“Not Impressed”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We tried The Kitchen at the recommendation of friends. They booked a reservation and we met at the restaurant, a party of six. My husband and I met the hostess in the doorway and let her know we were meeting the rest of our group and gave them the name the reservation was under. After waiting 15 minutes, I heard the distinct laugh of one of our friends. The rest of our party had been in the dining room the whole time. We all got a good laugh out of this, no harm. We were seated, the hostess didn't bother to apologize, but we didn't really mind. We ordered drinks and our waitress appeared soon after. I couldn't help but notice as I pulled off my jacket, that virtually everyone in the dining room had left their coat on. The room was absolutely frigid! There was one space heater in the room and it wasn't cutting it. Our waitress had no explanation for the lack of heat, but she did reposition the heater when another party left. We decided to carry on and we ordered. Two of the six of us had to change our selections because they had run out of our selection. I settled on an egg plant dish and my husband got a pasta dish. While we waited we enjoyed our conversation and a loud altercation between the hostess and the cook. The waitress, noting our discomfort made excuses for the feud, saying it was "normal". Normal? Soon after our salads arrived. The warm beet salad was very good and we were all looking forward to our entrees. That is where the pleasure ended. My eggplant tasted like a whole shaker of black pepper was dumped on it and my husband's pasta dish tasted like fish sauce and salt. To be fair, the pasta dish did have anchovies on it, however, the amount of salt added on top of the anchovies was almost lethal. Perhaps an error was made during the staff battle? We will never know. Other members of our party got the stew and said it was ok. No one finished their meal and none of us bothered to box it up. Between the cold, lack of professionalism and over seasoned food The Kitchen just doesn't cut it. Add the "fine dining" price tag to the experience and you feel, well, just plain cheated. We were really looking forward to another dining option close to home. Guess we will just have to keep looking.

There are newer reviews for The Kitchen at Iroquois Farm

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

As far as the kitchen goes I think they need to decide if they are a home town diner or a true culinary establishment. They appeal to north country folks in the huge quantity of food for a reasonable price. So they end up feeding the masses and miss out on a classy presentation. The atmosphere stunk, seating was confining, service was slow and lacked etiquette. Food flavors were all over the place. Liked the beet salad and meatballs the chicken fettuccine was like boiled chicken in noodles, rather tasteless. For me it truly didn't step up to the next level and is on par with most restaraunts in the area.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We know the place, since the building has change hands quite a few time over the years
We both took the Classic Breakfast which look very good on the plate, except it was COLD
and the toast had no butter on them, the bread was very good, we had to ask for salt and pepper , and than Butter an Jam which took time since our server was busy on the computer
the price of the coffee is a bit stiff . We think that all servers on that day needs more training and we also notice that other table as well had to ask for Salt and pepper , in fact one man went
himself to get them since the server was taking for ever to bring salt and pepper. We may decide to try them for dinner

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Our party of four had a great breakfast at The Kitchen. The French Toast and Steak & Eggs were outstanding. Our two orders of Eggs Benedict were just pretty good, not great. The Canadian Bacon was more like a boneless pork chop and the Hollandaise was a bit flat. Coffee was delicious and hot. We had a good view of the St. Lawrence River and service was prompt, courteous, and friendly. Of course, we will be going there again and will try lunch and dinner.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We arrived on a Saturday night for our 7pm reservation. The place was packed with no parking. We were promptly seated without a wait. Good food takes time to prepare and with a semi-long wait, we were served a great meal. There were a few items on the menu they were out of which was a little disappointing but the service made up for it and at the end of the evening, the chefs came out to visit and gave us dessert. I will come back for more.