“Nice view!”

Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Medina, New York
“Nice view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

Enjoyed the hotel, had a nice view and not too far from the shops!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

This was our 2nd visit to the Crown Plaza; were quite impressed last fall however this visit fell short. We prebooked (paid in advance) a "king jacuzzi room, with walk-out balcony and chairs for 3 nights but because I became quite sick, we cut our trip short and left after the 2nd night. On check-out I was reminded that "it's non-refundable", which I understood, however a more sympathetic comment could have been made than the blunt reminder of "unrefundability". The cold front-desk attitude only served to jog my memory that last year's "front desk" demeanour was also steely cold and not at all welcoming. This room left some to be desired: the jacuzzi was very, very old; there was a huge puddle of water left from the a/c unit in the middle of the "walk out" balcony (which, by the way was perhaps 18" in width; more a Juliette balcony than a "walk out"), etc, etc. We'll come back to Lake Placid again next year, but we'll not stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ottawa60schick
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

I can't say enough to thank the manager, Ray, and the entire staff at this hotel for all they did for me. I fell and badly twisted my ankle on my first morning of my vacation. This happened around 7:15am on the 4th of July. I was bed-ridden for 8 straight days, the entire time I was in Lake Placid. My daughter was in a sleep-away camp so I was all alone. I depended on the staff at the hotel for everything, and every person I came in contact with were nothing but absolutely marvelous. Every call for ice refills for my ice pack, some coming at 3am, was no problem. They brought me room service with set-ups so that I could eat while sitting in bed with my leg up. Everyone with a smile on their face, asking how I was doing and if there was anything they could do to help. I could go on, and on. I'm sure not everyone has the best experiences at hotels, but when it came time to depend on the kindness of strangers, kudos' to everyone at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid for being my hero's. I will always remember what you did for me.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
LakePlacidBizOwner, Owner at Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, responded to this review, 3 August 2010
Thank you for your wonderful comments; I have passed them along to our dedicated team. We are certainly proud of our superior customer service. I hope you are feeling better and are able to enjoy the rest of the summer! Cristina
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2010

As most of the reviewers have noted, the location and views of this hotel are second to none. It has the best spot in town. The great room has terrific views, although the decoration was slightly cheesy in our opinion. We stayed in the adirondack wing. The facade of the great room and the adirondack wing are also quite nice. Our King Suite was a spacious, luxurious room equipped with full kitchens (pots, pans, glasses etc included), a jaccuzi in the master bedroom, and balconies that lead to more spectacular views. The boat house restaurant is also quite scenic. The price was the best in town.

That being said, this hotel is not a 5 star resort due to the quality of the beach club and the quality of the service. A request for how to get the shuttle to the beach was met with an angry, " Come to the front desk and request one only when you are completely ready to go to the beach." A half hour after our request was made, our shuttle still had not arrived. The staff had no idea where the shuttle was and refused to check up on its status. We ended up taking the local free trolley down the hill and crossing through restaurant parking lots and shrubbery to get to the beach club. After all that, the beach club ended up being disappointing. The bathrooms are filthy and there are no towels, chairs or snacks available. There are also no kayak or canoe rentals either. A request for chairs was met with a gruff , "We can let you borrow two chairs for a little bit." However, there were four people in our party. Lastly, after a fantastic night of dinner and drinks in the village of Lake Placid, my friends and I returned our Luxury King Suite, we found that the pull-out bed had not been made as requested. There were no sheets, blankets or pillows for half of our party to sleep on. Bedding was brought up nearly a half hour later. The staff member who brought it up, sighed, rolled his eyes, threw out bedding in our general direction and mumbled "have a good night."

Bottom line, go for the value and the views but do not expect to be pampered!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were a little dated but clean. I like the fact that there was a fridge and microwave in the room. It was also nice to be provided with linen spray as one of toiletries. The hotel is at the top of the hill in front of the lake so it provides you with a great view. The breakfast buffet was a good value. Parking is free and there is also a free shuttle that runs by the hotel. There is also free internet which is great.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

Located on a hill above the town, the hotel has great views of the lake and is within a comfortable walking distance to shops and restaurants. The interior is a bit dated, but the rooms are spacious and the wireless connection was good. Great location - slightly above average hotel quality.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

I travel a lot for business and have had the opportunity to stay at a lot of different hotel chains in many locations. Like most hotels room rates vary dramatically based on when you book, time of year and type of room. Our room (in the west wing) was very reasonably priced for a July 4th weekend in Lake Placid and considering this is a resort facility. The hotel/resort is actually very roomy, if you have kids I think this is an excellent family location.

Resort and family style hotels, in comparison to business hotels, get a lot of heavy use by kids etc. So I expect to see a little wear and tear in these type of hotels, not that I could see much so it was pleasing to see some ongoing remodeling/refreshing work being carried out.

Pros:
Views over the town, Lake Mirror and mountains from the Great Room Lobby
Facilities - pool, bar/lounge, library
Plenty of free parking
Free wifi

Cons: Steep (short) hill to walk down to or up from town (hill provides the views)

In summary I would highly recommend the Lake Placid Crowne Plaza Resort and look forward to returning in the near future....maybe this fall.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple