“Poorly Maintained Room”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Maplewood Hotel

Maplewood Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lily Dale
Maplewood Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lily Dale
San Francisco
“Poorly Maintained Room”
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We made a reservation at this hotel with no high expectations of a 19th century structure. In fact we were looking forward to experiencing some old world charm. Upon checking in we found the room was not equipped with the number of beds we needed which was fine, a roll away cot was brought up right away. We were all in desperate need of a nap but couldn't immediately settle in because the room was disgustingly dirty and the window seemed nailed shut. The room was furnished with antiques which were covered in thick layers of dust and dust bunnies. The bathroom which still had its original fixtures was something out of a horror movie. We are aware that rust stains can be very difficult to remove and doesn't necessarily equate to being unsanitary but upon seeing fresh urine stains on the toilet seat it make us recoil. There was only a soaking tub but by then we had a serious aversion to using it. It was too Silence of the Lambs.

We were determined to make do with the accommodations up until we woke up from our two hour nap. One of us had a bite on her arm and to my horror, an engorged bed bug was crawling on my pillow. I immediately killed it between my thumbnails. This was the last straw and we hauled out of there. We let it be known to the young man at the front desk though he clearly thought we were making it up. He said we won't be charged for the balance we paid upfront but will have to speak to the manager regarding getting our deposit back. We returned the next morning to speak to her but I did was not able to get a word in at all. She had already made up her mind about us. She said there has been no complaints before, their mattresses are covered with plastic and the young man checked our bites and saw none. He didn't ask to inspect anything. Plus plastic or no plastic, bedbugs also live in floorboards and behind walls. Our room has two large cracks in the walls where these critters could very well live. We were asked whether we had proof of the offending insect which of course we didn't have since it was a nymph which ceased to look anything resembling an insect after I had squashed it. So note to self: if you see a bedbug, do not freak out and kill it. Store it in a jar which I will henceforth always carry with me in case of bed bug dispute.

I would recommend staying in the guest homes instead or 7 miles away in the chain motels. After Maplewood, they all seem 5 star.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
19 Thank Georgetrotter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I spent 10 days there this summer. It was my first time and I loved it. It was quiet and peaceful and the lake was beautiful. I loved the cool rainy weather and the interesting people I met on the porch of the Maplewood Hotel where I stayed. The hotel is old and not very luxe but was clean and the price was right and the front desk people were friendly and helpful. I am planning another trip in September. The streets were muddy so I'd bring better shoes next time.

6 Thank Lisa90274
Toronto
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We stayed at the Maplewood Hotel in July 2009 for 2 nights. I was initially surprised at what great value it was when I booked it but upon arrival I realized that it wasn't worth the low price it demanded ($69 per night for double). We stayed in Rooms 2 and 45 both had ensuite bath, one was a twin with a bath and one was a double with a shower. The problem with the hotel started at check in. The person at check in was involved in a prolonged telephone call that seemed to take all his attention. We waited for at least 5 - 10 minutes for him to finish. Then he refused to believe me that I had paid a 50% deposit and wanted to charge me the whole amount. Finally he agreed that we had paid the deposit and proceeded to check us in. He was never apologetic for his behaviour but I accept that not all hotels have great customer service. The rooms were appalling. Not dirty just bad and they only cleaned them when you checked out, there was no daily maid service. The walls of the hotel were paper thin so that you could hear everything, and I mean everything, that went on in the rooms surrounding you. In the middle of the night someone was throwing up for some time and I felt like it was in my room. Then the fire alarm went off for ages, which apparently happens all the time. Sleeplessness is a major factor at this hotel, for sure. Then, there are the rules and there are many of them. The shower was appalling and it took ages for the hot water and everything about the room was cruddy and poor. The 2nd night proved quieter except that everyone gathers on the front porch and talks and laughs until late so unless you are planning to participate, stay at the back of the hotel. Check out time is at 11 a.m. which isn't particularly convenient if you are taking a workshop that ends at 12:30 so make sure you pack up before your workshop. I have no intention of staying at this hotel in the future, even if it was $25 a night, it is no bargain. And, you don't need to stay at the hotel to partake in the wonderful conversations on the fantastick porch which is the best thing about this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

#3 of 4 in Dunkirk
The Spencer Hotel and Spa
The Spencer Hotel and Spa
#1 of 6 in Chautauqua

Been to Maplewood Hotel? Share your experiences!