repeatedly between 7:20-7:40am with no answer. A call to the front desk was met with a response of "just call them back again in a few minutes". When we finally were able to speak to a person in the restaurant (after calling the front desk again and this time formally requesting they personally get someone to answer the phone), they had no idea what coupon we were talking about (romance package breakfast in bed for 2 coupon), and tried telling us we could only order one item (we eventually convinced them we were not making our coupon up, but come on, if this is something included in a package then I think the staff should be aware of it). Lastly, the hallways and room exteriors on the lower level floors left something to be desired - just very worn and dated. The hallways on the higher levels (where we stayed) were fairly plain, not beat up, but nothing special. Don't get me wrong, it's what's inside the room that counts, but on our initial walk to the room I couldn't help but be a little nervous about what I would find when I opened the door.

All in all it was a great weekend, our room was beautiful, the owner/manager accomodated every request I had, and I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 1 September 2010
I am so glad your proposal went well and that you were able to celebrate such a momentous event with us. I am sorry there was not a flat screen TV in your room. We are slowly converting the entire property to flat screen TVs beginning with the suites and specialty rooms, but as I am sure you are aware (if you bought a flat screen and have one at home) they can get very costly, especially when you are purchasing 100 at a time. In some rooms the wiring has to be relocated or the TV itself repositioned. Rest assured we are diligently working on it.

I have researched the issue you had with the restaurant. The hostess who answered the phone when you called was relatively new, and had not encountered the ticket before. What she should have done was just let you know she was new, taken your order and then asked her manager about it after you hung up. I am sorry that did not happen, but it will in the future.

Congrats again on your engagement. I heard the gondola ride i arranged for you went very well. We hope to see you on your anniversary.
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We recently stayed at the Golden Arrow (Room 219) while in town for a hockey camp and some R&R. I have to say the location of the hotel is perfect - we hardly moved the car all week which was really nice....especially since parking is so hard to come by in Lake Placid. They gave us a welcome bag when we arrived (bottled water, lip balm, sunscreen, granola bars, chocolates) which was a nice touch.

The room was adequate, though two queen beds would have been much nicer than two double beds. Free Wi-Fi was nice, when it worked...it seemed to go in and out. The room and bathroom were both very clean, and the housekeeping staff kept it that way the whole time we were there (7 days). They were also very pleasant anytime you ran into them in the hall and seemed to enjoy working there. However, the closet in our room (219) smelled like mildew. You could see into the bathroom through a crack in the closet and we think the steam from the shower would seep in causing the mold/mildew problem. On the second day of our stay I filled out a comment card noting the odor and handed it to the front desk. He looked right at it and read it, and I stayed in the lobby for a few minutes, but he never said a word to me....nor was anything done. That to me is unacceptable. If I were the hotel, I would have offered to move the guest to another room, or offer some comped drinks at the bar, or taken a little something off the bill at checkout or something to make up for the problem.

The beach area is nice, though there are some improvements that could be made. More chairs and more life jackets being two of the first that come to mind. People seemed to stake out their spot first thing in the am by putting stuff on the chairs, so we were sometimes out of luck for getting a beach chair and ended up not spending as much time on the beach as I would have liked to.

One of the biggest disappointments was the restaurant. We went for a late lunch, ordered a salad and a soup and it took over 40 minutes to get our food. There were only a couple of other tables seated, so it doesn't seem like the problem was that they were too busy. No apology for the delay, or reason for the delay was ever given. We didn't give it a second chance after that.

We went to the pool one night, also. Someone must had put soap in the hot tub because it had a foot high topping of soap bubbles in it. Luckily there are two, so we just used the other one. When we arrived there were only a few towels left and the used towel bin was full and then piled high. Someone from the staff should be checking the pool area hourly, or at least every other hour to be sure this doesn't happen. We ended up having to call the desk to alert them of the situation.

We loved that the Alpine Mall was connected to the hotel. It was great to be able to walk down there for an early morning cup of coffee/tea. The guy that runs it is really pleasant and does a great job.

Overall, we did enjoy the hotel due to the location and beach, but feel for the price the service should have been much better. I would still recommend it due to the location and will probably stay there again when we are back next summer....but I hope they make some improvements before then and will be keeping my eyes on new reviews.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Thanks for your feedback. I agree completely that queen size beds are better than doubles. We have already converted all of the double beds in our specialty rooms and suites to queens and are about 50% of the way through converting the rest of the property. In fact we are getting a shipment of new pillow top, queen size mattresses in this month which will convert the entire third floor. The entire property should be converted to queens within a year or so.

