“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay at the Crowne Plaza. The location is terrific, you can walk everywhere downtown and its a 10 minute drive to White Face Mountain. Free wifi in the rooms is great and the view of the mountains was spectacular. Check in was very quick and friendly, 2 staff greeted us and both worked hard at getting us checked in and on our way to our room. We went in the hot tub and pool both nights, very clean and not too overcrowded we really enjoyed this both evenings. We dined in the on site restaurant and enjoyed the special all you can eat pasta bar they offered for $16.95, very good value for dinner. The room is clean, spacious and comfortable. Microwave and fridge and HBO are a bonus. Lots of clean towels and our room was cleaned and perfect when we came back after skiing. We stayed on a Wednesday and Thursday night and by the time Thursday night rolled around the place started to fill up with kids from a hockey tournament, they played in the halls on the 4th level and unfortunately found a luggage rack to play on back and forth to give each other rides on it up and down the halls. Not nice. Although not the hotels fault parents don't control their kids it was a tad bit annoying. Maybe an occasional patrol by a staff member would deter this. Not sure I would venture to stay here on a weekend when a hockey tournament is going on something tells me it would be overrun with children, when I walked by the pool on Friday to check out the hot tub and pool must have had 15 kids in it. eek, we were glad we were checking out. All in all, good value, clean, comfortable, friendly staff made our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Mountain view :)
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Scott B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with your son’s hockey tournament. Thank you for your comments on our wonderful breakfast buffet, that includes a cooked to order omelet station. I was glad to see that you were able to enjoy our "Great Room" and cozy up to the fire and recount the day’s activities. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to Lake Placid.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

We stayed over MLK holiday, and we paid a fortune! It says that it is attached to the Olympic Center. In no way is it attached. It is on a HUGE hill above the small town. The housekeeping service was horrible! They did not even take out the trash! For $399/night plus tax, one would think that this would be standard. This is nothing but a bad Holiday Inn. I like Holiday Inn better, actually. We enjoyed the pool, but the lights were out in the deep end and no one would address it. Sorry we stayed here. I am a travel agent and own my own company. You can bet I will not recommend this or any other Crowne Plaza to my clients!

Room Tip: Should you choose to tay here, despite the review- do it when you have a DEEP DISCOUNT!- Like Free!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shelbye M
Thank you for your recent stay. I apologize for the issues that you had with the housekeeping department and I have gone over this review with our executive housekeeper to make sure that we continue to train our staff. If you would like to discuss your stay with me please call me at 518-523-2556 ext 498 or ask for Scott.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

Staff was very welcoming to myself and my great dane. They found us a room on the main floor to make it easy to walk the dog. Room service was good, fast and well priced. The dog was not welcome in public spaces that served food, so access to the hotel was limited to the room and the grounds.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza. We do appreciate that you spent time at our hotel and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Pultneyville, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in December while planning our wedding in LP. We had never been to this particular hotel in LP, the pictures and price all looked nice so we booked it. The hotel was nice, nothing out of the ordinary. I was hoping from the look of the lobby that it would have some local Adirondack flair but it didnt. It as clean and everything was updated. The staff was friendly and helpful. We got the breakfast buffet, not wanting to venture out so early in the morning (even though the hotel is steps from main street) and was disappointed. It cost around $15 pp and was just normal breakfast food, nothing worth the price. The views of the surrounding mountains was very nice though! Aside from the overpriced breakfast it was worth the $95 per night.

Room Tip: The views from every room in the hotel are breathtaking
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Scott B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and review of our hotel. Congratulations on your engagement. I have forwarded your comments about the breakfast buffet on to our Food and Beverage Director as we want to make sure that all of our customers who partake in the $11.95 buffet should be told about the scrumptious made to order omelets at our omelet station. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

