“Great place with a relaxing environment” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lazy Pond Bed & Breakfast/Hotel/Inn

Lazy Pond Bed & Breakfast/Hotel/Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Liberty B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
“Great place with a relaxing environment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for round-the-clock pampering & service, maybe this is not your place. But, the staff is friendly, and the place is peaceful and relaxing. Rooms are clean, and the breakfast is great. Head and shoulders above anything else in the Liberty NY area. We go every year, as our kids are in a performing arts camp in the summer nearby. There's really no better place to stay.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Roy L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
NY, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed at the Lazy Pond ahead of a meeting I had in Liberty. Liberty itself doesn't seem like a great town, and I believe other posters' claims that it's hard to find any place to stay in town.

The grounds are very nice, but it would be great if the innkeepers put as much attention into their reception and rest of the building.

When I arrived, I couldn't find anyone to let me in. A couple of other guests told me that I was expected, but didn't know where the owner had gone. I called the phone and got the voicemail. Greeeat. The other guests suggested that I drive to the other building. Just as I was pulling out. The owner was apologetic, but, it set the tone. It was informal bordering on neglectful.

The owner pointed out the room to me, and while I stumbled up the steep stairs with my luggage she said, "Oh, maybe I should have offered to help you." Yeah, maybe.

She then disappeared. Before I could ask about the wireless password (signal is spotty,) or get a dinner recommendation. There was a stuffed, broken binder filled with disorganized selection of menus. I didn't see the owner again untill breakfast.

My room was okaaay. I stayed on the second floor of the main house. There were two screened porches, one had a bed on it. The main part of the room had a cell-like feel to it, with a low ceiling and plain walls. When I walked into the room it smelled stale and stuffy. I opened all the windows on the porches, and tried using the fan, which only pointed straight up. Thank goodness it was cool enough so that i didnt have to rely on the AC window unit.

I slept on the screened in porch, which was lovely untill the owner started up his tractor across from me at 7:15am. Couldn't he have waited until at least 9?

The room was clean, but the overall lack of attention to amenities and service really detracts. There were only six people staying there when I was there, myself and a family of five, and the service seemed like an afterthought. I don't know how they deal when the place is full.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank HudsonValleyFan
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

This B&B is a real mixed bag of good and bad. The good: very clean, great breakfast with a lovely, open porch on which to eat and beautiful grounds with deer romping nearby. The bad: poor management, misleading advertisement, over-priced, inadequate accommodations. Beware if you are assigned one of the rooms at the back of the property (Rooms # 22-24, maybe more). These are about 12' square with 7' ceilings giving them a cell-like feeling. In this room were 2 large beds taking up about 80% of the floor space. There was no real door, only sliding glass doors and since one bed overlapped the door, you could not roll your luggage in. The woodwork was unpainted, the TV was a 17" monitor stuck to the wall. The a/c was very noisy and one of the beds was right up against it. The hot water was elusive and water pressure was weak. All this for $200/night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank E K
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Lazy Pond B&B's best feature is the beatifully manicured property and main house, "The West Wing". Our room, #9, bungalow style separate buiding, was a sparsely decorated and furnished room; two full/queen beds, A/C, Cable TV, large bath with shower only; Immaculately clean. It was comfortable for basic needs but did not provide the niceties or conveniences of other B&B's I have stayed with. The accomodation offered no refrigerator, ice bucket, glassware, toiletries other than small bars of soap. No frills, just a bed and breakfast. The hostess was lovely and hospitable. Breakfast at the main house was well prepared and presented. The cost of our room was pricey ($226/night) but with few local options, the visitor has no choice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I have never written an online review before but felt compelled to for the Lazy Pond Bed & Breakfast. The website says that "In Rooms: refrigerator, internet service, ceiling fans, hot tub/whirlpool tub, ...." I had to request a refrigerator. There is only internet service in the main house, not many of the accomodations. There was no ceiling fan in my room, and no tub at all, just a shower. The TV (maybe 12"?, very small) in my friend's room did not work. I requested a king size bed and a fridge. I received a room with the fridge, but just a full size bed. I asked about my king size bed that she had told me I'd have when I made the reservation, and she said the only room with one available did not have a fridge. I offered to carry over the fridge from the first room, and she told me no that was not allowed. I then suggested that I move the full size bed against the wall (so that my one year old son did not fall out on to the floor), and she would not let me do that either. Instead, she acted like I should be incredibly thankful that she had "upgraded me" to a sort of cabin rather than just the room I had requested. But the "cabin" had stairs in it, again a danger for my son, and I was never given a choice. The room was incredibly hot as well, and the small, loud air conditioning unit was not strong enough to cool the whole room off.

Finally, when it was time to leave, I asked if I had the BOCES rate that I should have had (as I was running a workshop for the nearby BOCES). She said that the BOCES rate was $100 per night, but because I asked for a room with the king size bed/fridge (which I did not get and would have preferred), I was charged $200 per night. Insane.

The grounds were very nice, and the main house was very attractive, though breakfast didn't start until after 8am, so I never got any.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank MaAllison
Somerville, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

I stay at Lazy Pond when headed to the Catskills to visit family. Location is perfect because it's away from the not-so-nice parts of Liberty, and still easy to get to shopping, highway, and "things to see" in the area. Jean and her family always take great care of me, I enjoy their relaxed, laid-back hospitality. No muss, no fuss, and I still get my needs met. This is the best place to stay in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

There really are a paucity of decent places to stay in the Catskills, so when we looked online and found this, we thought we were in luck. We were wrong. The room was large, but old fashioned -- it sported the smallest TV I have ever seen paired with two Queen beds. We arrived at 9pm, walked into a building we thought was an office, and found a phone with a cell number beside it. We called. She was expecting us and said that our room was right there next to the phone -- in fact, she could see us. She ended the conversation by saying we should go out by the flagpole in the morning for breakfast. It was all very confusing, but we did as we were told. Perhaps if the innkeeper had actually taken the time to check us in, we would not have been as dissatisfied. The breakfast in the morning was actually fine and the grounds were OK, although we never found the hot tub. But nothing will ever erase the memory of the giant ants that crawled around the bathroom overnight, the two exterminator trucks we saw in the driveway in the morning and the lack of adequate blinds to shield the light from shining in through the window onto the aquarium that contained cheap statues and no fish! All this for $180 per night plus tax -- in the middle of nowhere. What a rip-off!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bonnie C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liberty
BEST WESTERN Monticello
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center
Inn at Lake Joseph
Inn at Lake Joseph
#1 of 2 in Forestburgh

Been to Lazy Pond Bed & Breakfast/Hotel/Inn? Share your experiences!