“Breathe in but not out”
Review of Breathe Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lanesville
Breathe Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Lanesville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 April 2010

Lovely grounds, garden and decor but not friendly. The owners had a small child at the time and billed themselves as family friendly, but then told us at 9am not to let the children make any noise in the common areas. Felt like they created this place and rented it out due to necessity. It also didn't feel that clean. The room we stayed in had a huge stain on the rug. Marlon was a wonderful chef, though.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank gabowen

Reviewed 18 October 2009

Looking at the website you expect a wonderful , warm , inviting place where you can do yoga and feel at home in a zen environment . Thumbs up to the great marketing.
When you arrive however expect to feel more like an unwelcomed guest in someone's personal home.
The owner Marlon, I have to say though, is a wonderful and warm person , however he unfortunately doesn't seem to run the place.
The place an unfinished show- piece.
The rooms lack furnishing to put any items down and the bathroom has every practical necessity missing you can imagine. I am all about zen and no unnecessary clutter but it was not comfortable.
All this would be forgivable if not for the the lack of hospitality.
You have to take your shoes off- mandatory ( which is great and I endorse) but no slippers or anything of that kind are offered to you, prepare to leave with a cold unless you bring your own.
Your breakfast will be placed on your plate at 10am promptly - no from- till freedom . There are no second helpings, if you are late, it will be cold, your problem. The community table is a forced face to face with strangers, when it's awkward to not speak since it is too small to not converse and everyone has to eat at the same time or else you go empty.
Location wise it is great and we do wish the owners best of luck.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2009

We decided to write a review on Breathe Inn after seeing some of the negative posts about the property. Now some of the complaints we can certainly understand; lack of cell phone service in the town, no shoes allowed past the front door (you'd have to do the same if you came to my house), and the wifi was a bit spotty. But at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, why go to a b&b in the first place? We believe it's to escape from being held prisoner to your blackberry and iphone and remind yourself that sometimes life's simplest pleasures can be relaxing under the stars or basking in the warmth that mother nature can provide.

Marlon and Camilla may not be your typical innkeepers, however, they were warm, welcoming and attentive to our needs. Marlon's breakfasts were first rate and personally as a meat lover, it didn't even occur to me that bacon wasn't an option - that's how good his eggs were. They have done a fantastic job of bringing a little bit of the city to the country, while keeping it simple.

If you're looking for the typical b&b with Laura Ashley floral prints, and indulgent pancake and sausage breakfasts, this isn't the place for you (you can always drive down the road to Sweet Sue's for that). However, if your looking for modern living in the country, with easy access to good food, Hunter Mountain, Woodstock and fresh air then you will enjoy Breathe Inn.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cto277
Reviewed 15 September 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the Breathe Inn for my birthday and we had an incredible experience. Typically I am not big on bed and breakfasts, but this one caught my eye. Just two hours from NYC, the Breathe Inn looked like the perfect destination for some peace and relaxation. The owners have done a fabulous job at refurbishing the old Victorian home, with all the modern amenities you would expect, and have done so with impeccable style. Each room is decorated differently with a fresh, eclectic mix of contemporary furnishings with antique accents. There are tons of cozy nooks to read and relax and the large properties are great for long strolls and fresh air. We did not utilize the yoga studio, pool or sauna, but will definitely take advantage next time. The only downfall I could see was that we did not book one of the rooms that had an attached bathroom, so we had to truck our toiletries down the hall when needed. A very minor thing for us, but if you are the high-maintenance type I would recommend booking a room with a private bath.

The Inn was incredibly clean and the owners are friendly and accommodating, offering great suggestions of things to do and see in the area. The owner also is a chef who made phenomenal vegetarian breakfasts each morning.

I would highly recommend this Inn for young-ish folks who are looking to get-a-way for a few nights of peace a quiet and experiencing a place a little off the beaten path. I left feeling refreshed and inspired to redecorate my apartment! Can't wait to visit again soon.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYCScout77
Reviewed 15 September 2008

We booked a weekend at the Breathe Inn after hearing about it via an online newsletter. I checked Trip Advisor AFTER we booked and was nervous based on the other reviews. I have to say, however, we were pleasantly surprised with our stay. The inn itself is beautiful, decorated like a page from Dwell Magazine. The staff was warm and friendly, helped us carry our bags to our room, and offered us lots of info/options on activities and restaurants.

They do have some specific guidelines for your stay, such as shoes off and keeping food to the kitchen area. They also offer you slippers for your stay there and tell you in advance that they have a no shoes policy. The breakfasts there were hands down the best meals we had all weekend - fresh ingredients, great flavors. We did, as the other review mentions, have only soy milk in our coffee, but we didn't taste the difference, and breakfast included eggs, so we were more than satisfied.

