First and foremost... we did not stay at the Mirror Lake Inn, although we definitely will if/when we return to Lake Placid. It's rustic and charming with a lodge feel... exposed wood beams, leather chairs and lots of little screened in porches to enjoy. We toured all the major resorts, and liked the Mirror Lake Inn atmosphere/ambiance the best. That's why I rate it as "very good" even though we had such a strange encounter...
We returned to Mirror Inn one night for drinks at the Bistro Bar. Loved the looks of this place, and the fellow guests were all relaxed and friendly. Now for the weird part. My husband is a chatter, sales type personality. He loves people and firmly believes getting to know the people in a place is as important as the place itself. So... he asks the bartender if she is a local. She replies "No, I drive from Florida every day." A rather strange response, but we give her the benefit of the doubt and take it as a joke that flopped. Then husband starts talking about skiing and asks her if she enjoys it. She answers one syllable "Yes." Ding Ding Ding... common interest! Perhaps husband should have stopped there. He then tells her we have never skied the East Coast, but ski Colorado frequently. She then uses the mocking "whoo" sound that goes up and down the scale to denote "wow, aren't you cool." Wow. I think she must have been having a REALLY bad day. I have never heard my husband mocked before. On the plus side, her responses provided our family with much laughter over the next few days trying to out "sarcast" each other and use the "whoo" sound whenever possible.
Seriously, we own a retail store. I know it's hard to put your best face forward each and every day, but if you are in customer service, it's part of your job to be friendly and welcoming. We would have been happy with just not rude! We'll be back, but is she scaring off others?
This did not put me off from wanting to stay at Mirror Inn, but I would peak around the corner to see if she was working before I had a drink at the bar... or at least wear my flak jacket.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The distinguishing feature of this inn, which has been in business since 1924, is that all 131 rooms have a view of Mirror Lake and the Adirondack Mountains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, TravelClick, Priceline, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mirror Lake Hotel Lake Placid
- Mirror Lake Inn Resort And Spa
- Mirror Lake Resort