“Wonderful Escape”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
Oakville, Canada
“Wonderful Escape”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have to say, I absolutely love Barton Hill Hotel and Spa. A worthwile drive from Canada as an alternative to Niagara on the Lake. I first discovered this hidden gem through Groupon a few years ago. Since then, I have become a frequent guest of the hotel - often planning two day getaways every couple of months. I have always had a wonderful experience. On occasion I have had to request additional towels, or I have asked for assistance with temperature control, but the staff at Barton Hill have always been eager to make my stays comfortable and have done so with a smile and professionalism. The continental breakfast is fantastic and includes some delicious hot options, including chocolate filled pastry, a lovely egg and bacon quiche cup and scones to die for. There is also a wide selection of cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt and juice. Not to mention wonderful hot coffee and an array of specialty teas. The lobby is welcoming and has the feel of a southern plantation home. The furniture about the lobby is placed in such a way that guests are able to select a seating area that is either conducive to private conversation by the fire, a more social area for a game of chess, simply reading a magazine or enjoying a coffee while taking in the view from the large windows. The spa is a quiet sanctuary where you will be offered a cup of tea as you enjoy your treatment. While I have only had pedicures during my stays, the chairs are some of the most comfortable. They are not the traditional salon chairs, they are large lounge chairs with high backs and soft cushioning. The location is excellent. A short walk up the hill and you will find yourself wandering through a main street filled with unique coffee shops, bakeries, antique stores and a wide selection of restaurants. If you venture down to the lake you will find a small park filled with picnic tables and benches positioned to capture the best view. I highly recommend Barton Hill for a romantic getaway, spacation with girlfriends, quality family time or for some well-deserved alone time to unwind, relax and rejuvenate. Many thanks to the staff at Barton Hill for offering such a unique mini holiday option.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for extra towels, drinking glasses, or amenities - like pillows or shampo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Vineland, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Although there is a feel of faded grandeur with this hotel, I really enjoyed it and would go back. The location is wonderful and being upgraded to a river view room made it even better. The staff were friendly, the spa lovely and relaxing, the lobby elegant and the breakfast room attractive. The continental breakfast was tasty. I don't have any complaints, we got a great deal through WagJag so we feel the experience was just right.

Newmarket, ON
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I got this through Groupon and I did read many reviews prior to booking. Overall I felt the room was very clean and was all that we needed. Yes, I will agree that there were not a lot of "luxury" toiletries. But if you are only ther for a night or two,you will survive.
As we drove up, it was not well communicated as to where to park. The reception was very nice and our room was ready early. There were no noise issues in our room as some people have complained and we were on the second floor. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. We did not use our voucher for dinner but chose to go up the road to the Brickyard Pub. It was fantastic. The service was great as well as the outstanding smoked meats.
Breakfast the following morning was good, although they did seem to run out of products for people arriving after us
We would certainly return but maybe not In the winter. Would love to see this area in the springtime.

1 Thank Cheryl P
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The staff was basically non existent. I called down to the front desk at least 4 times of approximately 15 rings each to noone answering. We had trouble with the firep[lace remote and the heat finally someone came up. This was a travelzoo pkg and I expect they need the business as there were very few people staying there. I almost cancelled when I did book a few weeks earlier as the girl on the phone was incredibly rude and condescending. . We were celebrating an anniversary and were not given an upgrade .I feel the $99 was enough to spend . I would have been outraged if it was the full amount. The entire hotel was cold . My husband and I were both sick after. The meal upstairs was fair. The chair in our room had ink marks all over it. Some replacements need to be done for sure,
Not worth a repeat visit.

2 Thank dissatisfied96
Austin
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This Hotel has so many problems that I am amazed at how some customers can write positive reviews. I have posted several photos to show my fellow travelers what I experienced in room 226.

First the positives: The location is really good. The hotel sits one block from the Niagara River and is a pleasant ten-minute walk to Lewiston’s historic downtown area. The staff is generally polite, courteous, and eager to please. The complimentary continental breakfast was good and offered coffee, orange juice, cereals, toast, butter, jellies, croissants, and an egg wrapped in ham and bacon.

The room décor ranges from plain awful to non-existent. The main hallway and bathroom have no decorations whatsoever. Although, strangely enough, one hall did have an empty 3’x5’ picture frame hung on the stucco wall. Bathroom shelves were unlined and barren. The sleeping area had just three framed prints-all boring and nondescript. The curtains were of poor quality and held back by wall hooks that were falling off the walls. My desk chair had to be removed due to a lack of structural integrity.

Amenities were even more pathetic than the room decorations. There were no hangers, pen or paper, envelopes, room safe, bible, luggage rack, iron or ironing board. The front door didn’t even have a peep hole for security. The quality of the tissue and toilet paper was comparable to what you might find in a Charles Dickens’ orphanage. The bathroom offered only shampoo and bars of soap that were 2”x3”x ¼”. No conditioner. The fireplace is electronic. Please ask for instructions in order to operate the heating system.

I mention this last point more out of a concern for guest safety than inconvenience. It seems that a repeat guest was smoking in his room and set off the hotel fire alarm at 3:00 in the morning.
Every guest was subject to 20 minutes of a blaring fire alarm. We were disorientated and genuinely concerned for our safety. No fire trucks showed up. The front desk did not answer their phones. When pressed for information, the hotel said that they thought it was a smoker in one of the rooms but since the guest would not open the door they couldn’t be sure. Based on a hunch, the hotel made the decision to cancel the fire department or they did not bother to call them at all. This decision, in my opinion, verged on incompetence and illegal behavior which could have placed our health and safety in harm’s way.

Room Tip: Stay in Canada if you want a good hotel. The Lewiston Area offers little to no alternatives to medi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AustinGentleman
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed the night, we got a wag jag deal. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised.. The hotel is not your every day hotel. It was nice looking around at all the old things they had on display. When we arrived they upgraded our room for free. We stayed in the freedom crossing retreat room and had a great view of the water. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms we very big and clean. We had dinner at the resturant there and the food was excellent. When we were eating our dinner the Dianne the proprietor approached us and gave us some information about the hotel and things to do around the town.. She made us feel very welcomed. It was also my bday and Dianne made sure I got a complementary dessert. I will decently be back to this hotel.. Great overall experience..

• Stayed March 2014
Ajax, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I purchased a Wagjag voucher for the Barton Hill Inn and Spa and what a pleasant surprise it was. The Inn is beautiful, situated on the Niagara River. We were upgraded to a King River view room on the 4th floor and weren't disappointed. The view from our windows was spectacular as was the room itself. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was the largest we have ever had in a hotel. The floors of our room were incredible, wide planks of beautiful wood.

We took full advantage of what the Inn had to offer. We had dinner in the 2nd floor restaurant which was surprisingly good. The menu is not extensive however it provided the right amount of choice. My husband started with the pork belly sliders then followed that with the biggest steak I have ever seen. Portions are very generous so if eating at the Inn come hungry.

The onsite SPA provides extensive treatments...book early as appointments were hard to get, My husband had a massage on our 2nd day and said it was one of the best he has ever had.

I would highly recommend a stay at this charming establishment!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 418
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
South Landing Inn
South Landing Inn
#1 of 1 in Queenston
Sheraton At The Falls
Sheraton At The Falls
#4 of 51 in Niagara Falls
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#9 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
River Rapids Inn
River Rapids Inn
#35 of 128 in Niagara Falls
Ramada Niagara Falls by the River
Queen's Landing
Queen's Landing
#4 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!