“Multiple problems, grubby pool, cheap party venue”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Allegria Hotel

Allegria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Long Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Multiple problems, grubby pool, cheap party venue”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Spent 5 nights at this hotel and had long list of complaints. First off, on arrival the music from the bar was incredibly loud in the lobby which was the floor below - definitely not somewhere you'd go for a bite to eat with children. We enquired about rooftop bar - also closed for private party.

String of problems with our room - air con wasn't working. Complained the second we walked into room (along with broken light in bathroom, toilet flush not working, window couldn't open more than a crack because hinge was faulty, and then couldn't close because of bent catch), only solution was to give us fans which were ineffective, all rooms full, no chance to move. Reassured we could move the next day. So we didn't unpack and following instruction from the front desk, packed everything up the next morning - they were waiting for a room to become available, and offered to move our bags for us, because we were heading out for the day to a family event. We got back late and were told we hadn't been moved (different person on the desk, no knowledge of our problems or complaint despite us having double and triple checked before we left) and also air con hadn't been fixed. Engineer came and fixed window. Kids in tears having to put up with stuffy room and unending thud of music from the bar downstairs, and a second night with little sleep. Really horrible start to our holiday. Probably the worst thing was the lack of concern from guys on the front desk.

Next morning, following further complaint they offered us decent discount for those 2 nights and free breakfast for rest of stay. We finally moved to different room on same floor from our third night. I was so delighted to finally have air con, I gave up complaining about the other shortcomings of the hotel.

For example, kids took a swim in the roof top pool - the edges were green with algae, (we told them to just swim in the middle) - they came out after 30 minutes with scum around the rim of swimming goggles - my daughter looked like she had panda eyes as skin was so discoloured - we scrubbed them in the shower afterwards - the most gross experience of our stay - we didn't use the pool a second time.

We came in late one evening and realised another family with children was complaining about air con not working. We felt the hotel tried to give the effect of being an upmarket 5 star hotel (and it looked the part in places), but once you took a closer look, it was little better than a well decorated motel full of pretentious staff.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Womblecamper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Glendale, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Just got back today from two nights at the Allegria. My daughter and I had a wonderful time and all of the staff were super nice and helpful. One of the elevators was out for one of the days but was not a big inconvenience. Great place, great time, we would definitely go back again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Oslos, Denmark
Reviewed 21 August 2014

really nice Hotel at Long Beach, with a wounderfull view. Clean rooms and really friendly staff.
espacially Roberto, Max and Jesus were helpfull. Beachpasses was complementary whicj really was great since we stayed 1 week.
Wifi though was a joke.. Hope its getting bether for our next visit

Room Tip: choose high up with ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014

So I stayed 2 nights to celebrate my birthday. I was so scared from the reviews but went anyway. The hotel is beautiful right on beach and boardwalk. Rooms were very nice. The staff was wonderful and friendly especially mike (the bell hop), laura in reservations and everyone else that I didn't catch their names. They work hard very hard. It is unfortunate that the hotel does have a major AC problem in their rooms (which I experienced). I had to change my room once. One of the two elevators was out the entire time. The lounge area was nice and at night played really good music. I didnt try the restaurant. I went into town to corazon de cuba (very good ceviche), and the BBQ restaturant (forgot the name). The rooftop pool is small but can still be enjoyed. Too bad it closes at 7pm. I guess it's for safety reasons. It did suck not having free coffee in our room.
This Hotel has so much charm and potential. If the owner only made the proper repairs all at once instead of room by room. I understand that doing so puts the staff out of work because it might have to be shut down but it might be so worth it.
To the owner you have the option of paying your staff while the renovations take place. I suspect many of the damages were encountered during hurricane sandy. I complete understand the struggles that business that became victims of sandy are still enduring. Long beach was completely underwater. I was happy to have seen the town come back to life after such a devastating storm.
I would stay there again, even with the minor inconveniences. Staff was the best thanks guys. My husband, baby (4months) and mom enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Yes it's a hassle to change rooms because of the AC but worth it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Carlos G
New York
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband spent one night at Allegria for our Anniversary celebration, and to attend Jones Beach Theater. Check in at 4pm. The check-in in too late, but I can deal with it. They checked our bags. Very friendly. The front desk needs training, or someone should always be there, and 90% of the time is was not attended to. The lobby is gorgeous. The bar was great and staff was kind and attentive (Aaron) The room was gorgeous. Clean, spacious and had a "Miami" feel. I tried to call for room service and the phone fell out of the wall. When I finally got a dial tone, no one answered room service or front desk. I had to use my cell phone eventually with the phone falling off the wall, and still no one answered. The ice machine was broken on our floor, and when my husband went to find another one, he was approached by other guests who had experienced the same issues, even worse than us. After we returned from concert, there was no one in front to valet our car, which we had paid for when we checked in. (it was taken off the bill after my husband brought it to their attention the next day) The part that upset me the most is when we were asked on the elevator by upper management "how is your stay?" and we began to respond, instead of them apologizing and trying to accommodate our needs, the staff came back at me with an attitude, and said "we had over 700 people here last night!" To which my husband responding, "what does that have anything to do with us?" It was such an unprofessional response. I have stayed in many hotels in NYC, resorts, etc. I have never been treated this way. I don't know what is going on with this hotel, but it's a shame. You really have the makings of a 5 Star Hotel. I'm not sure if I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Patricia C

Travellers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

White Plains, New York
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed in the suite on 3rd fl, paying over $900 per night, located right above lounge/club. DJ music was so loud can't able to sleep until 1am. Hotel needs good maintenance all over the ares. Poorly trained service people. Would not stay at the hotel even if they pay me!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay on 3rd fl rooms above lounge/restaurant.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Kim C
NY
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed this past weekend as guests of a wedding. The wedding ceremony and reception were beautiful! Wait staff very gracious and accommodating.... But, as other posters noted.... Long check in lines, rooms not ready, no AC, elevators stuck 3 times, rooms separated on different floors, only 2 towels in rooms, no beach umbrellas or cabanas....etc...
I felt bad for front desk staff, who even under stress w long lines and frstrated guests were nice and professional -Victoria and Nick- as they could only do so much to accommodate guests. Rooms were not cleaned in time, check out at 11 and check in at 4?? No AC? The 'engineer' was back and forth all night trying to reset the AC's...Bellhop s Ramon and Mike super helpful....
Beautiful location and beautiful views... But.... Really needs infrastructure overhaul....

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
BEST WESTERN Mill River Manor
BEST WESTERN Mill River Manor
#1 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites Rockville C...
#2 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Rockville Centre Inn
Rockville Centre Inn
#4 of 4 in Rockville Centre

Been to Allegria Hotel? Share your experiences!