“Couldn't stay there”
Review of Rogues' Harbor Inn

Rogues' Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Lansing B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The pictures are deceiving - I couldn't stay there and was willing to sleep in the car rather than in the room we had booked. Cobwebs hanging from ceiling, dirt in the entry and halls, sheets didn't look freshly laundered. The shower curtain was very dark and would have prevented any light from filtering into the shower.
We left and did not stay even though we had reservations.
AVOID.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Eileen S, Owner at Rogues' Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

I'm alarmed to hear that this was your impression of us, Sylvia! I'd welcome the opportunity to talk with you more about this, as any further feedback you have will help us to better your experience. Would you be willing to reach out to me directly?

Thank you for the review and I'll hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

we had a wonderful stay at this quirky hotel. the building itself is older but the room was bright and appropriate for the style of hotel. the bed was super comfortable. breakfast was simple but tasty and the meals and beer at the pub were both excellent.

good location for the area, even if a bit noisy as it's on the corner of a busy street. not much in walking distance but they had all we needed - good food and drinks!

most importantly, the staff was outstanding. welcoming and helpful, going above and beyond. i appreciate their attention to detail. most helpful was them mailing a lost phone charger.

thanks!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LuvTraveling06
Eileen S, Owner at Rogues' Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

What a lovely review! I couldn't be happier to hear that we were able to make your stay such a hit and I can't wait to pass along your kind words to the rest of my team. As for that phone charger, it was absolutely no trouble at all! We know that's a pretty essential item, so it was our pleasure to get it in the mail for you. Will you be back in our neck of the woods anytime soon? We'd love to host you again!

Cheers,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The room was decent..with sufficient character, ....old building musty smell, creaking floor boards et al......shower stall was tiny...a lot of road noise....all of that was forgivable but what was absolutely not was the worst Sunday morning breakfast we have ever had. I guess some of the other reviewers were just lucky to have had a completely different breakfast experience or have no idea what good food is. I wish I had taken some photos to illustrate how limited was the 'spread', and how unappealing and unappetizing everything looked...and of course it tasted as bad...worst way to start a day. Since TA does not allow a 3 word review...I made that the title of the review.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Eileen S, Owner at Rogues' Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

I'm so sorry to hear that your experience wasn't quite what you expected. You should be able to count on a top-notch experience on all fronts when you stay with us, so I hope you'll accept my sincerest apologies if we missed the mark here. With age comes a certain amount of 'charm' and different quirks, but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea when it comes to their accommodations. As far as the food, I'd love to get more feedback from you on what exactly wasn't hitting the spot. If you'd be willing to reach out directly, I would much appreciate the opportunity to continue the discussion. Thank you for the review and I'll hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Room was ok..we knew it would be dated...but the shower stall tiny...the biggest disappointment was the breakfast. ..probably the worst we have ever had....bar none....nothing was worth talking about. ..overall not an experience I will recommend

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

I'm so sorry to hear that our breakfast left you so underwhelmed, Vinod. That's certainly not the impression we're looking to make, so I would love to know what wasn't hitting the spot. We're always looking for ways to better your experience, so if you have any specific feedback, we'd love to hear it! Thank you for sharing your experience here and we'll hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

