“Odd hotel, terrible service”

Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Latham
Reviewed 20 August 2011

This is a very odd hotel. The decorating is immediately off putting. The lobby is strange mix of clashing colors. A quotation of Albert Einstein is prominently painted backwards above the main entrance. Why backwards?Whoever designed these hotels was clearly trying too hard to be eclectic. None of it works. The rooms, halls & restaurant are just as overwrought in their appearance. My main problem with the decorating however was functional. The rooms have hardwood floors. They may look good, but they were a real problem. The rooms are not well soundproofed to start with and every sound is amplified by the lack of carpeting. When the HVAC kicks on, when you turn over in bed, and lord help you when anyone walks or talks in the hall outside your room. My room had a half inch gap between the bottom of the door and the hardwood floors. Every little noise on my floor sounded like it was in my room.

My main complaint was that the front desk staff did not get one thing right during my stay. It's truly astonishing how inept they were. They were all very pleasant and friendly and even apologetic but I mean to tell you they could not get anything right. I called for a shuttle from the airport and waited over an hour. The hotel is 2 miles away. I called 4 times during that hour and was continually assured that the shuttle would be there momentarily. I had given up and went to hail a taxi when I noticed this annoyed looking shuttle bus driver standing next to his vehicle. His bus was painted with the name of an off-site parking lot. I got this feeling and asked him if he was the Hotel Indigo shuttle and he said yes. He'd been there the whole time but the bus doesn't say Indigo anywhere on it. He explained that the parking lot he works for contracts with the hotel. That would have been fine if the women working the front desk had told me that one of the four times that I'd called. I had a non-smoking room reserved and after I checked in and was walking away from the front desk I was informed that "oh by the way, we ran out of non-smoking rooms but we aired your room out for a couple hours". I walk to my room and can smell the smoke before I even open the door. It's smells like a basement bar from the 70's in there. I go back to the front desk and tell them thanks anyway but I'm going to find another hotel. Suddenly she says she has a non-smoking room. Where was it 5 minutes ago? "Oh, someone else has it reserved but I'll give it to you." Great.... I should have kept walking. The phone in the room didn't work, two of the machines and half the lighting in the exercise room didn't work, the TV remote had dead batteries, a snow plow outside woke me up at 2am, a garbage truck woke me up at 5am, my bill was incorrect and they were not able to fix it. I had to call the manager the day after I left to get it corrected. Unfortunately there was more but you must get the point.

I travel for a living. The only reason this place gets 2 instead of a 1 is that and there are much worse hotels out there. The bed was clean and comfortable and I never feared for my safety. The staff, though clueless, were never rude. If that's all you require, save some $ and find a Motel6.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
IHGCare, ihg care at Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. IHG Care ^bj

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham

Reviewed 16 August 2011

The decor of this hotel is very different from other hotels in the same level. It was as if we were staying in a hip boutique hotel. I felt it was a bit overpriced, though. I has a nice small cafe in the lobby.

The negative side of it was that the heater didn't work and the front staff didn't know how to change the room temperature. This was a problem for us as we were with a young child and it was unseasonably cold day.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I had an extended stay at this hotel, and my overall experience was nothing short of phenominal. From the friendly and professional staff, to the modern appearance and cleanliness of the building and rooms, I felt welcomed and comfortable. I felt like I was at home ! The things I appreciated the most about my room were the hardwood floors, large walk-in shower, granite countertops, HD television, and super-quick wireless internet. I also liked the fitness room on site and the restaurant / lounge connected to the hotel. In my opinion, this hotel offers great value. I will gladly stay here again and again when visiting or working in the Albany, NY area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Steven A
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I stayed 2 nights during a visit with friends and family. The hotel lobby was fresh and bright with a very friendly staff. I stayed in a standard room with a king size bed. Absolutely lovely! The decor, neat and clean.
When I came in Friday night I was tired and looking for a meal. They have a wonderful restaurant on the main floor and , as I was alone , I was greeted immediately and brought to a seat at the bar. Perfect. A great band was playing and I had a delicious lite meal!
I left on Sunday, rested. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beth H
jb1373, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Thank you for the kind words regarding your stay at the Hotel Indigo Latham. We take pride in the work we do and always appreciate it immensely when a guest notices.

It is always a pleasure to see our guests taking the time to share their experiences. I have shared your comments with the Hotel Indigo and Blu Stone Bistro staff.

We look forward to your next stay; please give us a call the next time you will be traveling to the Albany area.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,

Jennifer

Reviewed 7 August 2011

I've been here for both business & pleasure. I've stayed in a guest suite and in a standard room. Additionally, I've eaten in their fabulous, very international BluStone cafe. This is Albany's best-kept secret. Rooms are new, clean, nicely decorated and all at a very reasonable price. Location is central & accessible and the staff & management are supreme. You really must give this hotel a look next time you are in the Albany area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sleddog7
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Even though I was only at the hotel for a brief time I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I got into the hotel late and had an early flight the next day so I didn't get to use any of the amenities that were offered, but based on my experience I would definitely stay there again.

There was some confusion with my booking when I arrived but the front desk clerk was very professional about the situation and quickly helped me get things sorted out, my assistant had booked the wrong date. They were able to accomodate me and were quite helpful with my situation.

The hotel was nice and the bed was wonderful. I hope to get to stay longer on my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cityguy3
Reviewed 5 August 2011

As some of the other reviewers have stated there are good and bad issues with the Indigo.
Our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortble. I too found the small pillows annoying but probably because we are used to our king size pillows at home. We knew there was no pool so that wasn't an issue. Didn't eat at the restaurant attached to hotel but did go there for a drink. The atmosphere was nice and the drinks were good. They have a nice area for outdoor dining. The continental breakfast they offer (not included) was less than appealing so we went to a diner near by. What they call a workout room was extremely small with limited equipment.

We were in the area to visit Saratoga for the races so we didn't spend time in this area. It was a short drive to Saratoga and much less expensive than the hotels near the races.

All & all some of the complaints others had were justified but for us it was fine.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
Hampton Inn Albany - Wolf Road (Airport)
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
The Desmond Hotel Albany
Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
Home2 Suites by Hilton Albany Airport / Wolf Rd

Been to Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham? Share your experiences!