“Great Place for a Wine Tour or Getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fox and the Grapes Bed and Breakfast

The Fox and the Grapes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Lodi B&B and Inns
Syracuse, New York
“Great Place for a Wine Tour or Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

I am going to say a lot of nice things about the Fox & Grapes B & B, such that you might wonder why not a five star rating. It's all a matter of room choice (i.e. mattress), because everything else about the place was wonderful. Our room, the Watson, was nicely appointed and clean; but the mattress was a little less than pleasant. Other mattresses in the B & B suggest a better level of comfort is to be had (e.g. the king in the Ophelia actually was tried for future possibilities, and I suspect the same could be said for the Thaddeus, as it also has a king brass bed with mattress). Now that I have dispensed with my objection, I will turn to the reasons why people come back to this place and first timers enjoy it. First of all, I cannot complain about the overall deal. Being a supporter of a central NY public classical FM station, I found that my membership included all kinds of deals for restaurants, lodgings, entertainments, & museums. The Fox & Grapes was in for this year. They were already on reduced rates for January, and the deal included the second night free. Given the general airiness of the B & B and some nice antiquities, you would have to be a condescending fool not to appreciate the appointments and value the rooms represent. Opulent no, nice yes! The help staff is two, an outgoing "Friday" with general chores and Blanche, a great cook whose knowledge about food, particularly her recipes for people with allergies and intestinal disorders that are just fine for people who do not have these problems. I can see a scenario where a condiment-addicted foodie might call some of her cooking under-seasoned (for these people I recommend an adroit use of the hand and wrist with salt and pepper shakers). Her Saturday breakfast featured a delicious corn bread with her own home-grown raspberries, frozen fruit from her garden that tasted better than what passes for fresh today and is unsprayed (Jim: I hope you read what I just wrote). The quiche main course for Saturday breakfast was great. Sunday was an unusual and deliciously satisfying take on french toast. Overall, portions were decent, and I cannot imagine any person walking away from the table with an under-exercised stomach, this from a man with a pretty hefty appetite. On Saturday morning, we woke up to about 5-6 inches of snow. Our house gal, without being asked, went out with broom to knock the snow off all the vehicles of the guests. Nice! With its central location just south of Lodi, it is minutes away from decent wineries like Lamoreaux and Red Newt and a cutoff road that takes you over to the west side of Cayuga Lake. With a better mattress, I would have rated it 5 stars. I think that other rooms have them, so we would want to return here, if only to upgrade the rating.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Campbell, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

While the house and bedroom were all very nice the Breakfast portion left much to be desired.

We stayed for two nights and both mornings we had to ask for items during breakfast such as butter for the one piece of toast we were given, salt and pepper, and even juice. The breakfast it's self was not worth $5.00 in my opinion.

The first morning we had a very small bowl of Blueberry's and Strawberrys, one piece of Quiche, a piece of toast, along with juice and coffee. While eating breakfast the staff fixed their own breakfast of scambled eggs, bacon and toast and proceed to eat their breakfast in front of us. 1. Where was our bacon? 2. Why where they eating their breakfast along with the guests?

The second morning we had the same small bowl of Blueberry's and Strawberrys, Baked Stuffed French Toast, along with juice and coffee. There were muffins brought in for us but only 8 muffins for 10 people so my wife and I had to share a muffin while those that were there early were able to have a whole muffine each.

A week later I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express at a much cheaper rate and the breakfast they served consisted of banana's, apple's, 3 different muffins, bagels, toast, pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, biscuits with sausage gravy, cereal, milk, juice, coffee and much more. While this was not prepared by a "chef" it was all very good and we had many more options to choose from.

We have stayed at many other Bed and Breakfast's and their breakfast's were 100 times better than what we received at The Fox & Grapes.

I would not recommend staying here simply due to the very poor breakfast received.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Perkasie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at The Fox and the Grapes B&B for our Deck the Halls Wine tour! The rooms were large, comfortable, and spotless! The great room with the roaring fireplace was perfect for a cold winter night. Beautiful views of the lake. Our breakfast was lovely, and we even took home some new recipes. We will only stay here the next time we go on a wine tour!

• Stayed December 2013
Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife Lisa and I stayed at the FOX AND THE GRAPES the weekend before Thanksgiving. It was our second trip there. We had the best time. We actually got to know the other guests while we were there and spent the evenings watching movies with the "strangers." It turned out to be one of the best weekends we have ever had. I have already contacted everyone staying at the house with us and we are planning to all come again next winter and hopefully rent the entire house for the murder mystery weekend. The Bed and Breakfast was the perfect weekend with great food and the perfect atmosphere. Thank you so much for another great weekend and we are looking forward to our next stay!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Belle Mead, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

My wife and I were looking for a nice peaceful get away in the Finger Lakes Region so we can explore some wineries, brewery's and enjoy some peaceful romantic alone time. We chose the Fox and the Grape due to its central location to the various wineries, State Parks by the Falls and restaurants. We were not disappointed. The B&B was clean and charming. The owner, James very nice, friendly and a wealth of information on where to go, and what to do. His "assistant", Lisa is just as wonderful, ask her anything about the area and she will point you in the right direction. Want to sample sweet wines, no problem Lisa knows where to send you, want dry full body reds, no problem for Lisa and she is spot on. Knows where to send you and away from the bus loads that frequent the area on week-ends. Breakfast is made by James who is amazing in the kitchen and when he is busy Blanch is a cracker jack in the kitchen with home made breads and pastries and stomach stuffing entries. You cannot leave on an empty stomach especially if you are going wine tasting. There is a great room for all the guests to mingle and that serves as the TV room. James lets you run the house except for the Private Areas where he resides in the house. There is a big porch overlooking the lake where you sit and marvel at the beauty that is Seneca Lake. If, no make that when my wife and I return to the Finger Lakes I will book the Thaddius Room with the wonderful king bed, private bath and small sitting area. Terrific three nights and thanks to the staff at the Fox and the Grape for a super get away break!

• Stayed November 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I fully enjoyed our stay at The Fox and the Grapes. Quiet room, fabulous view and great breakfast (freshly cooked by Jim and changed daily). The staff was not on premises 24 hours so we fully understood the many guests rules. For meal, I highly recommend a lunch at 'Ginny Lee' right next door at the Wagner Vineyards and for dinner, 'Suzanne' which is only a 5-minute drive away. The B&B is also close to some really good wineries along the Seneca lake shore. Don't miss Silver Thread Vineyard located just further down the drive from the B&B.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I simply had to rave about our stay at The Fox and the Grapes. The historic house was warm and inviting, the rooms lovely and comfortable, the views spectacular, and the breakfasts were amazing. Both the owner and staff were wonderful, and made us feel as though we were visiting family.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lodi
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
1922 Starkey House Bed & Breakfast Inn
The Blackberry Inn B&B
The Blackberry Inn B&B
#1 of 17 in Watkins Glen

Been to The Fox and the Grapes Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!