“Great Get-a-way in the Mountains” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa

Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Wantagh, New York
“Great Get-a-way in the Mountains”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

Mirror Lake Inn is located walking distance to the town of Lake Placid. No need to drive in this community. My husband and I stayed in a suite in the Lake Cottage with a large balcony and great view of the lake and the mountains. The room was well equipped and the service was splendid. Swimming in Mirror Lake was one of the many highlights of this long weekend. The lake is clean (and a warm 76 degrees at this time of year), and towels are provided to guests of the hotel. Kayaks and paddle boats are also available to hotel guests on a first come, first serve basis. I highly recommend stopping in at Jones Outfitters on Main Street and inquiring about hiring a guide for hiking or fishing. My husband and I hired Zac Horrocks for a three hour private fishing expedition in the wee hours of the morning. We not only caught a great sunrise over the mountains, we also caught five lake trout and one bass. Don't forget to bring your fishing license (or you can conveniently purchase one right at Jones Outfitters). Zac is personable and friendly, and he made the trip even more enjoyable by providing entertaining stories and history on the camps situated on the lake. Food at the Cottage was dynamite, and live music was provided on Friday and Saturday nights at the Cottage and le Bistro (both located at the resort). The gym is also well equipped and is open long hours for the exercise enthusiast. My husband and I stayed three nights and it was a perfect place to get away from it all and relax in beautiful surroundings in a hotel with great service. I highly recommend the Inn and would go back again.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kinzer1
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Great getaway in the mountains

Thank you for being our guest! We are glad that you thought Mirror Lake Inn was a perfect place to get away from it all and that you enjoyed your long weekend in our Adirondack Suite in the Lake Cottage. It’s nice to hear that you had a wonderful experience with your private fishing expedition and caught 6 fish! Congratulations! We look forward to your return and thank you for recommending us!

Carl Gronlund

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Polish first
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

First and foremost... we did not stay at the Mirror Lake Inn, although we definitely will if/when we return to Lake Placid. It's rustic and charming with a lodge feel... exposed wood beams, leather chairs and lots of little screened in porches to enjoy. We toured all the major resorts, and liked the Mirror Lake Inn atmosphere/ambiance the best. That's why I rate it as "very good" even though we had such a strange encounter...

We returned to Mirror Inn one night for drinks at the Bistro Bar. Loved the looks of this place, and the fellow guests were all relaxed and friendly. Now for the weird part. My husband is a chatter, sales type personality. He loves people and firmly believes getting to know the people in a place is as important as the place itself. So... he asks the bartender if she is a local. She replies "No, I drive from Florida every day." A rather strange response, but we give her the benefit of the doubt and take it as a joke that flopped. Then husband starts talking about skiing and asks her if she enjoys it. She answers one syllable "Yes." Ding Ding Ding... common interest! Perhaps husband should have stopped there. He then tells her we have never skied the East Coast, but ski Colorado frequently. She then uses the mocking "whoo" sound that goes up and down the scale to denote "wow, aren't you cool." Wow. I think she must have been having a REALLY bad day. I have never heard my husband mocked before. On the plus side, her responses provided our family with much laughter over the next few days trying to out "sarcast" each other and use the "whoo" sound whenever possible.

Seriously, we own a retail store. I know it's hard to put your best face forward each and every day, but if you are in customer service, it's part of your job to be friendly and welcoming. We would have been happy with just not rude! We'll be back, but is she scaring off others?

This did not put me off from wanting to stay at Mirror Inn, but I would peak around the corner to see if she was working before I had a drink at the bar... or at least wear my flak jacket.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MelvinaSt.Louis
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
Dear Guest,

This review truly puzzles us. We have only one female bartender who is one of the friendliest and most customer oriented staff members we have. I couldn’t imagine her ever treating a guest this way. Even after reading your review all she could say was this was not me.

We take all of the feedback we receive very seriously whether it is written, verbal or on-line posts. We make many decisions based on this feedback. If you have any more details that would help us clarify your post I would appreciate it if you could pass them along. If there is any accuracy to this at all I would certainly like to address it immedialy however, I would truly regret taking any action that was not warranted.

Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

Beautiful property, a bit expensive but worth it. My parent room was a normal two full beds with a beautiful Mirror Lake view, our bedroom was a beautiful, romantic king bed with the most beautiful view ever. The breakfast was good at the view restaurant, the host wasnt to nice but our waiter was good. So nice to come back from canoeing and a butler was waiting with cookies, tea, cofee, and water for the guest, nive touch. Love ther beach, was so cute, with lots of things to do, indoor pool, outside pool. We ate at The View as well at the Shack and we like the Shack better. Love to go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Thank you for being our guest! We are glad you felt that our property was beautiful, the rooms had a great view and that breakfast was good. It was also nice to hear that you enjoyed The Cottage, afternoon tea, coffee and our homemade chocolate chip cookies in the living room. We look forward to your return!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

A great historic property, kept in superb shape. Many details are not overlooked. However, service is key and it falls short in professionalism with certain areas: The Cottage and the lounge next to The View. These are reasons why we prefer Lake Placid Lodge.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Thank you for being our guest and for noticing how well maintained the Inn is and our attention to details. We receive many positive comments in all of our restaurants. I am sorry that service fell short when you visited The Cottage and Taste Bistro. I hope you mentioned this when you were here so that we could do something to correct the situation. I also hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ocean, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

This time we were a 'day' guest at Mirror Lake Inn just for the day spa, but as usual, they exceeded expectations!!! I brought my 14-yr old daughter for her first 'real' pedicure and the hot stone massage, wax dip and fabulously friendly treatment was divine! Mary and Tiffany were relaxed, professional, and typify everything we love about this resort - rustic luxury with genuine hospitality. From Katie in the dining room to Debra on the info desk, everyone is wonderful everytime we come and visit the North Country.

Room Tip: Rooms are simply appointed and have fabulous views in the Mtn View building.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

Whatever the owners of the resort are doing, they should keep doing it. My husband and son and I stayed here for a week over the 4th of July, one of their busiest weeks. The service was casual but elegant and nearly flawless.

At no time, in all the encounters we had with staff, was anyone less than friendly, courteous, and capable. I have no idea how they were able to train a bunch of 20- and 30-something American kids to never have attitude and always be helpful in a service setting, but they did it. And mainly because of this, as well as the sports activities and gorgeous view, we will definitely be back.

The pros: the setting is absolutely gorgeous, directly on Mirror Lake Inn, which is a few-minute drive to Lake Placid. The Inn has a boathouse on the lake where they have free rentals of kayaks and rowboats for guests, with no time limit on any, and enough boats to go around even during crowded times. There is a swim dock and a shallow beach for the kids. Lounge chairs and towels on the grass. The water is clear, cool and amazing. Lots of triathlon trainers abound.

The outdoor pool is OK, nothing great, but the indoor pool is a sight to behold. It's new and designed like a hunting lodge with a beautiful hot tub (which was completely empty). Spa was excellent as well.

Rooms are fine, generous sizes. Be sure to get one with a view of the lake. We were in the newer section of the inn (as opposed to the main house) and it was fine. We stayed on the 3rd floor and the view was perfect.

The View restaurant was delicious and highly rated. If you arrive at 5 they feed your children for free. Excellent service. They provided our antsy 2-year-old with toys and foods so we could relax. They were friendly and actually encouraged children to dine in this 4-star restaurant at this hour. Heaven for parents who are traveling without their sitters.

CONS:

1. The Cottage, a small lakefront restaurant run by the inn which is extremely popular, should absolutely take reservations from hotel guests. This is a crowded restaurant with lines for lunch and dinner and no more than a handful of outdoor, lakefront tables. Guests paying $450 a night to stay the hotel should have first preference for tables. (I realize that the hotel is pushing its guests to dine at the two excellent restaurants in the main inn, where reservations are taken, but The Cottage is where everyone wants to be.)

2. Really? You still charge (and outrageously so) for WiFi? On a $450 a night hotel? Was I transported back to 2005?

3. The women's spa waiting room has one very cozy couch, which is great for two friends or two strangers who are comfortable being in nothing but a robe and practically sitting on each other's laps. The only other chairs were rock hair and not relaxing (at all). I would redesign this room to make more solo chairs for people to feel comfortable before waiting for their treatments.

4. We had to call for turndown service. It's available but we seem to had to call nearly every night to remind them or they would forget. There was nothing in terms of signs in the room that indicated this was an available service or that you had to call for it. With a toddler we really needed this and the few nights they forgot we ended with no dry towels, etc.

In all a great experience for an independently run inn. Be sure to eat the Whiteface Resort's waterfront restaurant, about 10 minutes from the hotel, for an amazing view of Lake Placid . The Inn's front desk can give you the number.

And oh yes -- there were fresh, free cookies at the desk. Always!

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank neptuno3
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

My spouse participated in the Ironman triathlon. The Mirror Lake Inn was a perfect base for the events. My kids loved the beach and both pools. Not cheap, but well worth it! We'll be back! and the chocolate chip cookies are to die for!

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family