“Poor Service, Okay Food, Great Views”
Review of Jinja Nile Resort

Jinja Nile Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Jinja
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stopped by the Jinja Nile Resort for a late lunch after a tour of Jinja. The service was pretty slow. We made our order at around 4 pm and ending up eating at 7 pm. To make matters worse, the waitress got one of our orders mixed up and brought something we hadn't ordered. The food was decent but not great. On the up side, the resort had gorgeous views of the River Nile, and the grounds and cottages looked great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank EastAfricanGirl
There are newer reviews for Jinja Nile Resort

Reviewed 4 June 2014

From the photos it looks great but the real thing was disappointing. It cost me $300 a day, the internet was very bad, so bad it was at times impossible to do anything with it and there is no internet in the common areas, only your room. The gym was almost a joke. They turn off the warm water daily from 5am till 5pm, go figure? There is no microwave. The pool table is torn and coming a part literally at the seems and the balls are chipped and missing. The pool is wonderful if you can use it, they open it up to the public always so literally bus loads of ppl would arrive and suddenly your private romantic moment is gone do to the overwhelming locals and their kids. The monkeys are attractive at first but when you see the monkeys handling the pool side food and dishes and then those dishes taken to a pool side patron it makes you wonder how much of your food and drinks have been handled by a monkey and will you be getting sick later that day! Omg, the list goes on. And finally, the feather in my cap was someone came into my room and robbed me, they took all my money, they used a key to do it and when I approached the manager about this I was passed on the the head of security who told me that in his fifteen years of working there that there had never been a brake in before, I was the first. He was such a liar, next day the police came and they told me that they have complaints at this hotel about robbery regularly. The hotel accused me of planning my own robbery so that I could collect on my travelers insurance, only I didn't have travelers insurance, so then hotel security accused me of lieing to them so that I would get a discount on my bill. Btw, I never got a discount, they gave me nothing, I paid full price after loosing all of my 1100 USD to the thief. I told them it was probably a team work between their security guards and their housekeeping. I saw them leave my area as I was returning from the pool, it was then that I noticed my money missing and some things moved about in my room. Please, do yourself a favor and me too, don't stay here if you go to Jinja, stay some place else, it isn't worth it, $300 a day? Its not worth it. Sincerely, Mr.Barton, a USA physician.

Room Tip: You want a good room? Go to a different hotel. But if you insist, pick one facing the river.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank MBartonUSA
Reviewed 14 May 2014

As a Ugandan and American couple living about 2 hours away in Mbale, we chose to have our wedding at Jinja Nile Resort in April 2014 and could not have been happier with our experience. James, the general manager was fantastic. We chose a location on the property that had never accommodated a wedding before, but James gave us exactly the spot we wanted and the staff worked hard to make sure everything went smoothly. The location was beautiful, overlooking the Nile River. The property has so many great places to take photos, it was hard to choose because we didn't have enough time to go to all of them. We had our reception on the balcony dining area and had an amazing buffet dinner served by the friendly staff. We even had last minute requests that were immediately fulfilled. We stayed the night in one of the cottages overlooking the river, which was totally worth a little extra money. We were so happy with everything and thanked James 100 times for his hospitality and willingness to make us, the client happy. We will always have wonderful memories of this place and plan to come back for a getaway again this year.

Room Tip: The cottages overlooking the River are the best. Cottage 18 or 19 both have great views. The regula...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maegan H
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel sits high up above the Nile with beautiful views. Most of the rooms seem to be in cottages that spread out down from the main hotel. The rooms are comfortable enough, nice bed, shower, fan (no AC), small fridge and old TV. There is a nice pool and a complete gym. It seemed pretty empty when I was there, but despite that there were no pool chairs available. The phones were not working and the first few things I ordered for dinner were not available. Breakfast pretty mediocre although they do make fresh eggs for you. Service was reasonable - some people trying hard, some hardly trying at all, some clueless. Little pricey perhaps at $200 for a room with a Nile view. Not much character. So not a bad place to stay, safe and comfortable, but with some effort could be much more fun.

Room Tip: It is an extra $20 for a room with an unobstructed view of the Nile. That's sort of why you are...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have been travelling to Uganda since the past 15 years and have visited this place a number of times and stayed there too.

This time when I visited this place, we were there for lunch, the service was awful. We were 6 people. We ordered lunch at 2 o'clock and there was no sign of the food in spite of numerous reminders. We had a diabetic with us who had taken his insulin, therefore I had to go up to the kitchen to check what was going on.

It seemed as if they had gone to fish in the Nile for the tilapia we had ordered.

We finally got the food at 4 o'clock.

So, I say AWFUL SERVICE.......get your socks up!!!!!!

Room Tip: the rooms are good
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank anipatel
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I was here for a meeting with a group of about 35. Our needs were well attended to. but we worked closely with staff that were quite responsive to our needs.

Beautiful setting; Bungalows with double beds, a small sitting area and separate shower.
opens out to a small balcony where one can sit and watch the sun set on the other side of the river Nile. The perfect way to end a long day.

There was a buffet for every meal; with a variety of dishes. One could also order a la carte.

The swimming pool was average, with a swim-up bar. I also made use of the gym which offered a variety of exercise machines though not the latest...
The monkeys show up every morning but they seemed pretty benign.....

I would recommend this for families seeking to get away from Kampala for a break.

Room Tip: Please request a room directly overseeing the Nile; the view is amazing especially in the evening wi...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank winnie m
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had an annual meeting for the offices on the Africa continent here this past weekend. I'd estimate we had a little over 100 people, and it seemed the facilities were able to handle it. There were some bumpy things, but first I'll talk about the good stuff.

As others have mentioned, the ground are very nice and kept up well. I'd just point out that the property is on the Nile river, not Lake Victoria (hence the name of the resort). It's a bit spread out, so some of the cottages are pretty far away from the pool area. But along the way you may see some monkeys and other wildlife.

The pool itself is a nice size and has a swim-up bar. We had our evening dinners set up as buffets with tables set up around the pool, which was really nice. Other meals were held in the inside buffet rooms, which were very spacious.

Some downsides though, mostly from the standpoint of being with a group/conference. The main room where we held the big meetings was not well ventilated and was often stifling, until someone finally brought in some fans. Strangely, the labels on the air conditioner were all written in Chinese, so it was hard to tell how to make adjustments. In the evening we had a DJ and other entertainment, and on several occasions the power blew out. The audio/visual people didn't seem to know what they were doing, but in fairness I don't think they actually worked for the hotel.

I could see going back. If you do go, make sure to bring enough shillings, because there is no ATM nearby.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business