Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed 15 August 2012

MLI is no doubt in a beautiful setting, their lake access is great, availability of kayaks/boats to take out plentiful, but....we paid over $400 a night to stay in a room that was dark, dank and in need of an overhaul. Definitely not worth the price. I was a bit surprised that they've managed to remain part of the Small Luxury Hotel Network.

Room Access, at least where we were staying (Mountain View house?) was difficult, you needed to climb a set of stairs before you could take an elevator to the second where we were staying. There were no bell hops to help upon checkin. The property is just awkward, almost as if they've expanded without much thought to access.

We did like/appreciate now cell phones allowed in the public areas of the property. We were traveling with our 3/12 and 6 1/2 year old. The property has activities available for them, but at an extra cost. Also, WIFI is $14 a day - crazy!

Room Tip: anywhere but the Mountain View complex
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sadielong
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest. The Mirror Lake Inn is more of a classic Adirondack Resort, opposed to a modern city type hotel and our rooms and common areas reflect the decor that is traditionally found in the Adirondacks. We do have bellman available to assist with luggage and it is standard for us to offer this at check in and checkout. I am sorry if this was not offered to you. In the future please do not hesitate to ask for assistance with anything you may need as we are here to help. Unlike most hotels that build their rooms off both sides of a corridor, we have our property laid out off one side of the corridor so that every room is ensured exceptional lake and mountain views and most have balconies. This is why the resort is spread out more than others. We have several free activities for our guests (including children). To name a few: swimming in the heated outdoor pool, indoor pool and private beach, tennis court, canoes, kayaks, paddle boat, row boat, afternoon tea, coffee and homemade chocolate chip cookies and a fitness room. Unlike many resorts we do not charge a resort fee for our amenities. These fees can range from $20-$50 and as high as $180 per night at similar properties. Additionally we do not charge a parking fee.

Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here during the IronMan as a special treat. We booked this hotel thinking it was the nicest in the area but for the money, I think I would rather spend a few hundred more per night and stay at the Lake Placid Lodge. With all the awards and hype about this hotel on Trip Advisor, I did not expect to have a super loud wall unit air conditioner (found in most motels) that was so loud it gave me a headache every night. I called the front desk & told them about it (about 2 days into our stay). They apologized right away and said they would send someone up as we left to head out. They sent someone out but nothing changed. No one followed up with me to ask if the situation had improved or anything. I did not want to complain during our trip and ask for some kind of rebate. I would expect something to come from the hotel. I figured, I would wait until our trip was done and see if they really cared. The answer is no, so here is my review on the negative side as a result. As someone who loves luxury and pampering, this is not the best in the area. I would have felt better spending more at the Lake Placid Lodge or getting a nice budget deal in a very clean and spacious room at Art Devlin's. Yes Art Devlin's motor lodge had more accommodating staff that Mirror Lake Inn. No wonder it is rated high on Trip-Advisor.
Also, if you stay here for IronMan you are so far away from the start that it's annoying. When I called to book our stay the reservationist said that the start was right outside their door, not so. Its about 2 miles away. You can see the swim from their beach in the distance but it is no way close. If you are not staying during IronMan the location is a good thing since it is out of the hustle & bustle of main street so you get that quiet calm feeling when you head up to your room (very steep drive to walk up).
We stayed in the Cloudsplitter room - 3rd floor. The room was good sized, clean & had a fantastic view of mirror lake and the surrounding mountains but that is about all that was special about this room.

Room Tip: Cloudsplitter room, upper floor. Also saw the lakeside cottage, not sure what the specs are on that...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Deena B
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Thank you for being our guest and for your feedback. We are glad you found your room to be a good size, clean and had a fantastic view of the lake and mountains.

We are very sorry that you experienced a problem with the air conditioner in your room and that we did not fix it immediately. It is our procedure to follow up with the guest to make sure the problem has been resolved and I apologize that this did not happen. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

We looked at many places to stay...but, this is the place. It is gorgeous, staff is lovely. Can't say enough nice things about this breathtaking resort. Cannot wait to come back with our family. From the minute you walk through the doors, you feel welcomed.

Room Tip: Anything with a view is sublime!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sami P
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We spent one night at the Mirror Lake Inn during a road trip through the region. The Inn is well maintained and the grounds festooned with summer flowers. Upon arrival, we were offered a choice of accommodation (as the Inn was not full) and our room was spacious and comfortable (although a bit dark) and our balcony afforded a lovely view of the lake. Supper in the dining room was excellent although we had the distinct feeling that our seating location reflected the fact that we were not lodge 'regulars' (same seating for breakfast next morning!)

Before leaving the Inn, we indulged in spa treatments which were outstanding. The spa is well equipped, the staff are excellent and we left feeling relaxed and ready for the next leg of our journey.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank MmeMac_TO
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This was our second stay and overall, the experience is pretty wonderful. The staff is great and very friendly and the location really can't be beat. Great views from everywhere and there are many beautiful, relaxing spaces that you can enjoy with some privacy, even in the common spaces. It's also a very quick and easy walk into town. I would suggest this resort for couples with very small kids (i.e., babies or toddlers) or couples without kids. We found, however, that for our 5 year old there just wasn't enough to do at the hotel itself and while the inn is extremely accommodating to people with children-- which I appreciate immensely-- once your kids get old enough to have opinions about what they want to do (but aren't old enough to go off on their own), it's a tough place to stay. The outdoor pool is very quiet with people sleeping or reading. The lake is lovely but same deal, plus the beach "sand" is mostly tiny sharp rocks that make it hard on young feet trying to play there. The indoor pool and hot tub was a hit, but then we didn't want to be inside when it was so gorgeous outside.

