“Charming property in charming Village of Lewiston”

Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lewiston
Toronto, Canada
“Charming property in charming Village of Lewiston”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Amidst commercial big chain hotels sits this lovely gem in Lewiston. Lewiston is away from the hustle bustle of Niagara Falls. The hotel has a fabulous location on the Niagara River without the big price tag. This is the most charming property you will find in the area.
The rooms are lovely with fireplace and outstanding views of the river. Nice furnishings.
Ask for a water view room on the 4th floor.
It's a little lack lustre and needs some TLC but all in all a nice property. Don't look for high end amenities in the bathroom as they are very basic.
Staff are good. The continental breakfast is included and is basic but good.
We didn't eat in the dining room because it got bad reviews but had a drink on the terrace.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor (4) river view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I just stayed at the Barton Hill Hotel for his birthday. The location was great! We loved overlooking the river both in our room and when we ate at the hotel restaurant. There was a lot of activity going on just across the street at these two bar/restaurants that overlooked the water. We walked over there to try one out and the view was great!

Food at the Barton's restaurant was good and not too expensive (we did have a small Groupon credit). Next time, I would also try eating at the Brickyard BBQ, which is just a few blocks up the hill. We went there for drinks after dinner and their food smelled so good!

We also enjoyed a couples massage in the spa. The massage was really great, but I'm pretty sure they went about 10 minutes short of our time, and the massages were pretty expensive. It was a great treat though.

Overall, I was very pleased with the Barton Hill Hotel and would stay there again.

2 Thank Lauri B
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a really nice hotel if you are looking for something different with a great location. It is not high end with a million amenities. What it is - great location, super owners, comfortable and original rooms (nice fireplace) and a unique experience. You are walking distance to shops and restaurants. If interested in adventure - you are also walking distance to the Whirlpool Jet boats.

Try this place - you will like it! Quiet and relaxing and a great location!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water when making your reservation.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I use a scooter for mobility, so we were very pleased to find this charming hotel that was accessible for my needs. My husband and I stayed here for a few days to do some state-side shopping. Although there is no designated accessible parking, they told us we could park right up by the building, which was great.

The staff all seemed very friendly, yet I think they were understaffed during the evenings when we were there. I felt badly for the young guy who was working by himself - he was SO busy!

The room we stayed in was extremely spacious - no problem at all for me to use my scooter in. I didn't require a roll-in shower, so we didn't have that, but I believe that is an option. There are ramps and elevators that allow access to everything easily.

The included breakfast was fine - nothing too elaborate, but a nice variety of mainly cold items (oranges, cereals, yogurt, pastries) and a couple of warm items (toast, eggs). I'm sure that when the weather is nice and warm it would be lovely to have breakfast out on the balcony! We ate dinner in their restaurant one evening and it was very good. Although my fish was a little overcooked, everything was very tasty and nicely presented.

This hotel is clean, has comfortable beds and is in a nice location. I would be happy to stay here again. It was definitely a good deal with the groupon voucher that we purchased!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2014

very nice hotel, great location , able to walk to many nice places for food , drinks and entertainment. Room was awesome , great view. Tried to make an appointment for spa but was booked for time needed. Nice breakfast included in price on 2nd floor with patio and great view. Only draw back no where within walking distance to get some snacks for the room , car was valet parked under ground didn't want to get it out to just go to store. No vending machines in hotel even to get bottled water and no bottled in the room. When I called done to the desk to see where I can get water they said the bar, when I asked is it bottled they said tap water ,,,,,maybe they didn't realize I had running water in my room....lol minus that I would highly recommend this Hotel!!!!

Room Tip: bring snacks and bottled water!!!!!
Tiny, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

If we had read the previous Trip Advisor reviews we would never have stayed here. Our experience, however, was very good. We were impressed with the building as we approached, loved the proximity and view to the river, felt welcomed by the adorable young man at the reception desk and loved our well appointed room (sans view but what the heck). The complimentary breakfast that we enjoyed in the morning was great - not the usual chain hotel fare but a delicious egg thingy and fresh flaky pastries. Lewiston, NY is such a lovely location to visit and Barton Hill is a lovely place to stay. Having said that be aware that it is a Grand Old Lady and you will hear the people moving about on the floor above you. As long as they weren't doing the tango at 6 a.m. it was manageable for us. They tried to relocate us but alas! There are four floors so choose the top floor if possible. One word to the assertive young woman at the reception desk when we checked out. We appreciated that you kept your attention on us in spite of the phone calls coming in but if I had been on the other end of that phone conversation I would have hung up and taken my business elsewhere. There must have been a way to accomplish both attending to us while also keeping the person on the phone satisfied and willing to wait a moment. We were appalled at how she handled that phone call.

Room Tip: Top floor means no one above you to disturb your rest.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The lobby looks nice. The check in staff was dreadful, rude, and insulting frankly. They do not secure customer data and want to write your credit card number down on paper...which sits out at the desk which was unmanned at least four times today alone when we walked by. No thank you. It's 2014 the reason given my the clerk was ridiculous "I could hack a computer in five minutes, your info is safer on this paper" um. Nope. And the view of the escarpment is a nice was to say you're at the back and see nothing but a wall with weeds. The bathroom has nice tile but its poorly laid and a major tripping hazard. The night staff was way nicer than the ones at check in. Overall the area is lovely.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
South Landing Inn
River Rapids Inn
#37 of 128 in Niagara Falls
Ramada Niagara Falls by the River
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#9 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Queen's Landing
Queen's Landing
#5 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Been to Niagara Crossing Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!