“Expected better organization..”
Review of Adrift Riverbase

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jinja
Adrift Riverbase
Ranked #9 of 27 Speciality Lodging in Jinja
Leuven, Belgium
“Expected better organization..”
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed there one night included on my overland tour and one extra night. However, they had overbookings and tried to kick me out of my room (which was good by the way) in the morning. Every1 of my group had to go their with their booking confirmations and eventually 2 had to be relocated.. Very busy place for overland tours plus a lot of bungee jumping clients make it a bit chaotic in the bar area. Food quality is very good but service takes a long time and not everyone speeks English that well. Prices are reasonable. Nice view on the Nile with lots of birds and monkeys around!

• Stayed December 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2012

My husband and I stayed here with an overland camping group. We decided to "upgrade" to a room because of a torrential downpour and because the bar gets really loud at night. They charged us $65 american dollars (we are canadian) for a room that smelled musty and did not even have a toilet. Compared to the way cheaper prices we paid for much nicer rooms in East Africa I considered this to be completely outrageous. On the plus side the bar has a great view of the river, the walk through the local village is something I will always cherish, and I loved watching the monkeys play and eat fruit from the front porch of our room.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Westcoast4866

Travellers are raving about these Jinja hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Adrift has to be seen in the context of what it is - essentially a backpackers short stay put down. It has 2 person tents under thatch roofs, dorms which sleep 8 I think and two or three chalets. I stayed in a chalet at US$50 per night, which I don't consider to be cheap for the accommodation provided. You get a single room with double bed - that's it. No meals, no ensuite, no beds made in the morning, no daily room clean. The chalet would be lovely if it were not right next to the bar, which occasionally thumps with loud music well into the small hours, and if it had toilet facilities that would also bee an improvement - then $50 might be a better deal.

It was also disappointing not to be able to get coffee early in the morning. I like to get up early and spend some quiet morning time with Africa over a cup of coffee. Sadly coffee doesn't appear until the manageress decides to haul her ample self out of her pit, which if it's been a party night the night before (and most nights are) is well after 9 o'clock, by which time Africa has done half a day's work and is getting noisy, sweaty and less enchanting.

Don't expect hot water in the showers either. Thank the Lord I visited during the warm months so a cold shower, whilst requiring some initial swift and sharp intakes of breath, ultimately proved to be a more or less enjoyable man test.

But all of that said Adrift is a back packer/overland truck stop, not a 4, 3, 2 or possibly even 1 star resort. If you're after back packer accommodation you should find it OK. Don't take your wife there on honeymoon unless you've had enough of her by the time of the best man's speech!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I opted for the tent lodging, double bed, shared facilities and it was a great deal for the money. The bar and the bar food was very god and reasonably priced.
I would easily recommend this place to any budget traveler. You can pitch a tent if you want

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed at this resort for two nights as part of our tour through Uganda. This was by far the best place we stayed at during our travels of Uganda. We stayed in one of their tents which had two single beds. The tent had a lamp, good space, was very clean and comfortable and had mosquito nets that fell all the way to the floor. Hot showers were available. Excellent staff. A number of day trips and activities were available at the resort. An excellent stay.

Room Tip: No lights in the toilets though so make sure you have a head lamp/torch.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 November 2011

The rooms seemed ok until we found the rats running around inside and the monkeys hopping on the roof at 6AM. We also had some types of bugs in our bed as we woke up with bites all over our arms (despite sleeping in a mosquito net).

Bar area was a ton of fun (I would recommend stopping by). Bungee jumping is also a must do. Tony the Bunjee Master was awesome and super safe. In recollection, Bungee jumping was the highlight of my 5 weeks in Africa.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank NinoNJ
London
Reviewed 5 December 2010

We hadn't planned to stay - but having done the rafting & bungee jump. We stayed even though we had cases not a backpack & so were out of place!! But the location was fabulous, the wildlife superb, the food good, the washrooms fabulous - incredible value for money. We were woken by monkeys on the roof and on the trees outside. The unimpeded view was over the Nile. Staff were courteous & helpful. I would go back again - anytime!! (Maybe not to bungee jump next time!!)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jinja
Speke Hotel
#4 of 100 in Kampala
Forest Cottages
Forest Cottages
#9 of 100 in Kampala

Been to Adrift Riverbase? Share your experiences!