We stayed in Suite 303 which was very nice. The room was clean, comfortable and I liked the layout because our young kids could be in their own little room but if I kept the door open, I could see them when I was in bed. It was however a bit cramped with a lot of unusual angles in the room and lots of grand furniture filling the spaces. As a result you could only really watch TV from bed if you were all the way on the left side of the bed. On the right side, your view was blocked by one of the posts of the 4 post bed. The bathtub is large with jacuzzi jets (5 year old declared it "the best bath ever") but it was a walk-in, which again, would be fine for couples but there was zero privacy with the glass doors and open design (and one set of doors without locks). Not so fun when your child comes sauntering in.

My biggest gripe however was the balcony in this room. When I made the reservation I was told there was a balcony "with a lake view but some obstruction." When I asked what that meant, I was told there could be some foliage in the way. Well, the balcony in this room basically faces a tall white wall. You only see the lake if you are (a) standing, (b) facing to the right, and (c) look past the huge tree that's right there. I felt this was a really big issue with disclosure as I took the balcony with the view into account when picking this particular room over others, and in justifying the over $600 a night cost. With young children who nap in middle of the day, the balcony is essential for the adult that stays in the room with them-- a way to be there but also still enjoy the few hours in the room and not have to sit in the dark. So that was really disappointing because we basically never used the balcony. Also disappointing was the VHS (?!) player in the kids room. I think DVD players are about $100 these days... it would be an easy upgrade.

The spa was nice and the restaurants are good. We ate at the bistro and had a good experience, and a few times at the Cottage which doesn't have the best food but you can't beat the convenience factor (they also deliver food to you if you're sitting by the lake) and the views. We ate breakfast daily at the View and the staff there was so great. One thing I appreciated about this place is that they don't take advantage of you while you're there in terms of pricing. Everything, from the bar drinks to its restaurant meals, is reasonably priced. Even the spa prices aren't that outrageous. The gym is also quite nice, very clean with enough machines and space to make it a comfortable experience.

Overall, this place is very nice. The biggest perk is the immediate lake access, which is just wonderful both from a view perspective but also you can just go there whenever you want and enjoy the kayaks, canoes, etc. It doesn't have the gleaming modern and updated feel of a place like the Whiteface Lodge, but then that's also part of its charm. On the downside, it is a lot of money for what you're getting in some respects especially if you don't have some kind of package deal where you get breakfast or a nightly credit. If you stay here, just make sure you call and ask very specific questions about the room and the view if you've got a balcony before booking.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank melt2009
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I had made a deal with my girlfriend - if she would camp and fish with me for two days in the mountains, then I would spring for the Mirror lake Inn for two days. I won both ways! The fishing was good, and the Mirror Lake Inn was wonderful.

We had a suite overlooking the lake - cool nights and a fireplace, comfortable bed, big tub. We did a couples massage, which was great, and my girlfriend enjoyed several other treatments.

We had dinner on premises twice - good food, very good service, and we had cocktails at their cottage restaurant - great spot. The village of lake Placid is always nice, and the walk is short. There are kayak rentals right there, so you can enjoy a leisurely paddle around the lake.

After fishing I didn't feel that I could take off and golf, but other guests mentioned that the courses were nice. We were in lake Placid just before Irene went through the area, so the outdoor venues may still be mending.

We would recommend the Mirror lake Inn (and Lake Placid) to anyone, and we look forward to going back in the winter.

Room Tip: Spend the money, egta a suite!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tony h
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Fantastic location and views, loved the lake area and amenities such as kayaks; clean; friendly staff. The decor is somewhat dated for the price, but we felt the view was worth it. If I had to give cons they would be as follows, but I would absolutely return to the hotel again. 1) We wanted to book four adults in a room and I was initially told that that was not permitted, however when I booked online and made a follow-up call, it was not an issue. (?) Wish they didn't have rules against that. 2) The Spa was fantastic and very modern. We booked massages far in advance for $112, then upon leaving our massages we saw a special offer for $80 posted in the lobby. They refunded the difference upon request, but wish they had just extended the offer to us; shame to pay extra for booking ahead per their site's request. 3) Though an in-room sign says the rooms are cleaned between 8 and 3, we received a message on our room phone one day about noon or 1 when we had the 'do not disturb' sign on telling us that if we wanted the room cleaned, we'd need to call downstairs since we had the sign up. This was a little baffling, plus the woman who left the message had a bit of an attitude about it. But the hotel is fantastic and comfortable and had a lodge feel without being kitschy. Really loved it and would return.

Room Tip: Mountain View building, 3rd floor (Cloudsplitter) was very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank evodkativ
MLI, General Manager at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Thank you for being our guest and for your valuable feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your comfortable getaway, the views, lake, staff, cleanliness and amenities and are pleased that you will visit us again.

Although we do not allow four adults in a room; due to a glitch in the online booking page you were able to select four adults as an option for your reservation and we felt we should honor it for you.

The special you saw offering reduced rates for Spa Services is only offered at times when we have availability and not during a high demand time period. The time you had reserved was a high demand time period. I am glad that we extended the special price to you. We recommend booking in advance to ensure availability of getting an appointment.

Occasionally guests leave their Do Not Disturb sign on their door accidentally, but we are very strict about calling or knocking on a door with a sign up so as to not disturb our guests. We leave a message without ringing the phone for them to let us know when they would like housekeeping service. If we do not hear back we do not disturb them and service is not provided that day.

I apologize for the confusion these issues may have caused and hope that this helps to clarify them. We look forward to your return!