I am so sorry that my front desk clerk did not address your comment card when you brought it to his attention. I will address that with him and send our maintenance person down there today to look at the closet. That seems to be something that could be easily rectified. I apologize that it was not corrected immediately when you identified the issue.

The beach is highly popular in the summer. The complimentary boats are a huge hit. We have about as many beach chairs as can fit on the beach out there. We do not want it to be over-crowded with chairs and boats...kids need room to build their sand castles right? This summer we did purchase 50 beautiful Adirondack chairs which are down on the lawn as well. We have gotten wonderfully positive feedback on them from guests.

I do hope you will stay with us again. All of your comments are great feedback for us. We always strive to be better and will work hard to do so.
Manlius, NY
Reviewed 24 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Golden Arrow for a mini-honeymoon getaway. We selected the Haystack Suite and couldn't have been happier with the accomodations.

The room was modern, but cozy and tastefully decorated and it gave us the opportunity to relax after the stress of planning a wedding! The private deck overlooked Mirror Lake and was a great spot to sip wine. The bed and linens were extremely comfortable and the hotel itself was very quiet, making for great sleep! We made good use of the fireplace during the wet weather we had that weekend and wished we could take the soaking tub home with us!! We did visit the hotel's hot tub, pool, and sauna. We especially liked the adult swim time in the late evening for a chance to use the pool facility when it was much less crowded!! In the mornings, I was able to get in a workout in the hotel's fitness room. Although some of the machine were a bit older, I was able to work up a sweat and not disturb my exercise routines while away!

The hotel's central location on Main Street allowed us to leave our car behind and explore the village on foot. We would definitely recommend the suites at Golden Arrow to couples looking for a romantic getaway.

Queensbury, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I found the Golden Arrow to have a great view and in a perfect location for shopping and dining. We never had to use our car for the three days that we stayed there. The room was clean, but not what we expected for the price. We had a hair dryer and iron that did not work very well. We also saw that our bed spread had a blood stain on it.

We choose the hotel because of the private beach and for the use of the canoe, row boat and paddle boat. We found that for a big hotel, there was not enough chairs on the beach. Also, when we took out the row boat, one of our oars broke off. We think the equipment should be looked over once or twice a week even if it is at our own risk.

As far the con's that I mentioned, we did enjoy the view, location,and having the restaurant attached to the hotel.

Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We spent two nights here and the best I can say about this resort was that the bed was very comfortable and the view from the balcony was spectacular. Other than that, I found this hotel left alot to be desired. The indoor pool and hot tubs were cloudy, so we did not go in, which is a shame because it was one of the reasons we picked this resort as we anticipated the lake itself would be too cold for us to swim in (which it was). We had requested the Marcy Room, but were "upgraded" to the Normandy upon check in. What really freaked us out was the black jacuzzi tub in the bathroom with the shower. We didn't dare soak in that and I itched just thinking about what must be living in there, especially after I noticed mold in the grouting of the one corner and fixtures did not match, a clear indication that any renovation that was underway or had occurred was half-a$$ed. Thankfully, the village is full of shops restaurants and things to do and see, so we didn't have to depend on the hotel to keep us busy as I really didn't want to spend time there except to enjoy the view, particularly at dusk and dawn where you can see how Mirror Lake gets its name. To add insult to injury, we had left some clothing in the closet, but when I contacted the hotel about it later, they claimed they did not find any clothing. I loved Mirror Lake and the Lake Placid area, but if I were to return again, I don't think I would stay at the Golden Arrow Resort, except that the location is perfect. It prides itself on being green, but I think they should try to clean up the hotel before they try to clean up the environment. The hotel needs modernizing, upgrading and brighter room decor (w/o the ugly plastic floral arrangement).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
I was surprised to read your review of the Normandy Suite. It is without question one of the most popular rooms in the resort. The difference between Marcy and Normandy is the over-sized soaking tub in the bathroom. I am sorry you did not like that it was a black tub instead of white. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with the color of the tub before.

Although we take pride in our green initiatives, our top priority is the guest experience and guest satisfaction. If you were not satisfied with the room upon your arrival, I wish you would have said something while you were here so we could have addressed any issues you had. I am glad you were able to enjoy Lake Placid and that you liked the view.