“Not Great for Everyone . . .”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laurens
Gilbert Lake State Park
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for Memorial Day weekend (so your experience may be different if you're camping during off-peak times). Our campsite was very small, and there was no foliage or distance between neighbors. We camp very simply, with a tent and not much else, and we found ourselves surrounded by RVs and very large groups with many children and dogs. The playground atmosphere lasted well into the night and we had noisy neighbors who didn't settle down until around midnight. The hiking trails were nice and quiet, leading to a few small ponds, and getting out on a boat took us away from the noise for a bit. The bathroom facilities were also clean and well-maintained, and we found the rangers to be both friendly and helpful. However, I can't recommend this park to anyone who's looking for a little quiet and privacy out of their campsite. If you're a large family/group traveling with pets, this spot is perfect for you. It should also be noted that alcohol is supposedly prohibited in the park.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ams321

Reviewed 29 July 2009

My husband and I camped for a weekend at Gilbert Lake State Park. The campsite was very clean and well maintained. Campsites are a little close together, but that did not end up being a problem. Bathrooms were cleaned on a daily basis as well. The park staff were very friendly and always on patrol around the park. Gilbert Lake is beautiful and has a great sandy beach for kids to play in and a large grassy area to sunbathe and BBQ. There is also a large swimming area with life guards. My husband and I enjoyed hiking there and also enjoyed watching Celtic step dancers at the main pavilion Saturday night. The trails are very well maintained and easy to follow. We will definitely be going back next year!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluebug08
Reviewed 17 July 2009

Spent a long weekend with camping friends. Once again Gilbert Lake did not let us down.
The campsites and grounds and facilities where immaculate. The park was regularly and I mean regularly patrolled by staff and Park Ranger. (I like this alot) Takes your mind off any security issues...Plan to go back at least once more this year...The staff at Gilbert Lake deserve a big pat on the back for the good job they do!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank EVT0005
Reviewed 27 May 2009

My family just spent Memorial Day Weekend here for 3 nights. Coming from Long Island the ride was about 6 hours but it was well worth the trip. The campground was beautiful and the bathrooms were VERY clean. We camped in site 96 anything from 95 - 99 was a great site. Spacious, wooded and not far from the bathroom. There are several sites throughout the park but I found this section to be nice. Partly because I do not like camping right on top of another family. The lake is beautiful and the beach was especially clean, nicer than some of the other State Parks we have camped in. They have a concession stand at the beach area. There is a nature center for the kids and on Sunday there was a traveling zoo which visited the nature area and the kids were able to view snakes, gecco's and an owl up close. It was really neat! We rented a paddle boat and walked the lovely 2 mile path around the lake. For anyone who loves to camp and is looking for somewhere new it was excellent! We even took an afternoon trip to Howe Caverns which was a lot of fun.

• Stayed: May 2009
8  Thank mkmcbrennan

Been to Gilbert Lake State Park? Share your experiences!