“Best by accident stay we have had”
Review of Placid Bay Inn

Placid Bay Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We arrived in Lake Placid due to a last minute decision to go for a weekend ride. The town was booked and we were referred to this Inn from another hotel that had no rooms available. We couldn't be happier we were. The welcome was warm and friendly. The room was spotless and very comfortable. The exterior as neat and tidy as the rooms. We felt like we were being welcomed into a friends place for a visit instead of checking into a hotel. We sat on the dock and looked out over the water, we went canoeing, something I haven't done in years! We were told where to get everything we could possibly need within walking distance. We have already told many friends and family about this Inn and will definitely be going back to stay again! Thanks for making a short trip one to remember. This place is nicer than most of the very expensive places I have stayed in.

August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
sunintree, Owner at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

What a delight both of you are. We truly appreciate all your kind words, and you taking the time to write this review, and also filling out the comment card in your room. Your positive energy gives us even more energy, after a long summer, to smile and enjoy being given the honor of your business. Thank you again for staying with us, and sharing your experience with both your friends and folks visiting Trip Advisor. It would be our sincere pleasure to see you again. Thank you.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed at Placid Bay Inn for 4 nights, July 29th-Aug 2nd. Our room on the second floor was very nice - spacious and clean. The beds were very comfortable. The kitchenette area and the little dining table, perfect. The bathroom was clean and felt almost new. The walk in closet provided plenty of space for our suitcases.
The view outside our window was fantastic. As picturesque as I could have possibly imagined it. A little piece of heaven, indeed. I have great memories of my daughter opening up the curtains in the morning and marveling at the beauty, asking to get her shoes on to go see the baby ducks by the canoes.
The location is perfect. Just far enough from the noise of Main Street, yet a super short drive to the center. We also walked to get dinner a few times. A great Italian restaurant very close, and a pretty interesting Mexican/Irish restaurant a little
further, but also walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank mira06mir

It is so wonderful to hear that you enjoyed not only your room, but the beauty of Lake Placid. We have lived here for over 34 years, and each and everyday is special. I'm sure your daughter will have these memories to hold onto for the rest of her life, as well as, having shared them with her Mom and Dad. Folks tell us how beautiful the views are in the backyard, and I say- "We don't make the views, we just try to enhance them." We are truly blessed to live in such a beautiful place, and are so happy that our guests enjoy it as much as we do! Thank you, again, for taking the time to share your impressions of our Inn. We truly hope to see your family, again. Thank you.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed during the Ironman in Lake Placid. Town was very crowded but with just a short walk from town, we were back in our quiet room. We were upgraded to a HUGE room #4 that had a nice view of the lake. Not fancy room, but suited our needs. We used the canoes several times and found Placid Bay Inn very comfortable and relaxing. Room was exceptionally clean too!

Room Tip: request Lake View. Makes a Big difference.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
sunintree, Manager at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We appreciate and rely on our customers feed back, thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We are happy you had a pleasant stay with us and our property suited your needs. We often hear how nice it is to come back to our property after being downtown on Main Street, especially during very busy times like Ironman. We take great pride to create a little oasis away from the hustle an bustle and are so glad you were able to relax and enjoy our amenities. We look forward to having you as our guests again, thanks again for your review:)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We just returned from Lake Placid and found the Placid Bay Inn a perfect place to stay. We were in room 10 with a wonderful view of the lake and Whiteface. The weather was not the best so it was interesting to watch the clouds roll over the top of the mountain. Our room was very comfortable, the inn close to town and closer to some great food. We bought lunch across the street at The Redneck Bistro and brought it back to eat beside the lake. We had family competing in Ironman,so my husband was able to easily walk back and forth throughout the day to cheer him on. We were able to have WIFI most of the time, it did go out occasionally. Denise was very helpful and she keeps the grounds beautiful with all the flowers,benches and chairs to relax on. Thank you for a lovely time

