“Quaint Scenic Area”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leeds
Carl's Rip Van Winkle Motor Lodge
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed in "Do Rest" cabin near the back of the property. In fact, this is the second time we have stayed there. It's 2 bedrooms, living area with kitchen, bath. Very "mountainy" with a true log cabin, Early American theme. Super clean and stocked with full size fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker, etc. My only complaint would be that there was not dish detergent on hand--not too convenient to have to buy a full bottle to wash a few glasses or plates. We were there at the end of season (Oct) and it was very quiet and restful. Even tho the NY thruway is near by, you can't hear a thing. 4 nice chairs on the porch for reading or daydreaming. The owners are very nice and we hope they stay in business a long, long time as this is our favorite place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: Cabins in the back are quiet with lots of trees around them.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank linnalu

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed in Cliffside cabin, mattress dipped so badly toward middle that we felt we were on a slope all night. Don't go to Rip Van Winkle Motor Lodge if you want to sleep .Also, you can only get ice when the office is open with the grumpy old man.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ldherm
Reviewed 15 August 2013

There aren't a lot of options on this side of the river. These cabins are clean, comfortable and generally quiet (I happened to be there on a weekend with a family reunion - who were extremely noisy outside each evening - but I understand this is the exception not the rule). The cost is reasonable. This is MUCH BETTER than staying in overpriced Hudson B&Bs. I've done many of them, and for the money, they are no better than the Rip Van Winkle Motor Lodge (is it really worth paying double in Hudson just for breakfast?!). The front desk staff were very kind, courteous...the Owner's grandson even helped with my bags to my room. What a remarkable young man (every teen should take a page out of young Robert's book). Free WiFi, too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HedgeFundGirl
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Always stay in one of their cabins. No frills, but quiet, clean and comfortable. If you are looking for a great get away with family or just a romantic weekend, this is the place. Grandson lives in Hudson, NY and this is much cheaper than a B&B there. Cabin this time had refrig and micro wave. Great coffee at office. Wonderful family owned business. They are happy to accommodate. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Scudge
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Went to Carl's Rip Van Winkle Lodge for the Memorial Day Weekend. Lovely surroundings but, unfortunately, bare bones accommodations. This was a family gathering and we were surprised of the total lack of amenities. This was a cabin in the woods but we expected more than a single bar of soap. No fridge, no tissues, no extra toilet paper, let alone a hair dryer. If you go, bring your own supplies and don't expect much. Unfortunately, in Catskill, NY there aren't many choices.

Room Tip: Choose a motel room and not a cabin
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane A
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Right before Storm Sandy hit one of the last weekends that were nice in October we went up to Leeds and stayed at the Rip Van Winkle. As a kid I used to come up here with my family and then as my kids were little we used to come up and stay in the log cabins. This time we stayed in the motel rooms. They are not the most up-to-date but they are extremely clean and the shower worked fabulous. We only stayed for one night to get away and it is close enough to the Rip Van Winkle Bridge which we walked over and back. If you want a good breakfast you can go down the road to Bettys or there is a family restaurant (which for some reason I can't recall the name of it) but was rather good. Only down the road from the hotel. All in all I could see myself coming back in the future and I would love to stay in the cabins once again!

Room Tip: If you can stay in cabins! I loved this as a kid!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sheeba77
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed here twice this year....once to go to a family funeral and a separate time afterwards. Place is very very clean. Colonial decor needs some updating. Sister stayed in cabin in back and it was so so old and smelled sooooooooooooo musty...but clean.
One evening we came out to car and it was scratched...man who worked there told me without asking his opinion that it didn't happen here....HOW do you know that sir? I asked him kindly that if anyone comes into office to say if they heard anything about car getting bumped to please let me know. At check out I asked him if anyone contacted him about hitting our car, His response to me was," I have no idea what you're talking about?" Really??? Cause I just spoke to you about it less then 24 hours ago??!!!??? Very strange response. Recently when I stayed there, we went to the office to see if they had a first aid kit because our 70 year old Pops had fallen on rocks chasing our 20 month old nephew. He scraped his face. When we went into office to ask for band aids, Lady working there said very rudely that she couldn't help us and that basicly it was his own fault for climbing on rocks. Plain, old nasty people! On that note, I won't be staying here again until Hell freezes over.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in the "Faux" Log cabins or any cabin without bringing Lysol to spray...too mu...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Maggie M

Been to Carl's Rip Van Winkle Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!