“Great Location/great staff”

Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Great Lake State
“Great Location/great staff”
Reviewed 9 March 2009

We were looking for a hotel close to town and skiing, my search brought me to the Crowne Plaza Resort. Looking online for rates it looked like the hotel was full. I called the hotel directly and spoke to Mary Kay in reservations. The hotel was indeed full of hockey kids for the weekend I was thinking about, and I was offered a quieter room in a new wing. We really wanted to get away, and not have all the noise. Mary Kay was great, she sensed this hesitation and told me about a great midweek ski getaway. We were flexible with our dates and the price was half of what the weekend rate was. We booked and even took the deluxe room with the fireplace and jacuzzi.

At the hotel to check in was Cindy to greet us. She was very pleasant and helped with our dinner reservations at the restaurant across the street. I can't remember the name, but is was close by and late so we did not want to drive anywhere.

Breakfast was ok, slight wait but that was ok, very cold outside so we did not mind the delay.

Skiing was only about 10 miles away and a free shuttle stopped at the hotel and brought us back and forth.

Dave at the desk checked us out and again very pleasant. This is such a great place and to see so many people there happy was great. We will be back in the summer with more of the family for golf. Thanks CP for the wonderful stress free getaway.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 February 2009

This is a true alpine lodge feel and not a chain feel at all. It is in the center of town but up a hill which gives incredible vistas. There is a HUGE lodge type room with a fireplace and a bar and you can sit and look and relax all day. Or go skiing or dog sledding or any other winter adventure you want. In summer there is also a lot to do and see. This is a a true resort and you can do it "all" here and not leave. The restaurants are fine, the feel is rustic and relaxing yet very personal. The rooms are rustic too so you reallly get the feel. Its not elegant but its a real jewel. If you want elegant this is not for you, its FUN and SPECIAL.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ELSUSHI921
Toms River, NJ
Reviewed 17 February 2009

I wanted to take my wife away for a quick weekend retreat from our Jersey Shore home. My idea was to go skiing on super bowl sunday, because I heard the slopes were fairly empty. I avoided our usual vermont haunts because few vermont towns have much of a night life. My plan was to ski all day, then stay at a hotel in a town where we could stroll around looking for the best party.

I left the entire trip to tripadvisor and came away very happy. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza which was right in the middle of town. The accomodations were very nice. Whirlpool in the room. Marvelous view of the high peaks and downtown and very nice accomodations.

Only two bummers: An adolescent hockey tournament was in town, so there were far too many "rodents" running around. Security did their best, but teenagers are tough to control. The other downer was a dimwitted desk clerk. When I asked her where to eat, she told me to go to the bottom of the hill and there are plenty of great places to eat. I would have liked a little more direction than that. We went right and should have turned left.

Anyway, the town is situated around Mirror Lake, which is a beautiful setting 12 months a year. The ski jump is right outside of town, the miracle on ice hockey rink is right there and free to walk through and Whiteface Mountain is only 15 minutes away (hotel and town offer free shuttle).

Great town, nice people and only about 5 hours outside of NYC. There's plenty to do. We;re going back in the spring. Thank you trip advisor and fellow trip advisor friends.

Guelph
Reviewed 24 January 2009

This was a pleasant visit after a 10 day trip to Cape Cod. A beautiful suite complete with fireplace and whirlpool. Beautiful view of the mountains. An 18 hole round of golf was included in the package plus a buffet breakfast the next day. No time to tour the village - excellent value and wonderful location and facilities

• Liked — Comfort of rooms and golf
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
NY
Reviewed 20 January 2009

Stayed here over MLK weekend and found the hotel to be in a perfect location in Lake Placid. Do not be put off by the people who say the hotel is up a hill. It is but a 2 minute walk to the main street. The new lobby area is very nice to relax, have a quick meal or shoot some pool. I stayed in a renovated room in the main building. It had a LCD TV and full beds. Be aware, if you are travelling with kids these beds just cut it with no room to spare. The restaurant, pool area and general condition of the hotel were all above average.

Do not stay here unless you have kids (we do). My kids had a blast along with all the other kids we saw roaming the hallways. Also, be aware this hotel is dog friendly, lots of big dogs.

All in all the Crowne Plaza is an excellent choice for Lake Placid.

• Liked — Locaation and LCD TV
  • Disliked — Small beds
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Albany, New York
Reviewed 4 January 2009

This is probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at. True, I can't make the claim that I'm a hotel connoisseur (did I spell that right?), but I think most would agree that this hotel is very comfortable, and set with a beautiful backrop of the Adirondack mountain range. The room had a king-sized bed, with eight pillows; a big mirror hanging over the dresser/credenza/entertainment center; a flat-screen tv; a loveseat; a small table with cushioned seating for two; its own thermostat; an electric fireplace, and a view of the Adirondacks from the window. The bathroom featured marble countertops and a room-for-two jet tub with overhead shower. What can I say? The room was nicer than my own apartment accommodations, so it was hard to leave. The service was great--a newspaper at your doorstep each morning, and refreshed toiletries for your bath and coffee for your coffee machine. There was even a microwave and mini-fridge in the room. It was almost a shame that I didn't have anyone to share the room--nay, the room experience--with! Not quite, but almost. They have a restaurant on the ground level, which was okay, in terms of the food. The Great Room truly was great--gorgeous views, and very grand-looking.

The room I stayed in was an upgrade from what was reserved for the business trip I was on, due to the hotel's overbooking (lucky me), so it's way more ritzy than I'd be able to spend ($200+ per night) if I were traveling for pleasure, but given the choice, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. Not only is the hotel itself very nice, but it's set right above the little Lake Placid town (featuring Mirror Lake), where there is the opportunity to shop (some of the shops are one-of-a-kind, quirky places), have a cup of coffee, eat at a casual or fine restaurant, or just take a scenic walk around Mirror Lake.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
newyouk
Reviewed 3 January 2009

I realize this review is a little late but I'm on the site checking out something else & thought better late then never. Anyway if booking a balcony be sure to ask if it's the real balcony or the fake balcony & they know what I mean because most are about 18 inches deep ( I'm not kidding ) & are more for show than use & they charge. Also when we visited it was still warm & the women on the phone whom I believe was the manager/supv. or whatever, said they had an outdoor pool & an indoor pool & they dont have an outdoor pool at all. Then she proceeded to book our fake balcony room. I think this was the same women at check-in but I'm not sure. & be advised the location is not exactly in the center of town, it's kinda on one end of the main strip & for those people who like to park & walk there is a hill involved. For us, the hill was no problem but I could definitely see this being a problem for older folks or for people with some degree of difficulty walking. So just please be forwarned. Now the hotel itself was decent, the rooms,were so so but decent & the lobby/bar area was nicely done & you had a pretty good view & they had a nice indoor pool. Thats 1 pool NOT 2 pools as the women said quite clearly. The hotel is alright but the turn off for me was that they just werent honest & just told you whatever you wanted to hear just to get you in there. & it's really not something you want to deal with when your there to have a good time. Hope this helps somebody.

• Stayed September 2008