“Good for the value”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Latham
Scarborough
“Good for the value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2007

Called up the inn one week before trip started and the staff referred me to download the coupon from roomsaver.com which had a promotion at $43 + tax for the inn. Coupon only valid for walk-in.

Printed the coupon online before arrival, and presented the coupon without problem and inn had vacancy that time even though we arrived late on a Friday evening.

Front desk staff was helpful, and arranged wife and I got into a guestroom on the second floor. Inn had been around for 14 yrs (renovated in 2005), and had always been Microtel Inn as I was told. We had to have stable wifi signal that time and requested for a guestroom with better wifi signal, and staff was helpful and got us a second floor non-smoking room.

Room was small, and as similar as another location we lived in one night around Grove City, PA. Big mirror at the back of the room above the bed and TV located above the cabinet. Room was clean but could see some furnitures showed its age. There is a fridge and a microwave oven on top on it. Bathroom was clean, but water pressure not that great for me. Noisy heater and fridge too. It woke me up twice during the night.

Breakfast had coffee, muffins, beagles, and there was a toaster too. I think I saw orange juice but didn't try though. Breakfast started from 6am until 10am which I think it's better since for those of who are not rush out in the morning don't have to get up early to eat.

Over all it's good to stay for the money I spent. If you need to access to wifi, make sure you ask for a room with better signal. There was a courtesy computer located next to the front desk for guest use.

• Liked — value since I got coupon and was cheap
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JDMEvo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Central Coast California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2007

The disco room!!! Yes, now you too can experience disco fever by staying at the Microtel. Complete with extra large wall mirror that gives you that disco inferno feeling. The only thing this place is missing is shag carpet! You just can't help but wonder what they were thinking when they designed these rooms. Pretend your bed is heart shaped and it will all make sense. The Microtel is okay if you're on a budget, and still want an upgraded version of Motel 6 with an interior cooridor...handy when it's -10 degrees. In many cases, this place is the same price as Motel 6, so it's a much better value.

The Good:
Internet access is fast, and free. Room is clean, and has a comfortable workstation and chair. Heating / cooling is great, and there's plenty of parking. They have a free newspaper in the a.m. in the lobby where you can also grab some low grade danish, coffee, and juice. There's even some fruit. Good price, good neighborhood, many places to eat nearby. Cheap gas station next door where you can also buy a few drinks and snacks.

The Bad:
This one must be independently owned. I had a lazy morning before my flight, but this seemed almost intolerable to the old man maid that appeared to be a grandpa in the family owned property. Every time I opened the door to put something in the car, or grab something in the lobby, he was there right outside my door diligently waiting, staring, and even trying to see into my room...This was a major pain in the butt!
The TV is great, but forget about watching it if your working at the desk. The desk is situated so you can't see the tv, which is way up above your head to the side. To watch the tv while working on your computer you must do the following: look into the mirror above the desk into the mirror above the bed on the other side of the room. Then you can watch the tv through a double image. Fun stuff!

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — family member maid that waited outside my room, and even tried to see inside it when I opened the door
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank California_Wine
Long Island, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2007

I stayed here once before in 2006 and had a tug-of war with a man from the housekeeping dept. who refused to let go of my overnight bag and insisted he take it to the car. He was aggressive and rude. I complained to mgt. and I was given the impression they fired him. I decided to give them a 2nd chance and stayed last night with my wife. The room was clean and cheap enough, but the mattress was so hard and uncomfortable that we were up all night. Also, we asked for a 2nd blanket and had none ... they gave us a sheet. In addition, the A/C was going on/off all night... no fan only setting... noisy.. disruptive. I know they are #1 with JD Power, but all Microtels are apparently individually owned/operated. Next time I'll pay another $50 and sleep.

Stayed July 2007
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2007

On our way down to NYC with our 1 year old, we decided to cut our drive in half. Stayed at the Microtel Latham, NY and got a rate of $55! Room was a bit small, but hey we paid $55! I strongly recommend.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
Highland Park, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2007

Having stayed at a number of Albany properties off the Northway on my way to Montreal, my wife and I have returned to the MicroTel a number of times. The rooms are small, but clean. The property is also clean (can't be said of other properties in the price range). With a pleasant staff, continental breakfast, good location, and low price, the MicroTel is a fantastic value for the area.

• Liked — Value
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheRat
pleasant valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2007

I stayed in another Microtel and decided to give this one a try. It is conveniently located near the Northway. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping all around. Our room was clean, the corridors were also clean and we were very happy with the Continental Breakfast, Wireless internet and coffee that was available all day.
I read someone else's review about security - she is right - there is none. One of the first things my husband noticed was the lack of video surveillance of the property. Luckily, nothing happened to us while we stayed.
My only "complaint" is that the housekeeping crew starts EARLY! make sure your Do Not Disturb sign is on bright and early.

• Liked — Reasonable prices
  • Disliked — Lack of security
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank pvmom1967
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2007

I must say that the staff was great and the hotel was clean. The price and location was right and that's why I chose to take three rooms in this brand named hotel. What a mistake that was!

What happened in the middle of the night should scare everyone into paying for a more expensive hotel that cares about the safety of their customers.

To be brief, my 22 year old daughter and her boyriend were beaten and robbed in the hotel hallway while attempting to enter their room!

There are no security cameras nor security guards on duty at this hotel. Further more the owner rents to topless dancers by the month that attract other "lowlife renters" and apparently parties abound every weekend...this info was according to the staff. The lowlife that attended the party attacked my daughter. The police informed me that this kind of stuff happens when there is no security.

My suggestion, pay the extra money for a hotel that cares about safety and security of their customers!

Stayed February 2007