“There are disadvantages to staying in an under-capacity hotel”
Review of Allegria Hotel

Allegria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Long Beach
“There are disadvantages to staying in an under-capacity hotel”
Reviewed 3 June 2011

I will begin by saying this is a beautiful hotel in a great location . The lobby and rooms are trendy, spacious and clean with a contemporary "beachy" theme. Details and appointments are unique and interesting, the beds and linens are comfortable, the towels are plush and the bathrooms are modern. The bar and restaurant were active and fun. Long Beach really needed someplace like the Allegria.

That said, they are going to have to really work on some details if they want to charge the rates that they hope and fill up the rooms.

We called up last minute as we needed someplace local for a family emergency. We thought the beach would be a perfect respite from the severity of the situation we were faced with while visiting LI. We were satisfied with the rate that they were able to offer and we are glad we did.

But, there are disadvantages to staying in an under-occupied hotel. Apparently, if there is not hot water being drawn by many other rooms, it is hard to come by. It's kind of like pulling the hot water to the kitchen in your own home if you've been away for a while. Understandable, but a definite engineering/plumbing flaw in a hotel. We had 2 days of cold showers. We informed the front desk and left for the day but who knows if it was ever attended to? The same goes for problems with the air-conditioning. When we brought the issue up again on the phone, we were told that we may need to let the water run for a long time........." 45 minutes"....... to get hot water. REALLY???? Who's got 45 minutes? And what a waste of water! When we spoke to the maintenance staff who was there to fix the air-conditioning that did not work for 2 days, he promised to run the water in the rooms nearby to ensure we could take a hot shower. That worked but seriously.... So there was the water issue and the air-conditioning that did not work properly. We were also not told (until we called to complain) that some of the safes were currently inoperable. Unfortunately, ours was one that could not be used. A definite inconvenience. The pool and rooftop bar was also not open yet.

The staff was friendly and solicitous but apparently ineffectual. Many of the requests for corrections were met with concern but no actual action. They also often gave miss-advice.

I'll add that we were treated respectfully and compensated for our complaints . We will consider Allegria should we need a place to stay in similar circumstances in the future but we would love to see that they have addressed these very basic of issues first.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Msk6261

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
NY
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I stayed here with my wife for a free night that we had coming to us from the hotel, due to a function she had booked months prior. We thought what the hell, a night out, since the hotel was free.

We checked in around 5 PM on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend and the place was packed with people. The check-in process took no time at all, but the woman at the front desk was like, "Oh you're lucky we have a room for you." I thought that's what reservations are for???

We got into the room and it was very nice. It felt like we were in Europe. Everything seemed crisp and clean and new.

We headed down to dinner at the Atlantica Restaurant. We had 7:30 reservations so we got there around 7:20 and were told to please give them 15 minutes or so, since they were very backed up. I went back at 7:50 and asked if our table was ready and the hostess rolled her eyes and commented that she had to break up a table and to give her a minute.

We finally sat and waited for almost a half an hour for someone, anyone to come to our table. It wasn't even a waiter it was a manager of some sort. He took our drink order and then dissappeared for another 25 minutes. Nobody what was going on, there were no waiters to be found, the hotess was cleaning off tables, it was mass confusion. It's not a cheap restaurant and I would have expected A LOT more. The food was just ok, but the service was horrible, probably the worst I've ever had at this caliber of restaurant. Finally we got our dessert, a simple brownie sundae. The Ice cream was soup, I had to ask for some more since I was very upset by this point. After we're all done, finally a waitress shows up and asks us if we want some dessert, REALLY???

Now on to the hotel... We settled in and all was well, then all hell broke loose. Around 1:30 AM a dog went into hysterics and was barking and howling and freaking out. I'm assuming the hotel is dog friendly?? Then the people in the next room were having a conversation that we heard ever word through the connecting door. I called down to the front desk and she didn't seem to care that I couldn't sleep do to a conversation being heard through a door. It was horrible, I was tossing and turning and decided to check out at 2:25 AM. They didn't seem to even care that we were leaving in the middle of the night and I told them why and she just said sorry.

Don't go there is you want any peace and quiet or any form of service. Even for free it wasn't worth it!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank LITraveler72

Travellers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Long beach, ny
Reviewed 31 May 2011

This is a review on the hotel's services NOT about their rooms or accommodations.