Know before you go this is a unique environment (not like other B&Bs), where they strive to create a calm and quiet atmosphere for their guests to relax. They have movies/full cable, games, books and magazines available for enjoying while you lounge - we spent several hours on Sunday morning reading in rocking chairs on the porch while enjoying our coffee.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2008

This was my first time--and will, unfortunately, be my last time staying at this inn. A note to the inn-keepers: If you wish to build brand loyalty, you would benefit greatly from being warm and attentive to your guests. Imposing stiff and pompous rules on your guests will keep them from coming back. In addition, depriving them of basic needs--such as access to a telephone, or a comfortable mattress--will downright spoil their experience.

Until service and amenities are drastically improved, this place will remain merely a showpiece for the inn-keepers' fondness for interior design--and not a relaxing place to get away from the stresses of city life.

• Stayed: July 2008
4  Thank julesbklyn
Reviewed 31 July 2008

The tagline for this Inn is "Hamptons without the fuss," but I found the experience to be quite the opposite. While the location is gorgeous, the service was shockingly pretentious, snobby and sorely lacking.

When it came to decor, Breathe-Inn did not disappoint. Nice furniture, soaring ceilings, dark wood floors, crisp, white walls, original art from world-famous artists like Bansky. But perhaps the owners focused so much energy on the design that they overlooked some really key elements that can really make or break a guest's experience. And those two things are hospitality and creature comforts, such as a quality bed.

When we arrived, Marlon—one half of the couple that owns the property—guided us to our rooms on the third floor. Everything was beautiful and I was excited. Up the stairs to our rooms was when I first got the initial inkling of trouble, though. I was carrying two heavy bags, as was my companion, but Marlon never offered to lend us a hand. I thought that was odd.

We were informed prior to booking that there are 3 separate rooms there with 2 shared bathrooms on our floor. While we thought it was rather unconventional, we didn't want to dwell on it. But soon we saw that the sharing aspect presented some major problems. Only one of the baths had a shower; the other had a clawfoot tub. So if all three rooms are booked, it could be 4 people or more sharing one shower. Major privacy issues there.

However, I would have been willing to let all that go if my room had every guest's main requirement: A nice bed. But it was atrociously uncomfortable (not to mention dirty; there were two brown stains on my fitted sheet). The mattress was stiff, thin and cheap. I had to create an extra layer of cushioning out of the comforters to make it somewhat bearable. Even still, I could feel the coils poking me in the back.

My room (called "Molly") had no alarm clock, no bedside table and no reading lamp. There was no iron and no blow dryer, no notepad and no pen, and of course no TV. However, the owners did make sure to put in a large, stainless-steel mini-bar in the closet, crammed with champagne ($80), red wine ($50) and other overpriced goodies. What strange irony, I thought.

I could go on about the other various flaws in the rooms, but there was a more important matter affecting our experience: the lack of true hospitality. You see, Breath-Inn is the owners' property and we are merely being given access to experience it -- on their terms.

And what are those terms? I'll give you two unpleasant examples:

One night, we settled in the TV room (shared by all the guests) to eat a late snack and watch some movies. Just as we were beginning to relax, Marlon walked in and announced: "We would actually prefer it if you ate in the kitchen." I was shocked. We were never informed -- verbally or otherwise -- that eating is only allowed in the kitchen. (Strangely, though, eating is allowed in the rooms, because the mini bar contained food items). If I was an inn-keeper and saw my guests eating and relaxing (being very neat about it, by the way) at the end of the day, I would have held off on telling them about this rule.

That same night, I was having trouble with my internet connection (there's wi-fi there). Since we had no internet and no access to a phone -- there's no cell phone reception up there -- I asked Marlon to leave the lone landline phone out for us before he went to bed. It would have been our only access to the outside world. He hesitated. "Who do you have to call at midnight? Do you have an emergency?" (it was actually 10:30 p.m.) It was an unusual, invasive question. It should be a guest's right to have access to communication. Why does it have to be an emergency to have access to a phone? This is not the Overlook Hotel from the Shining, right?

After some awkward moments of me trying to explain to him that I prefer to have access to some kind of communication device just in case, he said he would leave the phone in the kitchen. He never did.

The inn presents a kind of odd mix of Zen and uptight. While the shelves are stacked with books on meditation and yoga (the inn does offer occasional yoga lessons), the note by the mini-war instructs: "Please be mindful when drinking red wine in your room, we want to keep breathe-inn nice and clean." If the owners are paranoid about guests spilling red wine, I have a tip: Don't stock red wine in your mini bar. In fact, get rid of the mini bar altogether. Because if you're expecting the types of guests who don't care about using the phone at any point during their stay, those guests probably won't care for drinking your $50 mini-bar wine either.

Bottom line: Breathe-Inn was like a museum of fine art than a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank snyc9

Been to Breathe Inn? Share your experiences!