1  Thank peggy110

So happy to read your positive review of how much you enjoyed our Inn. We work very hard as a family business to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay with us. Despite the weather which was not the best for Ironman this year, I'm glad you made the best of it and enjoyed the many dining options close by and the convenience of our location to Main Street and the peacefulness of our lakeside property. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review; we look forward to having you back!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have stayed here now several times and at Different times of year. Always a pleasure. Clean. comfortable, close to good dining. We traveled there by Motorcycle. Good cycle parking. Gound Floor rooms if you ask. Back of the Inn is situated on the water, beautiful view, boats avalible for rowing or paddling. The pool was inviting. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and thank you for your continued patronage over the years. We are happy to read how much you enjoy our Inn, the grounds and the location. We look forward to your next visit to Lake Placid and staying with us again! :)

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Old motel, however the flowers and grounds were well manicured. Motel was right on the water. canoes and kayaks were available. The room was old and tired but clean and comfortable. Could not get Wi-Fi in the room. The manager said she learned it did not work in that room a few weeks earlier. When I explained that Wi-Fi was important to me and that we would need to find another hotel, she said we could get reception in the parking lot and that their ads never actually said that Wi-Fi was available in the room, just on the property. We felt deceived.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if wi fi works in your room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank oldeagle2014
sunintree, Owner at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion of our Inn. I'm a little confussed by the statement that we are an old motel. The building your room was in has had a complete renovation and update within the last three (3) years. We replaced all the outside siding with new wood siding and insulation, which is freshly painted, all new Pella windows, new air conditioners, furniture (solid wood mission style), lighting, new 32" flat screen TV's, freshly painted interior, completely gutted and new bathroom with Kohler deep bath tub, pedestal sinks, etc. We are not, however, a big chain hotel, but a small country style Inn/motel family owned and operated.
I feel there might have been a miscommunication about the wi-fi. What I said was that we have all new equipment, and a customer that stayed just a week, week and a half ago, told me that with their apple device the signal was weak. When you told me that you could not log on, I suggested trying logging on outside your room, or in our office, and see if that would get you online. When you went to dinner and to look for another place to stay, I called my wi-fi provider, and he gave me somethings to do to try to improve the signal till the new mesh node came. I did this an then tried the signal with my Android phone, HP lap top, my daughters Iphone, and Mac lap top computer. All of these worked well, and connected to various sites quickly.The computer saying you have 1,2, or 3 bars, is just telling you how close you are to the signal, not the download times. I called your cell phone and told your wife that we worked on the wi-fi, and please try it again. You told me you couldn't even get online, and you were going to stay somewhere else.
When you told me how important the wi-fi was to you, I also offered you a more expensive room that would have better signal (right next to the mesh node). You said that I had made promises in my advertising that weren't true, and had decieved you. I responded by telling you my advertising simply says that we have Free wi-fi. I have never attempted to decieve a customer in my 34 years of business. We try very hard to make sure every customer is well taken care of, and if a problem comes up, we address the issue and make it right.
The next morning, Fed Ex delivered an additional mesh nod that I installed within a couple of hours. We have asked customers staying with us if everything was OK with the wi-fi, and no one had anything negative to say, or problems. I'm sorry you were unhappy. Have a great summer.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" My husband and I decided to visit Lake Placid again after traveling there for the first time three years ago. We didn't have to think hard about where we would stay. The Placid Bay Inn of course! We stayed there the first time and were treated to a wonderful experience. Our room, the whole place actually, was very clean and inviting and the owner very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed using the canoes and swimming in the very clean, albeit a little cold pool. This time was no exception. We stayed there this past week from July 21 to the 25, and hated to leave. The owner as well as Tyra(?) was very helpful and informative. Tyra gave us a very informed opinion on the best places to hike, as well as a print out of favorite trails. Our room was kept very clean and cozy and the king sized bed was so comfortable. The location of the inn is perfect, right on the bay but also close enough to walk to the village. The flowers on the grounds were so gorgeous that I had to call my son to make sure that he was watering mine! If we go back again we will certainly try to get a room at the Placid Bay Inn. Like I said before, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" KathyKaysNJ

Room Tip: Lakeside is the best!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for staying with us again, and taking the time to write this review. The girl scouts used to have a cute little song- "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other's gold!" Well, folks like you are our gold. :-) Thank you again for all your kind words. We feel all of our efforts have paid off when we have such a nice review. Thank you. We look forward to your next stay.