“We planned to spend the day there”
Review of Allegria Hotel

Allegria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband, 1 year old daughter and I planned to spend a day over July Fourth weekend and had called multiple times to arrange lounges by the pool. We were told just to arrive early and it would be fine. We called and tweeted multiple times just to make sure. We did and then were then turned away and told the hotel was full. We drove all the way from Brooklyn. We have emailed multiple times to find out what happened and haven't gotten any responses. We are so disappointed.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank greenie18
Write a ReviewReviews (1,169)

Reviewed 11 July 2011

I thought this would be a great get a way for my wife and I and I was so disappointed. It is a beautiful hotel but worth the price???? Hell no. Pay the 300 bucks and fly to LA and stay at the London or other hotels with rooftop pools. Service was crap, the menu overpriced, and clientele is typical long island folks....loud and obnoxious. Check in was supposed to be at 3....we got checked in at 330. Reservations for restuarant were supposed to be at 630, we weren't in the system. We moved it back to 7, got sat at 720. Notice a theme here? I have stayed in hotels all around the world and this one doesn't come close. Maybe charge 100 bucks a night....not 300-600. They are charging you a premium for a Ford Pinto. That said, it is an elegant hotel, beautiful spot, and convenient. Either match the service with the price or lower the price to the current service. By the way, bring a razor while waiting for the elevator...I had to shave my face twice while waiting for it. I also read war and peace to bide the time...twice.

• Stayed: July 2011
5  Thank TimmyDyer
Reviewed 8 July 2011

This was by far one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a hotel. The service was awful. The Air Conditioning as well as the hot water and telephone did not work in the room.
I would never go back. We had friends that stayed there the same weekend and had similar terrible experiences.
Such a shame.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Travelguru40
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Made this reservation based on Tripadvisor #1 rating that I now see is bogus. I am not surprised. This is listed as a hotel and spa. There is no spa. There is also no hot water. When I called to ask about the hot water they actually told me to let it run for 15 minutes and see if that worked. It didn't. Such waste. There were no hand towels in the bathroom. There was no bath rug for the shower. The bathroom light over the sink blinked continually while in use.
The reservations for the resturant were poor. I was first told the only opening was 9:30 pm. I called back and asked another person and got reservations for 5pm. I went to the bar to have a cocktail and before dinner and no bartender was available. When I asked the first person they told me to wait just a moment. The second person said there was no bartender at all. I left and cancelled my dinner reservation. Finally, the parking was $25 per night. With taxes and parking my bill was over $650 for this night. I would avoid this hotel at all costs. The only good thing was an employee named BJ who gave us two free drink coupons for the misunderstanding about the spa...but then we couldn't get a bartender. Oh well. The view of the ocean was lovely.

Room Tip: If you have a reservation, cancel it.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank wandererJL
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Hotel is beautiful, location phenomenal. Room was well appointed, but amenities in bathroom were bare minimum. Restaurant and bar were terrific experiences, both for ambience, offerings and quality. Our meals were superb. Quite disappointed with the hotel service. Called room service to order some wine. Woman didn't know if we could order by the glass and had to find out (you can). Ordered pinot grigio and sauvignon blanc. She didn't "know" wines, so I literally had to spell them for her. Receptionist at checkout was speaking on phone with potential customer while dealing with us. I found that rude - deal with one at a time. Management needs to train its staff better. Also disappointing was charge for valet parking.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lassie727
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I don't know who thought to put the Allegria Hotel in Long Beach, but it looked like a Bentley in a second-hand car lot. Certainly Long Beach's 2.2 mile boardwalk and sandy beach deserved better than the surrounding neglected apartment buildings and shoddy pubs, but with plenty of empty lots one would hope others would be brave enough to invest in Long Beach - only 45 minutes from Manhattan.

The Allegria was nice. They, whoever they are, have done a fine job, but I could have been forgiven for thinking it had just opened as throughout the whole weekend we stayed, there were teething and service issues. Just sloppy really, but annoying too and probably enough for me not to want to go back, which is a shame as it is so close to JFK.

BJ the head concierge was attentive, although she kept introducing herself like she'd never met you before, which was either forgetful or over attentive, I couldn't decide which.

The Allegria could be very good and it should be in Miami and perhaps those South Beachers would turn a blind eye to the important little things. For instance my feet were dirty after walking around our bedroom floor just after the maid service had finished cleaning it. And unless I was a 6ft blonde the chances of getting a drink in the bar were slim.

I was also put off by the amount of security personnel they had, i.e. large men with gruff voices, uniforms and ear pieces. I wasn't aware that Obama was visiting nor that I was at a Jay Z concert. Perhaps they could offer to help clean rooms, or serve drinks, or open the door when I was outside with 3 big suitcases.

Anyway, kudos to those that opened the Allegria, but how about improving it so it remains open and hopefully encourages others to come to Long Beach.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ChicagoAddick
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This place is a perfect getaway from NYC. The beach access is wonderful w/ the Chairs and umbrellas waiting for you. The Cabana boys were great in getting you towels food/whatever you wanted. The hotel itself was spotless and bartenders at the bar were extremely helpful and genorous. The upstairs bar/lounge will be something when it opens up.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Garden City Hotel
#1 of 4 in Garden City
OHEKA CASTLE Hotel & Estate
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton R...
#1 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
5 mi away
Rockville Centre Inn
Rockville Centre Inn
#3 of 4 in Rockville Centre

Been to Allegria Hotel? Share your experiences!