“Pros and Cons of Maplewood Hotel”
Review of Maplewood Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lily Dale
Maplewood Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lily Dale
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Pros: This hotel has a historic feel, the front desk staff were as nice as can be, the porch seems to be a great gathering spot, and its in a perfect locations. Overall the hotel had a peacful feel not a "haunted feel" at all.

Cons: There is NOT an elevator, TV, AC, or WIFI. The beds were uncomfortable and we didnt have a bathroom! I would not recommend the hotel to anyone who has small children.

Tips: Put a deposit on a $5 fan, bring a sound machine, bottled water, snacks, your own pillow and blanket, and flip flops for the shared shower. The fan and sound machine will drown out noise as you can really hear everything going on in the room next to you. You may even want an extension cord because we only had one outlet. There is not a workout room but the lake outside Lily Dale makes for a beautiful morning run or walk.

Room Tip: Book early so you can get a room with a bathroom and on the second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank BrianneB3

Reviewed 29 August 2013

When I told people I was going to Lily Dale for the first time, some of them said I should stay at the Maplewood for the experience of it and that they had stayed there one time. It's like an inside joke or a right of passage for people who have gone there to trick the newbies into staying there. While the staff was delightful and thoroughly helpful, there's been little cleaning or renovation done since 1878 when it was built. The private bathroom had only one fixture in it - the toilet, which was at an angle facing a side wall. The tiny, tiny sink was at the foot of one of the twin beds, which made it impossible to walk around if someone was washing their hands or brushing their teeth. The plastic shower was actually installed inside a clothes closet and was so small, it would take a trained contortionist to turn around in it. The lampshade was old and broken and the dresser was so dirty I couldn't put my clothes in it. There was a communal refrigerator on the first floor where people wrote their names on their bottles of water or leftover food. I put a deposit down on a fan for the room so we could have some air circulation. The hotel itself is like a museum. While interesting and lovely to behold, it was not a comfortable place to stay. The Maplewood has only two things it has going for it: 1) it is in the center of what is going on at Lily Dale and 2) it is reasonably priced compared to the chains in the nearby towns that gouge people in the summer who want to go to Lily Dale.

Room Tip: Find a bed and breakfast in Lily Dale.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Suzannergy
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I have been going to Lilly Dale for over twenty years now. I have gone solo, with friends and as a couple. Most of my stays have been at the Maplewood because I enjoy the fact that it has been kept as original as possible. This in itself is a truly magical journey back in time! I bring my own pillow and a box fan and sleep very well. The staff have always been friendly and accommodating . The wrap -around porch is a wonderful place to meet people from all over the Country and a nice spot to stop and rest during a busy day of walking. If you want to experience "what it was like" as nearly as possible....stay at the Maplewood. This large old hotel filled with antiques and memories of the past will delight you!! ; ) Submitted by Patti Smith DiCicco.

Room Tip: Ask questions and let the staff know what you would like. Also book early if you have preferences.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank luvs2travel444
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Was visiting Lily Dale Assembly for a few days and stayed here. It was clean, staff was nice and the area was peaceful. Wear comfortable walking shoes, a must. No tv, phone, elevators or air conditioning, but I was there to rest so it was fine with me. Had a room with private shower, most people had to share. I saw the shared restrooms and they were also clean and private. The hotel is centrally located, so I would recommend it. Would choose it again.

Room Tip: Not fancy, but book as soon as they begin taking reservations. This place sells out fast.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Annalisa R
Reviewed 8 May 2013

If you like serenity, this is your place. I love the old fashioned "key" to the room. They keep them in cubby holes behind the front desk like something you would see at Pettycoat Junction. Lily Dale in itself is a stress reliever. This hotel is right next to the lake and our room overlooked it. The best part is sitting on the porch in the rocking chairs, just relaxing, doing nothing.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank DD1745
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I read the reviews of the Maplewood Hotel here before I went with my daughter this past weekend, and based on what I read, came armed with Clorox cleaner and Febreze! Happily, I needed neither. Granted, this hotel is NOT brimming with ameneties. However, it truly is a piece of the complete Lily Dale experience. Our room was clean, fresh flowers in a vase waiting for us, and a great view. The hotel itself is quaint - no key cards here, old fashioned keys that are housed behind the desk in cubby holes! The staff was friendly and so helpful. One note, though, if you are staying in Lily Dale - after 6p at night, there is NOWHERE on the premises that you can get food - everything is closed. We ended up ordering pizza from a local place that delivered right to the hotel! I highly recommend a cup of Dirty Chai from the coffee shop across from the hotel as well! We will be back next summer to visit Spirit again in this beautiful little gem.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank BetsyF64
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We have stayed in Lily Dale before and all the other places were great. The Maplewood was just gross. I understand that it is old, but that shouldn't mean dirty. We stayed in room #27 and the room literally made me sick. Due to the mold, mildew, and dust, my allergies and asthma flared up almost immediately and I stayed that way for 3 days. Stains on the walls and floors, filthy carpets, pillows as old as the hotel, a hole in the wall... you get the idea! When we inquired about a different room, they said they were full and that we "unfortunately" were in one of the rooms that hadn't been upgraded. This room should not be rented to anyone until it is heavily cleaned and the fixtured are replaces. Lily Dale is wonderful experience, but do not let this hotel ruin your trip!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Natalie T

Been to Maplewood Hotel? Share your experiences!