My family of four stayed here (along with the rest of my son's team) on 1/19 and 1/20/13 while my teenage son was playing in a hockey tournament. The hotel was very nice, and convenient. The room (two double beds) was fairly spacious and included both a mini-fridge and a microwave. Only complaint about the room was the draft coming in the sliding door. But we just cranked the heat up a degree or two to counter balance. (It was very windy over the weekend.) The wing where we were staying was the perfect place to stash a teenage hockey team. And the only comment about that is that the second floor was not accessible via elevator. Again, not a huge deal, but those of us who were at the end of the hall away from the stairs made a lot of trips up and down to get everything in and out of the rooms. The food in the restaurant was excellent. We ate two breakfasts and a dinner there, and we had lunch in the Great Room/bar area one day, as well. Good food and reasonable prices. For the two meals included with the hockey tournament stay (Sunday dinner and Monday breakfast), there was a large room for everyone to eat in after getting their food off the buffet. Great idea, but not enough seats/drinks/silverware at some points. Drinks and silverware were easily remedied by asking. We found all staff we came in contact with extremely helpful and nice. I haven't spent a lot of time in ski lodges, but the decor in the lobby and Great Room seem to me to be perfect for a ski lodge. The fire places were cozy, and the seating in the Great Room was perfect to sit around chatting with the other parents after a day of hockey. The village of Lake Placid, as well as the rinks and the lake (for pond hockey and dog sledding) are extremely convenient to the Crowne Plaza. But be prepared for the trek back up the hill! We did get to the point that a couple of us with larger vehicles shuttled the hockey bags up and down the hill because the kids were beat after playing and then to carry their huge bags up the hill in 30 mph wind gusts was a bit much. On the flip side, we got A LOT of exercise over the weekend! And one comment about the pool... unless I missed them, there didn't appear to be any restrooms accessible from the pool area. That would be very nice. I was also surprised that there isn't a spa. I've never actually looked for or used a spa at a hotel. Ever. However, I had some free time one afternoon and I was sore from playing pond hockey and walking up and down that hill, so I thought I'd try to get a foot massage. No dice. I did find a spa down the hill, but as you would expect, they had nothing available on such short notice. Overall, excellent experience. I would definitely stay here again just with my family or with my kids' hockey teams.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I was glad to see that we were able to provide you with a great experience over your recent hockey weekend. Thank you for your detailed comments about your stay and we are glad that you enjoyed or wonderful Great Room area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

After a 5 hour ride from Boston we arrived at the hotel I checked in then my whole family and a friend of my sons we're hungry so we decided to go to the restaurant to eat.The woman at the reception desk for the restaurant look miserable end she was.We walked into the restaurant and the children sat down on some chairs. My youngest son who is 5 years old was bouncing up and down on the chair slightly but not anything out of the ordinary for a 5 year old who has ADD and she basically screamed at all of us and said this is a 21 + restaurant only it is not for children so if the children cannot behave they need to leave!! I replied well then is there a restaurant in your facility that will allow children ? Then she goes on to say I'll allow it if they can behave ..Throughout to stay this woman had the same miserable look on her face all week keep in mind this is a hockey tournament which this hotel caters to hockey players. After we got into our room I noticed there were ants all over the floor in the bathroom. I had asked the front desk to take care of the problem which they never did we had the ant with us the entire stay finally on the last day I went and bought some raid myself too take care of the ants because whatever they tried did not work.Before the tournament we were asked if you would like to upgrade to a suite on their website you should see the pictures of the suites there so beautiful but the sweet we were put in was basically a rundown old room with a small extra room off of the main room that was freezing cold because the heating system did not work inside of it. Basically if you get invited to a hockey tournament in Lake Placid and you are going to stay at the Crowne Plaza beware because it is not fun at all...

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank hockeydad73
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza. I apologize for the issues that you incurred during your stay. I have shared your comments with our Food and Beverage Director and we will make sure that we continue our training to make sure that all guests receive a wonderful experience from all of our hotel staff. If you would like to discuss your stay further please call me at 518-523-2556 ext 498 or ask for Scott.
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

I really liked this Crowne for a lot of reasons, most of which I couldn't take advantage of because I was there on business for a very short night. What I appreciated most was the consideration of the staff in giving me a room far away from the participants in a junior hockey tournament taking place at the Olympic Arena adjacent to the hotel. Thank you very much for the peace and quiet. Hope to visit some other time for a longer period when I can take advantage of everything that Lake Placid has to offer.

Room Tip: The Adirondack Wing takes a little longer to get to on foot, but it was worth the distance for me.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Scott B, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at our hotel. I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to being your hotel of choice for when you visit Lake Placid again.