“Well deserving of high rating”

Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Long Island, NY
“Well deserving of high rating”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This is a well run, friendly small hotel. The View & Bistro Restaurants are excellent. The View is pricey but elegant. We were not as thrilled with the other hotel's restaurant which was across the street - The Cottage. On the weekends there is a buffet breakfast which is good but I would recommend walking into town and trying one of the restaurants there (there's a really nice crepe place) for breakfast for a more reasonable price.. There are boats on the lake that you can use for free as well as a small beach. The lobby area is interesting and lovely and the grounds are well-kept. The spa was very nice and very professional but the service costs were also on the high side. The gym was more than satisfactory and the pool area was nicely done. We didn't come across any employee who wasn't great and professional. We really liked our room and were impressed by not only the lovely view but by some of the amenities and the soft robe. The hotel is very close to the town but not right in the middle, which is good. The town is a nice one to walk through and there are many decent restaurants. We would definitely recommend this hotel. It doesn't come cheap but the service is great.

Room Tip: Their website describes everything very well - go by what they tell you
2 Thank Hotdog18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Polish first
Upstate New York
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We recently visited the Mirror Lake Inn for the weekend. We have stayed here many times but this was the first time we had stayed in a Marcy room. We were on the top floor of the building and our room had vaulted ceilings and spectacular views. The room was, as always sparkling clean and beautifully furnished.

As part of the spa getaway package, we received two spa services with our room. My husband wasn't interested in the spa so I was able to use his service. The spa is nicely appointed and everyone is very friendly. They seem to truly like their jobs. The spa is downstairs so there is no natural light which is too bad considering the beautiful views just outside the door. My friend and I both received the Classic Facial and the Aromatherapy Massage. Both services were very nice. The facial was really fantastic. While the aesthetician is working on your face, your hands and arms are massaged with lotion, wrapped in cloth and then placed in warming mitts. My skin felt renewed and super after the facial. The massage was very nice. Hot towels are wrapped over each area after massaging. The only issue was at the end of the massage, she forgot to take the hot towels off of my feet. She was half way out the door when she remembered, removed them and I was able to move from the table. My friend and I were then on our way to find our rooms.

We were able to kayak around the lake both mornings of our trip. This was so peaceful and relaxing. Mirror Lake is such a peaceful lake thanks to no motorized boats in the water. The attendant at the beach was very helpful. You can take out kayaks, canoes, row boats and paddle boats. There is also a nice little beach area with plenty of chairs and lounges.

The breakfast buffet was very good, as always. Our waiter could have been more friendly. It seemed like we were bothering him a little. He never told us to go up for the breakfast buffet. Finally, we just went up, hoping that was OK. The couple next to us said they had the same experience. The food was great, plenty of choices and all prepared perfectly- it more than made up for the waiter's less than enthusiastic service.

Now, just a couple of things to make this great place even better- The hallways and gathering spaces are very warm in the warmer months. The living room seems to have very little air circulation. A ceiling fan, open windows, etc. would help. It was too warm to sit and enjoy reading the paper. Some of the areas need a little sprucing up- the stairwells are sponge painted and some dark cobwebs lurk in high places.

Overall, we love the Mirror Lake Inn. It is a gem of a place that we will return to again. On checkout, my husband asked about the music playing in the room (on a CD in the alarm clock). The very helpful man at the front desk offered to get him a copy and encouraged him to have a chocolate chip cookie or two while he waited! Kudos to him for going out of his way for us.

1 Thank Pialry
, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Thank you for being our guest and your kind comments and constructive concerns. We strive to provide the type of experience you had and are happy that you enjoyed yourself.

Based on your comments we are upgrading our air conditioning facilities in some of our common areas.

Thank you again for your thoughts. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Rochester,NY
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We just returned from an excellent stay at Mirror Lake!! We took my parents there to celebrate their 50th anniversary. From check-in with friendly and helpful staff, explaining our package to offering us cookies and tea, you feel instantly welcomed. Our rooms were clean and very comfortable. We have stayed here before and always enjoyed ourselves but bringing my parents with us was even more special. They helped to celebrate my parents' anniversary by surprising them with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. It's these little touches that put them above the rest. Every time we walked thru the lobby, we were always greeted. The staff is truly friendly. The mountain view rooms are my favorite. They overlook Mirror Lake with the mountains beyond the lake. The pool and hot tubs are very nice. They even have their own beach area and free boats to take out on the lake. We had fun on the kayaks even though it was cool and misty. We will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Mountain view Noonmark rooms are my favorite
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cj-poohfan
PA
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Location, location, location. What great views! I love Lake Placid and Mirror Lake Inn any time of year. Very special place, lots to do. Hotel offers may great options in terms of rooms, spa, outdoor activity, dining etc. Just book it! I travel here often for long weekends, all the way from Philly, simple drove, but give 4 days/a longer weekend if coming in from Philly or Baltimore/DC area.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Unadilla, New York, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2012

They all made you feel like family there, so nice. It is the farthest away from conference place but we walk the extra distance just to stay there.

Room Tip: Just stay there an feel like family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Craig Y
North Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 2 June 2012

But before I start slamming the establishment, I will say - it is a nice place. The restaurants look nice (that is if you can afford $35 entrees), the common areas of the hotel are reminiscent of a really wealthy person's living room. It's really nice. However... our room (one of the cheaper rooms here) starts out at $375/night. What you get is well, a nice hotel room and that's about it. I've also had nice hotel rooms with great service at the Holiday Inn Express for under $150 a night. The room has some nice touches... private balcony, spacious room, nice decor, crown molding, wet bar, a really nice bathroom, with a big tub, etc. But would I pay $375/night for it? No. Maybe it's me - I grew up blue-collar working class and I don't do "fancy" very well.

But... for $375/night, I do expect more. I expect a 42" HDTV hanging on the wall, not a 25" old RCA TV sitting in a wardrobe cabinet being supported by a couple of 1x2" pieces of lumber because the cabinet wasn't designed for that purpose. I expect free wi-fi - not $9.99/night (I lucked out and got a good signal from another hotel across the lake and/or tethered my phone to my laptop). I expect some pampering as part of the room rate - not the a la carte menu of very expensive massages, room service, in-house restaurants, etc. I expect to see exterior stone work, stucco not falling apart from our balcony. I expect a full view of Mirror Lake - and not the back of the main building and overgrown shrubs. I expect not to see the cable TV wire for our room laying across the balcony. I expect not to stub my toe on the baseboard heater between the bed and the wall that you don't expect to be there. I expect the curtains for the sliding glass door to close all the way and not leave a 3" gap letting light in.

But for $375/night for their more basic room and the lack of attention to detail - I'm guessing either the owners are laughing all the way to the bank as the resort seems to be well booked - so why change? Or they're in dire financial straits and don't have means to go over the property with a fine-toothed comb.

I've done the resort thing before elsewhere - and the nightly rate did include dining, sometimes a quick complimentary massage, etc. I can't even say this place nickle and dimes you - they more like $20 and $50 you every step of the way. If you can afford to spend that kind of money - then hey, you'll have a great time here. If you're looking for value - there's other places on Mirror Lake that provide more affordable options.

Maybe I'm just not the demographic Mirror Lake is looking for. We're middle class - make good coin, but we're not affluent either. Maybe I'm just bored because it's cold and rainy this weekend - and the only thing to do around here is shop, dine and take on more expensive things like tours of the Olympic arenas and whatnot. I'd rather be paddling around the lake in a complimentary kayak or fishing - but it's in the mid-50's and raining on and off. The resort can't control the weather in the ADK - and we've been rained out before camping at the nearby ADK Loj. It happens.

As the title of my review says, I really want to like this place. But I'm just not feeling the love here.

Room Tip: Avoid the Noonmark rooms if you want a view of the lake.
5 Thank Nessman1
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Thank you for being our guest. As you rightly said we are a nice place. Your reviews over the last 2 years indicate you’ve stayed at 3 Holiday Inn Express, 2 Econo Lodges, a Quality Inn, a LaQuinta Inn, a Red Roof Inn and a Motel 6. We are different than those places. I’m sorry you were unhappy and sorry it rained while you were here.

At the time you were here the rate for your room was $233, not $375 as you stated. However, you did not pay since you were here on a charitable donation we gave.

Entrees at the restaurants in the hotel start at $15 and our early family dining program allows children to eat free.

It has always been our philosophy to offer quality amenities to our guests and our secure high speed wireless network is another example of this. Our guests expect us to protect their privacy and confidentiality during their stay. Availability to a secure Wi-Fi network is one way we can meet these expectations. There is a substantial cost to installing, having 24 hour support, and maintaining a secure network over 7 acres such as ours and in this day and age one cannot put a price on the value of a secure network. The free Wi-Fi you logged onto from another property in town anybody can access, including a hacker.

Albany, NY
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This once classy and elegant resort has taken a turn for the worse and all the chocolate chip cookies in the world cannot fix bad. We have in the past enjoyed our visits at this once nice resort our experience on Memorial Day weekend was not a good one. We had paid up front for a two night stay on our second night the power went out, while we waited for a generator to kick on my husband called the front desk. We were told that that the front desk would bring flash lights to our room so we could shower "REALLY", OK we are not paying for camping. So we paid a great deal of money to watch a 15 year old TV, and shower in the dark, common Mirror Lake Inn, there are flat screen TV s now. Our experience at the Cottage was also less than favorable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 14alnjan
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Thank you for being our guest. We are sorry that you were inconvenienced by the power outage. We did not receive 1 complaint from any of our other guests. They were all very understanding and appreciated our efforts (providing flashlights, etc.) even though the inconvenience of not having power only lasted about one half hour unlike the 11,000 people that are still without power in upstate New York.

Apparently our not meeting your loud public demands for compensation led to your harsh comments about our resort that you previously visited often. We did however alter our gift certificate program to meet your other demands.

The TV in your room is a flat screen (but not LCD), which produces exactly the same quality reception as an LCD as HD is not readily available in this area. We feel, until the signal catches up, it would be frivolous and environmentally unsound to replace these perfectly working TV’s for “image.” Most people come here for the Adirondacks.