“Magical Place!”
Review of The Nile Porch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jinja
The Nile Porch
Ranked #6 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Jinja
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Wow what an amazing place! The views of the Nile, the beautiful trees with monkeys jumping throughout and a really neat banda to stay in complete with hammock. Mornings included breakfast on the porch outside overlooking the Nile. Evenings we ate down by the fire outside or up in the beautiful dining area. The food was outstanding, too!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 April 2013

This was our second time at Nile Porch and we loved it almost as much as the first time. The views, the Vervet monkeys outside the door in the morning were all very charming. What was not charming however was the group of 8 family members who were in the pool splashing and screaming at 0650 in the morning right outside our tent!!1 (We were in #1 Banda). We arrived late at nite in the dark and in the rain and had the same issue as last year with lack of signage. This would be such an easy fix but is still a major issue, especially in the dark and rain. The lady at the desk was great with cell phone directions (only one of 6 of us had a cell phone thankfully) and they were fabulous in keeping the dinning room open way past closing to accommodate our late arrival. Thank you, thank you, thank you. The food was amazing, the accommodation amazing and the staff very helpful. We will be back again, but hopefully with a GPS!

Room Tip: Do not pick tent #1!!!! It is next to the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This is my second review of the Nile Porch, and I love it more every time I visit. I had read some of the recent reviews and knew that the management had changed ( I LOVE the previous management!) but I went ahead with my plans to reserve all eight bandas, and one of the family houses.
There had been some changes but all for the better, they have installed a big fence so the place feels even safer that before. Everyone on my team loved their time at the Nile Porch! Davis was the manager at the time, and he was wonderful to deal with. We arrived and they were willing to do a ton of wash for us because we had been traveling. Anything I wanted or needed for my group was available to me. I have reserved the entire place again for two days in July and again in October. I will not be taking a trip to Uganda with out a stay at the Nile Porch. They truly want everyone staying there to have a wonderful time, and will go out of their way to make sure they do!
Breakfast at the Black Lantern, over looking the Nile River can not be beat anywhere in Uganda!
Many thanks to Bingo, Davis and the entire staff for making us feel , safe, secure and at home every minute of our stay!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, every banda with an incredible view and loads of privacy!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I am surprised by the reviews written by the other people. My friend and I stayed in a Family Unit right by the swimming pool, it had a locking door and we had absolutely no problems at all with robbery, nor did we ever feel unsafe. There is a main fence around the area with a guard with the mandatory AK47, so maybe things have changed since the last review. We enjoyed the proximity to the Black Lantern restaurant, the swimming pool, and the monkey viewing from the deck of the restaurant. We each had a separate bedroom with good mosquito netting and were very comfortable. The bathroom worked great, the toilet flushed, and the water in the shower was warm. I would definitely stay there again, and I'm sorry the other people had such a bad time.

Room Tip: Ask for a Family Center, they were the same price as the half tented rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank caramello51
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed at Nile Porch early in September. It is a wonderful setting the banda porches all have a great view over the nile, I loved the semi open bathroom and it was a was lovely to watch the monkeys playing so close by. However I am sad to say that we were also robbed. I will not go into all the detail but it is very similar to the previous reviewer.
What I would like to add however, is that our experience of the manager and her husband was completely different. On the evening of the robbery they were very helpful, apologetic and active and they moved us to a new accomodation with a locking door where we felt much safer. The next day the manager and staff helped us with the police reports and the staff searched in the bush for our belongings where a lot of the less valuable but important items including passports, were recovered.
There is obviously a security problem here, I know the management take it seriously as the very next day after the burglary they immediately erected a large gate between them and the neighbouring business as there was some concern the intruders came in that way. I was sad to hear it happened again and I do hope to hear soon that things have changed, as other than the burglary we liked the place. The food at the black lantern was good...actually I would say the Tilapia and the Nachos are even excellent. The "luxury" part of the complex is a bit isolated at night, after the restaurant closes there is no-one around and I would suggest having a guard in this area could make a difference.
Tip for travelers...There is a lot of tented and semi-tented accomodation like this in Africa where there is no way to lock the room. We had some trouble with our insurance claim because we were not in a locking room.In the end it was settled but if you are planning to stay in this kind of luxury camping check your insurance and always use the safe : )

