“Great trip to Cooperstown”

Brookside Inn at Laurens
Ranked #1 of 1 Laurens B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Great trip to Cooperstown”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We decided to go to Cooperstown on a whim because our cousin was filming a movie in Oneonta for the month. We researched a bunch of hotels and ended up choosing this one because it had great reviews and the pictures were nice. They were right! Lori was an absolute sweetheart and pleasure to be around...she opened the door and knew who we were right away, and showed us around and made us feel right at home. In the morning, they offer a great breakfast buffet and let you make a plate with coffee or tea. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean and well kept. We would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great warm place to stay for a weekend getaway!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I've been wanting to visit the MLB Hall of Fame in Cooperstown for as long as I can remember, and this summer I finally got around to it. While shopping around for a motel, I spotted Brookside Inn at Laurens. I'd never stayed at a bed and breakfast before,but the price was reasonable so I thought, what the hey? It turned out to exceed my expectations! Lori greeted me by name when I arrived, and showed me around the house, and where I would be staying. There was candy by the bed (they know my weakness!) along with bottled water and a complimentary bottle of wine. There were all sorts of snacks in the dining room, available any time. Brookside Inn is beautifully decorated. You can tell a lot of thought goes into picking out the many decorations. And it's clean and neat. The inn is in a small town setting. Very peaceful. I went out for a couple of late night walks, and just sat on the porch and listened to the brook that runs alongside the inn. Breakfast was exquisite. So much variety, and so much tastier than anything the big name hotels dish out! I love bacon and eat a lot of it, and I gotta tell ya' this was some of the best tasting bacon I've ever had!
I had never traveled through the state of New York prior to this, and I was impressed. The countryside is breathtaking. I would recommend it to anyone. And if you do travel to the area, do yourself a favour and treat yourself to a stay at the Brookside Inn at Laurens. It's an experience you'll never forget.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank dgilligan60
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

What a wonderful find. Comfortable, clean, convenient, scrumptious, warm and sweet . Oh so sweet!. The many great reviews that I read about the Brookside Inn when searching for a B&B near Cooperstown persuaded me to book my two night stay here. The experience exceeded my expectations. Located less than 30 minute easy and picturesque drive to Cooperstown and 15 minutes from Oneonta made my stay with Lori and Dave one of the highlights in my longing desire to visit the BHoF, one of my bucket list item in my retirement. Upon arrival Lori greeted me by name on the front porch of this historical house built in 1802 that she and her husband renovated to provide a very special experience for their first time guests like myself and their repeat guests, which I sense must be many. Soon upon arrival I received a quick tour of the Inn and knew immediately that I was home. The common areas of the house are furnished with comfy sofas and chairs and charming decor that clearly has Lori's wonderful personality written all over them. The variety of sweet treats and beverages that are available 24/7 made me think that perhaps the Inn was also the local candy shop. Traveling alone I booked the single room (Gold) that is small, as expected, but more than adequate as I had easy access to the sitting room just outside of my front door. My bed was very comfortable, plenty of fluffy towels and extra pillows, with cable TV and WiFi access. Waking up each morning to freshly brewed coffee and the smell of bacon still lingers in my senses. A full breakfast, including fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, pastries, orange juice is always available, in addition to the hot items that Lori prepares each morning. The french toast and hash browned potatoes I had were delicious. Now I wish that I would have tried the eggs that were available my second morning but I turned as there were so many other items to choose from. No doubt, the next time I have reason to travel through that part of NY I would most definitely go out of my way to stay in this "home, sweet home". Thank you Lori and Dave!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The Brookside Inn was my first stay at a Bed and Breakfast, but after reading all of the great reviews I had to see what it was all about. Upon my early afternoon arrival I was greeted on the front porch by Lori. She showed me my room and gave me a tour of the house as well as some of the other guest rooms, even giving me some extra history about the house itself. The house was nicely decorated and made it very comfortable to be in, almost like staying at a friend’s house. Snacks were left out for hungry guests to munch on at any time of the day as well as a hot chocolate machine (which was quite good). The great room area had a more relaxed feel with some couches and chairs by a television and then a separate area for dining/reading/relaxing.
I stayed in the ‘yellow room’ and it came equipped with all of the accommodations of your typical room with the added bonus of chocolates (more quality than typical Hershey’s brand) and wine. The bed was extremely comfortable and between that and the breeze the ceiling fan provided, I slept like a baby throughout the night. For being on main street the traffic noise and headlights shining into the room were a concern, but the noise was minimal (even with the windows open), and the blinds did a wonderful job blocking out unwanted light. The room as well as the rest of the house was very clean making it easy to become comfortable. Lori and Dave were very accommodating and assisted me with finding a place to eat dinner (even calling first to make sure it was open) and giving me suggestions on what to do. The Brookside Inn was located right across the street from a park where free concerts happen every Wednesday during the summer. Unfortunately it was moved to an indoor location due to rain showers in the area; quite the shame because sitting on the porch to watch it seemed like a wonderful idea.
Breakfast the next morning was fantastic. Cereal, fruit, yogurt for those who like a cold breakfast and eggs, bacon, homemade home fries, and waffles greeted the rest of us! Unlike the normal continental or express breakfast served at hotels, this was a delicious change from the norm. Being a HUGE eggs and bacon fan myself I was happy to find that the eggs were cooked perfectly and seasoned well, and the bacon cooked to perfection. It is nice to see that someone isn’t afraid to add a little seasoning to these things!
Being in business and traveling from hotel to hotel the Brookside Inn was a very pleasant change from the norm. I felt cozy and comfortable in my surroundings and it made my business trip feel like less of a work outing. I will definitely be staying here on my next trip through the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
valley cottage
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Lori and Dave were warm and welcoming at their charming inn. We brought our daughter for a tour of SUNY Oneonta, others were touring Hartwick and still others were at All Star events near Cooperstown. Lori and Dave's inn is about 20 minutes from SUNY Oneonta. They welcomed us and provided mid afternoon snacks which were welcome after a long day of driving. We enjoyed the large front porch. Breakfast was delicious and there were eggs, sausage, pastries, and fruit as well as cereal, milk, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. The rooms were comfortable, clean and cozy. The bathroom on the first floor was large and very clean. I would definitely recommend this inn.

Room Tip: The red room on the first floor accommodates four if you are a family traveling together and can'...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
brooksidelaurens, Owner at Brookside Inn at Laurens, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thanks for the great review we are glad you enjoyed yourself next time you come we will have to show you a shorter route to the college since we are only 5 miles to SUNY Oneonta and Hartwick it should only have taken 10 minutes to get there
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived past our check in time because if the road conditions and Laurie waited for us and showed us to our room. It is in a beautiful house with such a warm and cozy atmosphere, it was especially nice after a 7 hour drive. The inn is located in a scenic area, at night you just see a sky full of stars--absolutely mesmerizing!! The breakfast is hearty, and this windy drive plus lovely inn is the highlight of our weeklong road trip. Baseball hall of fame is a must visit, only 15 mins away!!

• Stayed August 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We had a really nice and relaxed time at the Brookside Inn. Lori and Dave have put their hearts and souls into the place and they are most accommodating. The breakfasts and snacks were delicious and plentiful. The setting of the Inn next to the brook is very peaceful. The rooms and bathrooms were cleaner than any hotel. It's close to SUNY college and Hartwick College. You won't be disappointed if you stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laurens
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Courtyard Oneonta Cooperstown Area
Hampton Inn Oneonta
Hampton Inn Oneonta
#1 of 9 in Oneonta

Been to Brookside Inn at Laurens? Share your experiences!