“Vast Improvement- one of the best in Syracuse area!”

Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool Airport Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 4 February 2010

I have been doing business in Syracuse for about 15 years, necessitating travel on an almost weekly basis. The Liverpool/Airport Holiday Inn is an excellent choice for the business or leisure traveler and here is why:
1. Old Bones! The building was built years ago, so you do not hear every creak or Snore from the person next door- excellent noise dampening in rooms (unlike those newer lower end and chain hotels).

2. Room Renovations! I stopped staying here during renovations and now I can say it was worth the wait. Flat screen TV's, New bedding, new towels, Nice carpets, and for the most part stable and fast FREE internet. Also the Cable channels are finally up to 21st century standards- they went from 34 channels to hundreds!

3. Lobby and restaurant renovations- warm wood paneling, a nice gas fire place in the lobby (key in Winter months). New carpeting and decor in the restaurant and lounge. Almost swanky, but not quite. I only eat breakfast, but it is always good, how can you mess up eggs and toast? And according to their labeling the cofee (which i find tasty, but not too strong) is Rainforest Certified-30% of the coffee meets standards, that help the environment.

4. The staff, particularly in the restaurant. The front desk is hit or miss. Some are very nice, some cold and indifferent. However the restaurant has great service, especially Mary a server. She is the tops! The rooms are always clean and I noticed the maid seem to really care about and takes pride in her job.

5. Conference facilities, Gym- they look nice, and this is set up as a major conference center for the SYracuse area, but I am a solo business traveler and cannot comment on it. I have not used the Gym/health club but they have one. The indoor pool looks forlorn, lost and almost abandoned- the only negative-but I have not used it. (this may change with the final stage of renovations.

IN SUM: A definite thumbs up and recommendation for this area, which is starving for decent hotels. I like the fact that it is out of the downtown area, but only 10 minute drive to anywhere downtown. Very close to the Carousel Center Mall (with multiplex cinemas). Quiet, Clean and updated -I would pick this over any other property in this area. (If you must stay downtown stay at the Renaissance or the Jefferson Clinton.)
Happy Travels!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 November 2009

Well, the exterior seemed nice and there was a large lobby but I was a bit disappointed in the size of the pub, especially considering the size of the hotel. I was in a room with two queen size beds and was shocked at the teeny tiny bathroom. Also, couldn't believe that breakfast was not included. Pool was fun for the kids at least. Staff was very friendly, Jose was the man behind the bar. Poor guy had to deal with quite the crowd. Fun was had by all. I could see that the rooms had been updated but the "restaurant" could be jazzed up a bit, seemed outdated. Had wanted to stay at another hotel but this was where everyone else in our group was staying. Wouldn't have been my first choice.

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Don't be fooled by the current 8/11 tripadvisor rating, as most reviews were from before the recent renovations. Stayed 4 nights for some Crunch/Orangemen games last week.

Pros: Conveniently located right off the I-90 and I-81. Downtown Syracuse and airport under 10 minutes away. Far off main road and not in flight paths, thus the rooms face minimal exterior noise. Warm and charming lobby area. Terrific, well-trained staff throughout the hotel go above and beyond and make one feel welcome. Clean, beautifully remodeled rooms with modern artwork and quality linens - this HI would rival most 4-star Sheraton properties in room attractiveness. Super-quiet and efficient A/C unit. ~60 channels on 32" flat plasma with several upper channels not on outdated listings guide. Pleasant 20-25 minute room service with modest prices (ex: large pizza with 4 toppings $10.95, wings $6.95, sampler $9.50...all very tasty, btw). Trendy little bar area off lobby. Two PCs with color printers in business center.

Cons: All minor. Beds are unlike most other HI offerings. These are softer and springier. Could be a plus or minus depending on your taste. I prefer a firm bed, which is more typical of the HI franchise. Ice machine on 5th floor non-working and leaking, though ones on other levels were efficient. Whirlpool closed for renovation; pool heaters broken (water felt a chilly 65 degrees). If the rest of the hotel serves as any indication, by 2010, it will be well worth it. Tight bathroom with odd 45-degree toilet configuration could use a night light.

Not sure if pro of a con: For a laugh, check out the bizarre vernacular littered throughout the in-service menus... "eggery," "Italian, of course," "beginnings" "kitchen sink" etc.

Tip: If you have an afternoon, I highly recommend the Rosamond Gifford Zoo situated 10 minutes south. Over 1,000 animals with large enclosures in a well-designed manageable space with gorgeous and tranquil surroundings. Relative to most zoos, one can get much closer to the animals, paricularly the lions and penguins, making for some great photos.

Overall, a terrific experience, miles better than the other listed 3-star Best Western down the road. When re-visiting Syracuse, I will be back at the HI Liverpool Exit 37.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2009

This hotel was just remodled and it is very nice. The rooms are very clean and modern. We had a nice convention there and all the personnell were very helpful and kept us well taken care of. The hotel restaurant was also remodled. The food was not as good as I would have expected and it was a bit expensive as well. I would stay there again though.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2009

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool. I wanted to take a few moments to comment on the experience I had while staying at this property. I first wanted to say that the hotel has undergone an amazing renovation. When I first arrived in the lobby area I couldnt believe that this was a Holiday Inn it is so upscale. The staff here was amazing they made us feel like family. The guest rooms were outstanding, with flat screen televisions I felt right at home. I know when people are reading these posts they are usually only reading the bad experiences that people had but that was not the case here. Our stay was amazing and we will be back here to stay soon!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2009

This hotel just went through a major renovation and it all turned out lovely. The rooms were very clean and fresh with new everything. The meeting rooms looked very nice as we walked around the building. The best part of the hotel was the fantastic service from the friendly staff. The whole stay was very pleasant. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2009

When traveling for the weekend with my family we booked a room without any knowledge of the ongoing asbestos removal going on at the hotel. Floors 1-6 would be undergoing the removal for months and neither the website nor the reservation desk had informed us of this! It was not until our arrival and the Health Department signs posted on every door as well as the entire lobby covered in tape and plastic did we find out about the construction/removal project! We promptly cancelled our reservation for a full refund (thankfully) and moved to another hotel nearby. Fortunately, the hotel granted a full refund.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liverpool
Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse North Airport Area
Staybridge Suites Syracuse/Liverpool
Maplewood Suites Extended Stay - Syracuse/Airport
Best Western Plus Liverpool-Syracuse Inn & Suites
Knights Inn Syracuse/Liverpool
Comfort Inn & Suites Syracuse Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!