The Tides Motor Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Mansion at Glen Cove(Glen Cove)(Great Value!)
US$162
East Norwich Inn(East Norwich)
US$141
US$140
Hampton.com
US$111
US$108
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 March 2009

I ben going to the tides for two years now jsut to relax and get away from my family. its a quiet spot. Big property. The best location, next to the bayville adventure and across from the beach, and the busy bayville strip is in walking distance. The owner is very peaceful. The tides and the bayville adventure park work together, because you can go to the park and then sleep a night or to at this great hotel. The pool is great for the summer! 5/5

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank JoeyBeans
Reviewed 16 September 2008

They were extremely accomodating - and WHAT potential that property has! Right next to an amusement park, and across from a beach!!!! WOW! Room wasn't huge, but it was clean! Bathroom looked brand new, and the staff was GREAT... I felt like I was on vacation, and I live only 40 minutes away, in NYC!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2008

It had been 9 yrs since I last stayed at The Tides---what an improvement!! Fantastic renovations to the entire property.
The staff is very friendly and most accommodating and price---
well, ya can't beat it!!! Wake up, walk across the street to the beach,ck.and see if Cn. is still there, Stamford, Cn, to be exact.
It is nice to note that it is much clearer --the air, today than i the late 60's when seeing across the Sound was getting quite iffy, maybe 1 in 7-10 days as i recall. Within walking distance of The Tides, you have great restaurants both for casual or elegant, romantic dining.

I grew up in Glen Head and frankly, accommodations nearby have probably kept me from coming "home" more often. I left for Tx.
on a baseball scholarship many yrs ago and in fact, main purpose
of trip this time, was to go to Yankee stadium, one last time---Shea also. Two of my sons joined us, flying in from diff, parts of the cty.
so was important for me that we stay in area nearby where I grew up as I had many places to show them. Not trusting my eyes, frankly i spent first part of my stay elsewhere but personally ckd. out the Tides and realized I was paying 3-4 times more than I need be!!!

When I decided to stay a bit longer than I had planned, I moved over to The Tides as I had ckd with Jay re: vacancies and had they not been booked solid stg on the 4th, I may well still be at The Tides, was enjoying being back "home" and at The Tides that much. I found out in spkg with Jay that my last visit, 10/99 was the month, the new owners took over The Tides, so we both literally walked in together, no time to make changes.

As a former CEO and biz owner, I have stayed at Waldorf and other nice hotels in Ny on travel to Ny city but while traveling, I really want the basics, cleanliness, a good bed (I have very bad back--and slept well on new mattress!!) and TV etc, The Tides has it all and beach, rests and more as well.

No longer will accommodations be a concern in "coming home." In fact, already planning another trip for late summer or fall, so keep the light on Jay, I'll be seeing you again soon. I recommend the place highly for anyone traveling to Long Island or the city--great place to go relax in the most beautiful part of Long Island, the north shore. Nice folks too and that is very important to me---.
Marty Hansen--7/14/08

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 May 2008

If you are traveling with children, I would not recommend this. If you are not very discriminating and need an inexpensive place to stay, you might be interested.

One thing scared me big time as we were checking in:
In the office, there is a sign that says: "Refunds will not be given unless you have not used the room or used it for more than 10 minutes." This indicated to me that a lot of people turned down the room upon seeing it, or they have a lot of people wanting to use the room for <ahem> short periods of time!

The Pros:
1) This was the most affordable motel in the area, we were in for one day to attend a family member's wedding.
2) This motel is right in front of a pretty beach, which appears to have been a resort-ish area at one time, but which now seems pretty tired.
3) The staff was very kind.
4) The bathroom seemed remodeled, clean, and in pretty good condition.
5) There was really no noise from other patrons, no people loitering, and the neighborhood seemed safe

The cons:
1) The room was run down and not the cleanest. The pillows were flat and icky. The TV set was cracked and the remote did not work. The AC wall unit did not work. The management tells us they switched to one central AC unit for the whole motel, and half the building says it's too cold and half says it's too hot. Therefore, it was off on this particular night. The room was stuffy, and there was no air circulating at all. The sheets and blankets had cigarette burns in them. I was scared to sleep with the lights off because of bug issues, but honestly I didn't actually see any bugs.

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank Kramberry
Reviewed 30 May 2007

In 2002 I wanted to stay in Bayville with my wife and child. My Dad lived there for 35 years. We looked at several rooms and each was not clean enough to place my child on the floor. Bathtub was rusty. Furnishings were old. I can't say I have returned since then. I have been staying at the East Norwich Inn instead.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family