“Best Avoided”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
Austin
“Best Avoided”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This Hotel has so many problems that I am amazed at how some customers can write positive reviews. I have posted several photos to show my fellow travelers what I experienced in room 226.

First the positives: The location is really good. The hotel sits one block from the Niagara River and is a pleasant ten-minute walk to Lewiston’s historic downtown area. The staff is generally polite, courteous, and eager to please. The complimentary continental breakfast was good and offered coffee, orange juice, cereals, toast, butter, jellies, croissants, and an egg wrapped in ham and bacon.

The room décor ranges from plain awful to non-existent. The main hallway and bathroom have no decorations whatsoever. Although, strangely enough, one hall did have an empty 3’x5’ picture frame hung on the stucco wall. Bathroom shelves were unlined and barren. The sleeping area had just three framed prints-all boring and nondescript. The curtains were of poor quality and held back by wall hooks that were falling off the walls. My desk chair had to be removed due to a lack of structural integrity.

Amenities were even more pathetic than the room decorations. There were no hangers, pen or paper, envelopes, room safe, bible, luggage rack, iron or ironing board. The front door didn’t even have a peep hole for security. The quality of the tissue and toilet paper was comparable to what you might find in a Charles Dickens’ orphanage. The bathroom offered only shampoo and bars of soap that were 2”x3”x ¼”. No conditioner. The fireplace is electronic. Please ask for instructions in order to operate the heating system.

I mention this last point more out of a concern for guest safety than inconvenience. It seems that a repeat guest was smoking in his room and set off the hotel fire alarm at 3:00 in the morning.
Every guest was subject to 20 minutes of a blaring fire alarm. We were disorientated and genuinely concerned for our safety. No fire trucks showed up. The front desk did not answer their phones. When pressed for information, the hotel said that they thought it was a smoker in one of the rooms but since the guest would not open the door they couldn’t be sure. Based on a hunch, the hotel made the decision to cancel the fire department or they did not bother to call them at all. This decision, in my opinion, verged on incompetence and illegal behavior which could have placed our health and safety in harm’s way.

Room Tip: Stay in Canada if you want a good hotel. The Lewiston Area offers little to no alternatives to medi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AustinGentleman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed the night, we got a wag jag deal. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised.. The hotel is not your every day hotel. It was nice looking around at all the old things they had on display. When we arrived they upgraded our room for free. We stayed in the freedom crossing retreat room and had a great view of the water. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms we very big and clean. We had dinner at the resturant there and the food was excellent. When we were eating our dinner the Dianne the proprietor approached us and gave us some information about the hotel and things to do around the town.. She made us feel very welcomed. It was also my bday and Dianne made sure I got a complementary dessert. I will decently be back to this hotel.. Great overall experience..

• Stayed March 2014
Ajax, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I purchased a Wagjag voucher for the Barton Hill Inn and Spa and what a pleasant surprise it was. The Inn is beautiful, situated on the Niagara River. We were upgraded to a King River view room on the 4th floor and weren't disappointed. The view from our windows was spectacular as was the room itself. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was the largest we have ever had in a hotel. The floors of our room were incredible, wide planks of beautiful wood.

We took full advantage of what the Inn had to offer. We had dinner in the 2nd floor restaurant which was surprisingly good. The menu is not extensive however it provided the right amount of choice. My husband started with the pork belly sliders then followed that with the biggest steak I have ever seen. Portions are very generous so if eating at the Inn come hungry.

The onsite SPA provides extensive treatments...book early as appointments were hard to get, My husband had a massage on our 2nd day and said it was one of the best he has ever had.

I would highly recommend a stay at this charming establishment!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 418
Woodbridge, Ontario
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My husband and I booked a special thru travelzoo for $99. We got a great deal! This place was wonderful! Its a very special place.

We arrived on Thursday afternoon, there was really no signage for the parking, but the girl at the desk in the lobby was quite helpful. They had upgraded us to the Spring Lake Room - although it did not overlook the river - it was beautiful. Very spacious, bathroom was huge, linens were very good quality!

We had dinner at the hotels restaurant that night - which is a little odd, because it is basically the second floor? No real entrance.....but the server was so pleasant, the food was quite good for the price. This is the same place we had breakfast the next morning, the breakfast was small, but it filled us up until lunch.

I wish we would have booked two nights as it was so nice and relaxing there. We did not have a chance to use the spa.

It seems like the owners are still working on this property - you could see some of the doors for rooms open with construction going on. I would guess it is very expensive for them to try to build the hotel as they want it. This is not a chain hotel, it is very unique - and I would assume a labour of love. I really hope that this hotel is a great success. Lewiston looks lovely and we would love to come back an visit in the summer time! Thank you for a lovely stay!

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Barton on a wagjag jaunt so the value was outsatnding! Decent hotel, large rooms, gorgeous location and excellent staff. We were here for two nights and dined in house on the first night. The restaurant was quiet and relaxing with perfect lighting and attentive service. Salmon is the choice to go with here, my wife said it was the best shes ever had. I ordered steak and it was average. The second night we walked a few short minutes to thhe brickyard and enjoyed pub food, beer and watched womens olympic hockey on Tv. Lots of eating options in the area. Back to the Barton, I will say that the rooms are huge, decorated for the period and if you have a riverview room-the view is wonderful. Overlooks the niagara river. I was disappointed to find out that although advertised as being the "grounds" of an historic mansion with an amazing history, the hotel itself is only 8 years old and already in need of some repairs, the "Mansion" is up the hill on the same road and is not accessible as it is a private home. This took away from the experience for me as I am interested in military history of the area. This is not a chain hotel so don't expect cookie cutter rooms and amenities. Some rooms have lumber floors, some carpeted but all are huge and comfortable. We did find that the walls are very thin and we could hear conversations and tV from the room above us and requested a move to the fourth floor which was cheerfully and Quickly accommodated. Definitely request the fourth floor here because for all the effort to make this hotel look and feel authentic and old, you would expect a better effort in keeping the rooms sound insulated? Overall I would recommend this hotel for its value and location and service which was exceptional! A young man named Alex manned the front Desk during our visit and he is an excellent ambassador for the hotel and area, very knowledgeable and went literally out of his way to make sure our stay was comfortable and enjoyable! He knows the area and will help you find everything you need! Over all we enjoyed our stay at the Barton and rate it a 4 out of 5.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank kmoharley
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

2 night stay arriving Feb. 15, 2014. Hotel very nice. Beautiful and comforting lobby. Room equally as comforting. Staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly. Breakfasts and Dinners in the hotel came with fantastic food, choices and service. All round excellent stay. Will return. James. Hamilton, Ontario

Stayed February 2014
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Great little boutique hotel in close vicinity to the shops and restaurants in the pretty town of Lewiston. We loved getting the free upgrade to a riverview room. Each room has a unique name and ours had a four post bed and a fireplace inside.

The hotel is a perfect place for a little shopping getaway, to hold a small wedding, or even a weekend with friends.

The small breakfast with the booking was great...simple but delicious....bacon wrapped eggs, scones, coffee and juice.

Great rates in the winter when its not so busy in Lewiston, but cozy and comfy for those winter months. We'll definitely be back and even pay a little extra to check it out in warmer months!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
South Landing Inn
South Landing Inn
#1 of 1 in Queenston
Sheraton At The Falls
Sheraton At The Falls
#5 of 51 in Niagara Falls
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#9 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
River Rapids Inn
River Rapids Inn
#35 of 128 in Niagara Falls
Ramada Niagara Falls by the River
Queen's Landing
Queen's Landing
#5 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!