“A Must See”

Lockport Cave and Underground Boat Ride
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Lockport
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This inexpensive, guided tour was awesome. Its something I've never seen before. Our tour guide was very informative and lasted 70mins. The boat ride at the end was fun, but short. You won't regret seeing this cave! It would be fun for all ages.

1  Thank Kim H
There are newer reviews for Lockport Cave and Underground Boat Ride

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a nice place to go and fill time during your vacation. Being from Illinois, this wouldn't be a primary destination for a vacation, but it was an interesting and educational stop. I was surprised to learn that my kids hadn't been taught anything in school about the Erie Canal.

The tour guide was very knowledgeable and entertaining about more than just the cave. He also gave some pretty decent history about the Erie Canal project.

The tours leave at :00 and at :30 of the hour so don't show up at 5 after because you will have to wait 30 minutes for your tour to start. We were in the last group of the day on a Monday and it was nice because it was just our group of 5 and another group of 4 so it was easy to hear the guide and interact with him. He said he occasionally has groups of up to 30 which I think would make the tour a whole lot less enjoyable.

Some reviews talk about all of the stairs. Not sure what they are talking about. I am 5'11" 250 lbs., definitely not in shape, and had no problem with the stairs so don't let that dissuade you.

I agree with other reviewers that the boat ride is kind of a pointless addition to the tour.

Overall, fun stop that kept the attention of our 8, 12, and 17 year old kids.

2  Thank ksgray68
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We were a bit confused when we booked - we thought we'd be riding ON the Eerie Canal, but the tour did not disappoint. It was informative, educational and not your usual cave tour. The price makes it affordable for families. Would definitely recommend. We were fortunate to catch a boat going through the canal locks just as we finished up. That was also fascinating to see the locks in action.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We went on a dreary morning and there were about 8 people in our tour group, as well as a knowledgeable guide. Starts with a walk down to the locks, then a walk along the mule path, guide threw interesting facts and historical info in all along. It was fascinating. Then you go up a wide pipe with stairs to the cave. It's pretty dark, but not scary. We walked along for some distance learning as we went. Then there is a short slow boat ride (nothing scary if you have little ones) that was fun. This tour would NOT be enjoyable for anyone with difficulties walking or seeing clearly. Lots of steps and dark areas. I highly recommend it to all others though! The tour took about an hour.

2  Thank Luckiestmomever
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I had spent the afternoon in Niagara Falls, ON and made the quick 45 minute drive to Lockport Cave. It was certainly worth it to make the short trip over to Lockport for this tour - it was great. I've said a million times before, that any cave is interesting to me. But this cave had the added novelty of being a Erie Canal history lesson and had a cool boat ride at the end. The tour was about an hour and half. From looking at reviews I knew that we should have a good time, but this tour completely exceeded our expectations.

1  Thank MapMakinMan