With a name of Rogue's Harbor, one would expect something a little offbeat. The massive 4-story brick structure north of Ithaca in the town of Lansing certainly lives up to the name. Built is 1830, one can see and feel the history in this unusual but charming Bed and Breakfast.
Outside, you can see how the old structure has settled as several of the concrete window frames have cracked and the floor is less than level in many areas. But living in a house from 1880, we knew that was to be expected. Inside though, you can see the care the current owner took to accent the buildings' history. The original woodwork has been carefully restored, the artwork lining the walls of every floor show Rogues Harbor at various points during its history and the rooms have the feel of a luxurious past.
The place has certainly seen a share of unusual or "rogue" guests over the years. The cast of characters were certainly led by its' founder Daniel Minier whose eccentric but cool photo portrait hangs over the central point of the bar and eerily on the second floor where we stayed in Room 3. The restaurant and bar are certainly the focal point during the weekend as the placed was packed with diners and bar patrons Friday through Sunday. For good reason, too. The food selection is innovative, well prepared and the service from wait staff, expeditors and bartenders was prompt, friendly and attentive. It genuinely felt like a home away from home. Mention must be made of the beer brewed on site. The pale ale rivals any of the great pale ales from Oregon or California. It's really that good and it was one of the pleasant surprises of our trip. Their black IPA and Red Ale were not far behind.
My wife and I found Room 3 very romantic. It had a firm and comfortable king-size sleigh bed, along with one of supposed 15 fireplaces in the building. There was plenty of closet and drawer space for clothes and a pitcher of Brita-filtered water I thought was a nice touch. It was a great room to cozy up and get re-acquainted. The only drawback for two of the four rooms on the floor is that a shared bathroom and bathroom with shower was down the hall. However, it seemed we had the floor to ourselves most of the time even though there were guests there. The white fluffy bathrobes certainly helped us feel more comfortable with the arrangements. I had a dream I was staying there in the 1890's and the décor and Captain Minier certainly authenticated my vision.
Breakfast was served in the renovated ballroom on the third floor. Quiche and mushroom omelets were the hot offerings two of the mornings and French-pressed coffee was a nice touch. Fresh fruit and the usual pastries were also available. The room is adorned with interesting books about the area and various board games. It was an interesting atmosphere to begin the day.
Rogue Harbor is on the eastern shore of Lake Cayuga, around 4 miles north of Ithaca. Many of the areas great wineries are just to the north. Going south, Ithaca Falls is one of the first sight-seeing spots you come to upon entering the town. Cornell University is up the hill to the left and downtown is a short drive to the right. Robert Treman Park, Buttermilk Falls and Ithaca Brewing are just a short drive out of town. In short, there is no trouble getting around anywhere you wish to go in Ithaca.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bearlee
Eileen S, Owner at Rogues' Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Thank you for this wonderfully informative review! We're sure your fellow reviewers will much appreciate your colorful descriptions of all our offerings. It sounds like you and your wife enjoyed your visit from start to finish, and we couldn't be happier to hear it. Hopefully you got a chance to explore the surrounding area a bit -- no matter the time time of year, Ithaca's natural beauty never ceases to amaze us!

Cheers,

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The Rogues' Harbor Inn is an excellent choice for a stay in the Ithaca , NY / Finger Lakes Region. Located in Lansing , NY this restored landmark , listed on the National Historical Registry, has modern conveniences such as private showers and high speed internet without losing the charm of a local landmark that was once a stop on the Underground Railroad and the Stage Coach line from Ithaca to points north. During Prohibition it was a "speak easy" and it has returned , now legally, to brewing some of the best local beer.
Even though we live just a mile down the road , we have stayed over night , in two of the rooms, for special occasions. I highly recommend staying on Halloween for the wonderful Spirits that still frequent the upstairs ballroom . The complimentary breakfast is served made to order there and includes homemade bread, fruit, coffee, juice and an egg dish of the day . The price is often less than a "good" chain hotel downtown.
Check out their restaurant for good locally grown meat and produce. The owner tries to include at least one ingredient from area farmers and the excellent wineries in the area in each entrée.

The only drawback is that it is not wheelchair accessible; the doorways are not wide enough to accommodate a standard chair . It has outside stairs that are do-able on crutches and a walker but there is not a ramp or elevator to the rooms due to the historic designation.
They offer carry-out but that's not the same experience. They should be commended for biodegradable packaging for your carryout or leftovers.

Friendly , local and experienced staff, long time owner who is present most nights; music some nights in the bar.

Room Tip: Check the website and pick a room on the parking lot side. The owner, Eileen Stout , will be happy t...