I live not far from the hotel. I decided to go have a drink and dinner. This is the Allegria Hotel. " A year-round beachfront escape that embodies relaxed elegance, sophistication and style"

I give the Allegria lots of points for style. 10 of 10. It is a beautiful hotel, everything is clean and neat. That is about where it stops.

I don't mind spending a high price for a meal as long as the quality of the product is there.

I ordered seared Tuna. It was horrible! Freezing cold in the center. I brought it to the managers attention, and he defended the hotel instead of trying to solve the problem, or perhaps offer a free drink.

I spoke with some of the people there this Memorial day weekend. They ran out of food, service was terribly slow. WHY?

I would NEVER go here for a "casual drink" and a "quality meal" I felt like I Was eating chain restaurant food, receiving chain service ,and paying luxury prices.

Suggestions for improvement:
1. The chef has to be trained or supervised better. Maybe a guest chef..
2. Have a dedicated waitress area at the bar. The bartenders were serving their customers at the bar and waitresses. Having a dedicated server will make everything go much smoother.
3. Make sure you are stocked on food. If not, inform your servers so they don't sell the item you are out of!
4. Give locals a discount or a card indicating they are local. If you want repeat business, you need to offer an olive branch to locals.. Otherwise you will only have one-off customers.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank zuckerboy
NYC
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Just informed by AMEX my name, card & expiration were stolen. Informed this was at Allegria Hotel, Long Beach. I went there maybe 4 times during summer of 2010 to the bar / restaurant. I did not stay at the hotel. My AMEX info has been hacked via Allegria!

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BeenHacked
Racing999
Reviewed 11 May 2011

There were 4 of us girls that were sent to this hotel by Delta due to flight cancellations. To our surprise we couldn't believe that we had been put up in such a NICE place- but after staying there- I can totally see why. We had NO LUGGAGE and NO MONEY!!! Delta had given us vouchers to use- well 3-$6 vouchers- couldn't buy a thing at this hotel for $6. So, we put all of our vouchers together and ordered the CHEAPEST things off the BREAKFAST menu. The food was delivered to our room and the vouchers were given to the server. I mind you that we had muffins, oatmeal, cereal and 2 pancakes for $67.00. Shortly after finishing our (nasty) breakfast, the phone rang and it was the front desk telling us we could NOT use but $24.00 worth of vouchers- PLEASE keep in mind that we are DISTRESSED PASSENGERS with NO MONEY and NO LUGGAGE- So, needless to say I was highly upset. Not sure where they thought we were going to get the $ to pay them. So, I told them before check out- DO NOT CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD- I will have Delta take care of this. Well, after that we TRIED to get in the car that we had clled for and the lady that thought she was "all that" talked to us as if we were children- and beeing that I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot- I bit my tongue and didn't say wwhat I sooo WANTED to say to her. Well, I get my bank statement and guess who charged my account after I plainly told them NOT TO!!!! I actually told the front desk a few times NOT to charge my card. When I contacted them at the hotel they again talked to me as I was a child and needed to be talked DOWN to. I'm thinking my next step now is to file fraud charges. I have given them plenty of time to credit my account and they haven't done so. Needless to say- I will never stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank Racing999
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We stayed at the Allegria Hotel in Long Beach.....it is stunning. Everything is modern and up to date. The beds are so comfortable and the linens and towels are just incredible. Loved the wonderful robes in the room. At night we opened the window and listened to the ocean. We had a wonderful view of the ocean and boardwalk. You walk out of the hotel directly onto the boardwalk. We walked on the boardwalk every day. The beach is glorious and right there in front of the hotel. You cannot ask for a better location. Met some surfers in the elevator, still dripping wet and holding their surfboards. The staff were so welcoming and friendly. Wonderful experience!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Deborah525
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 20 April 2011

+ Great location, right at the sea side and next to the train station (1h to penn station)
+ 24h gym is modern machines and ocean view - very nice
+ Helpful and friendly staff

- sometimes no hot or even lukewarm water
- in the lower floors, it is very loud because they play music in the bar
- in the lower floors because there is a machine running all night (air condition, heating?, not sure what it is exactly)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Best Western Mill River Manor
Best Western Mill River Manor
#2 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton R...
#1 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Rockville Centre Inn
Rockville Centre Inn
#3 of 4 in Rockville Centre

Been to Allegria Hotel? Share your experiences!