“Swahili Divers”
Review of Gecko Nature Lodge

Gecko Nature Lodge
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We only stayed for one night but would have extended the stay if we'd have the time! The 2 dives I did were spectacular! My husband went snorkelling and was amazed as well. The atmosphere in the divecenter is relaxed and friendly, thank you Bradley & Issa!
We slept in the Dorm and were very pleased, especially with this price! Food was also good and guests and staff were eating together which was nice!
Franziska, thank you for your help! The communication was easy & supernice and welcoming, Ahsante sana! We highly recommend the Swahili Divers ( divecenter as well as the accommodation!) and will come back, for sure!
Ella & Lino

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BiProCo

Reviewed 4 July 2014

My wife and I stayed 3 nights in June this year. We were in a spacious chalet with a king sized bed. It was quiet, clean and very comfortable. The atmosphere is casual but professional. Hosts Francisca and Raf were welcoming and very helpful. Meals were delicious. I did 3 days of diving which was amazing. A great experience!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill W
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Kervan provides simple accommodations, a delightful atmosphere and exceptional diving. Kervan is situated at the very tip of Pemba Island, about 2 hour drive from the airport. While it's a long drive, it's worth the effort. Their location is truly spectacular. As others have said, sitting on the deck looking out over the ocean is a wonderful way to spend the afternoon (or sunset).

All of the accommodations have thatch roofs and open windows, making it feel airy and cool. In the evening, ceiling fans will give you an extra blast of air to ensure you stay comfortable. The bathroom and shower are outdoors, but connected to the room. If you're lucky, you'll have a close encounter with nature in the morning: sometimes bush babies (small monkeys) or land crabs. The beds are comfortable and netting keeps away the bugs.

The real attraction at Kervan is the diving. They are well located near some amazing dive sites. The "Aquarium" site was my favorite of my trip. You can see some of my dive pictures; all from the Aquarium site. Beltran, our dive master, was super nice and knew the locations very well. During surface intervals, they take you to a nearby deserted beach for a snack and a rest. The setting is so picturesque, it feels like a movie.

Special thanks to Francisca, the owner and manager. She ensured we were happy and enjoying our trip to Pemba.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A truly lovely place with lovely people running it.

From my very first enquiry email to Francisca I knew I would love this place! Her super enthusiastic and friendly response and her quick replies made us feel very welcome.

Even the drive to the lodge is fantastic, passing local villages and through the last remaining jungle- beautiful old trees, would have loved to hike through it if i had time! It is very remote! So once you arrive, you would stay till you depart.

We went mainly for the diving, which is AMAZING! I would have happily stayed 6 to 10 days, to dive, chillout, watch amazing sunsets with a drink in hand! It's the perfect place to forget everything! Lots of deep walls, gorgeous dive sites and very friendly dive centre staff! Though remember to chill out, nothing starts on time... Hakuna Matata.

The rooms are rustic and huge, good value for money. The food is also great, especially considering how remote the lodge is. We had outdoor dinners with the rest of the guests under the stars, every one gets to know eachother, then usually a fire burning for after-dinner drinks.

The best part is the staff, so friendly and accommodating, always ready to chat or help. I had a surprise planned for my boyfriend and the staff were all in on it (even the guests were sworn to secrecy and they gave me a alias name!) So much fun, and was so pleased with the staff being so accommodating and helpful! It went off without a hitch!

So I would definitely recommend this, and would love to visit again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I returned to Kervan Saray for 5 nites in Mid March this year. This time I brought my girlfriend and we had a wonderful time. I can't say enough good things about the friendly staff and warm reception we received. The food is very tasty and includes a lot of seafood, which we liked. The rooms are huge and comfy. The diving of course is the main reason to be here, since the reefs are fabulously teaming with fish and pristine coral. I have been diving for more than 30 years and have more than a 1000 logged dives, and this place still is one of my very, very favorites. Thats why I keep coming back. My girlfriend, who does not dive enjoyed the hiking, village visits, rainforest walks, snorkeling and kayaking. We are already planning next years return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

A wonderful two weeks at Kervan Saray. Charming, friendly and attentive staff and a beautiful setting made for a very relaxing and extremely enjoyable stay. My room was perfect and the food was fantastic. The diving in particular is world class, they have a knowledgeable and highly experienced team and the best part is that I didn't see another dive boat once the whole time I was there!! I plan to come back when I can and wouldn't hesitate recommending it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeremy A
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Kervan Saray Beach Lodge is just perfect! Gorgeous rooms, mouthwatering meals, stunning nature, friendly staff and fantastic diving with Swahili divers. What else can one ask for?
I can only agree with what has been said already: thanks to the friendly staff and the relaxed ambience you feel at home straight away. And there's plenty to do and see even if you're not diving. The only real problem you might have is not having planned enough time there...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends