“Ample portions of great tasting food, plus fun watching it prepared”

Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #19 of 118 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hibachi style Japanese steakhouse with sushi bar, full service bar, traditional cuisine and takeout menu available.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have eaten here many times over the past 30+ years, and have always been very satisfied with my meal at the hibachi table. Of the several restaurants in the Syracuse area that prepare food this way, this is the best.

The restaurant is kept spotlessly clean, and is nicely arranged and decorated. The prices, while on the high side, are fair given the quality of the food served. While I manage to finish my meal (can't help myself!) my wife almost always brings enough home for another generous serving.

I enjoy watching the preparation by the skilled chef at the hibachi table, and even though most of the "show" consists of standard tricks that I've seen many times before, it never loses its appeal. This is a place that kids might enjoy because they won't get bored waiting for the food to be served.

The ginger salad dressing is worthy of note, and it's a favorite of my wife's. I normally do not use any dressing on my salads but even I like this dressing.

Unless you plan to dine at an off-peak time, I recommend making a reservation. This restaurant does get very busy at the most popular dining times.

There are newer reviews for Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is the restaurant that got me hooked on Japanese food-- pork dumplings, AKA: "gyoza", especially-- several years ago when I came here for a birthday party. Ever since, it's been one of my favorite places to go for special occasions. Right when you walk in the door, you know you're in for a fabulous and unique meal: the decorations are beyond elegant, and even the reception area is breathtaking, with gorgeous lighting and plants, and even a waterfall-style wall. I finally made it back here tonight to have a special dinner with family and a close friend in honor of my graduation, and it was my best time here yet! Our hibachi chef was hilarious and his presentation was so much fun! He did a lot of awesome tricks for us. Our server was very friendly and professional. And the dinner was amazing, needless to say... I mean, hello, it's Ichiban! I had-- of course-- some gyoza as an appetizer. Delicious as always! Since my first trip here, I've had pork dumplings at gazillions of restaurants, but none of them beat Ichiban's gyoza. They're truly cooked to perfection. My entree was teriyaki filet mignon, and it was fabulous. And the fried rice I had with it was the best I've ever eaten. We all also got some delicious fresh veggies, and I got to try bean sprouts for the first time-- loved 'em! After the meal, we were brought a kettle of oolong tea and some mints, which was soothing after such a big dinner. And they even brought me a cute little cupcake in honor of my graduating! I thought that was really sweet of them! Ichiban is a stand-out restaurant; perfect for those who want to have a meal that's luxurious, but also incredibly fun as well.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our only problem with Ichiban in the past was the relatively high prices for sit-down hibachi-style dinners, but now they have introduced (slightly) smaller portion of the same great food at a considerably reduced price - on what they call the "kids menu." The portions are great for seniors - or those passing through.

If you haven't been to Ichiban because of the cost, try this new menu! There's still plenty to eat, and the food quality and friendly setting remains excellent! It's conveniently located on the north side of Old Liverpool Road between Buckley and Electronics Parkway.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have been coming here for 30 years, beginning with their old location down the street. Brought my two daughters, who are now in their late twenties for their school accomplishments, birthdays and other special occasions. This is their go to restaurant for a special time. I have never been disappointed here. I love their bar area, their sushi area and the staff. Everything I have ever had has been good. Presentation is good, food is good, staff is good, and the drinks are good! Especially love the sock it to me drink and the sift shell crab. If you want a nice night out I would be shocked if you were disappointed by coming here.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Consistent great food and good service keep us returning on a regular basis. Hibachi chefs are entertaining!