Room Tip: Check that security improvements have been made before choosing the tented banda Dorms are pretty c...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank JanHan81
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I am desperately sad to write this review, but feel that I have no choice. As residents in Uganda we have enjoyed visits to Nile Porch over the past couple of years. However, when we visited with family in September we found only disappointment and fear. The tents are getting very run down, with stains and a general lack of cleanliness very offputting. However, it was at night that the whole experience exploded for us.
I awoke around 1am to footsteps along the side of our tent, followed shortly by the sound of the velcro of the main tent flap opening (there is no way to fasten or lock the tent, when you are out or in). I immediately got up and was terrified to find a man inside the tent rifling through our stuff. One accomplice was waiting outside the tent crouched down to receive our stolen goods, and another man stood up further back. I chased them away screaming, and once we had calmed down we went to look for a security guard. It took us a long time to find one, who eventually came with us back to our tent, but did not go immediately searching for the would-be thieves. We decided to awaken our family members in the neighbouring two tents, who discovered that they had had numerous items stolen, including two rucksacks full of belongings, which had been resting on the bed next to where they were sleeping. Very upset we insisted on waking the manager. We walked down to his house and upon explaining the situation to him he was not sympathetic or concerned, instead berating the guard because "this has already happened this week!". When I protested he turned to me and said "I didn't ask you to come to Uganda love". I was horrified. He then shut his door on us and we returned to our tent where we did not sleep at all, fearful that the thieves would return, and disturbed by noises a few hours later.
The next morning we went to the reception area early to meet with local tourist police to give our statements. We were further horrified to discover other guests there who had had items stolen from their tents a number of hours after we had raised the alarm. At this point security guards were nowhere to be found. That night six out of eight tents were robbed. During the entire process of giving our statements and talking to the police, the manager made no appearance, instead driving past us on his quadbike twice, stopping only to greet his dogs, resolutely ignoring all of us and the police present on his property. We were absolutely disgusted by his behaviour.
On a trip to Jinja made a month after this experience, of course staying in a different place, we stopped by Nile Porch only to encounter police present in the reception taking statements from people who had had their tents broken into.
This was an absolutely terrible experience, especially for our family on their first visit to Africa.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank KRV_12
Reviewed 12 October 2012

My husband and I took a couple of friends to stay at Nile Porch on our way through to Kampala/Entebbe. I had previously stayed there with four female friends a couple of years ago and I was so impressed. This time - what a HUGE disappointment. Our rooms were lovely, with solar heated showers and a magnificent view of the Nile. However, we asked for coffee for our tented rooms for the morning. We were told that we could take it to bed with us in a flask. No problem there. On waking and pouring our coffee it was STONE COLD! Not a good start. When we went to breakfast, which is excellent, our coffee there was luke-warm. Nile Porch/Black Lantern Restaurant was rapidly going down in my estimation. We booked a birding trip on the Nile, and although we saw many birds, our guide hit a hidden rock with his boat and was not concerned at all about his clients (who had paid $50 pp) he was more concerned about his propeller,but even with that he showed minimal concern. My friend hit the back of the seat with her knee, she has a dodgy knee and nearly smashed her camera, and y husband's binoculars were damaged. To add insult to injury, when I paid the bill, there was an "optional" gratuity added into the total. When I enquired as to why add it into the total then, I was just told "it is optional"! Sadly, after taking good friends there with the hope of giving a good impression, and giving them a treat I WILL NOT be staying there ever again. It is NOT cheap, but we were not looking for cheap and I was bitterly disappointed!

Room Tip: Don't ask for morning coffee. Watch what is written on your bill. "Optional gratuity"...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends