“Meh”
Review of Long Beach Hotel

Long Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 21 June 2014

So, last year I stayed at the Allegria Hotel. With that being said the Allegria, on the surface is far more modern and attractive. However, Long Beach Hotel was quiet, the air conditioning worked and it served its purpose as a functional place to stay for a night and sleep. Because the price tag is $100 less than the Allegria, it's a good bargain, comparatively.

One block walk from the boardwalk, it also serves as a good stopping ground if you are a weekend warrior wishing to come out from the city for some R and R. Beyond that, I can't say it has much to offer; it is no-frills, and service is minimal. Calling downstairs to reception my call went into voicemail. When I went downstairs, there was supposedly coffee and danishes offered to guests, but the trays were empty. The poor gal at the front desk seemed to be the only one working, and she radioed for someone to help replenish the trays, and about 15 minutes later someone came in to bring more breakfast food.

Since there are only two hotels in Long Beach at this point, it appears that a monopoly exists and until the competition increases, I doubt the service will get much better at either…

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank jlauftravel
There are newer reviews for Long Beach Hotel

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Old fashioned; the elevator was tiny and seemed like it was from the 1930s. The doors didn't close well, and the carpets were peeling off the floor. Service was ok; the restaurant was fine but the server gave us dirty plates (ew). Overall, ok but not ideal.

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Miss Owl R
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked 20+ rooms for a touring rugby team and routinely look for high quality for a low price. By sheer accident I stumbled upon the Long Beach Hotel and glad I did. Built in the 1920's, this hotel and new restaurant has undergone a really wonderful transformation. The rooms are simple but crisply clean, the bathrooms shimmered in cleanliness and the bar/ restaurant food and drinks were very reasonable. Ask for Sue- she makes everything easy and she can recommend great points of interest and transportation options - we used Broward bus at her suggestion - wow what great service. In entering the plain, marble lobby, no matter who is behind the counter, you get a big friendly welcome. What a great feeling! My group was ecstatic and asked to return. The ONLY disappointment was that a real breakfast was not available just a few muffins and bagels- eh. Overall - very good under advertised property. Try it!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank JoeRugby
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We recently stayed here for my boyfriends birthday weekend. Hmm, where to start. Not bad overall, average I'd say. I'm going to be quite detailed, but please know these are not all negative complaints. $200 p night, if it were more, I'd be disappointed.

Location: The hotel is located one block from the very nice, very clean beach. The boardwalk is just about brand new. When we pulled up to the hotel, its basically next to a small area of projects, which was odd. The exterior is nothing fancy, just ok. The parking is free which is a plus, but its a residential area so it took a few times around the block to find a spot.

Interior and rooms: The lobby is very nice. New tiles, very bright and clean - however, as soon as you walk out of the lobby, upstairs to the rooms, its a different story. The carpeting is very old and outdated. It smelled of mildew. The room was cute. Small, with basically a queen bed, a dresser and a flat screen TV. It had hardwood floors which was much nicer than the gross carpet. The bathroom was very tiny, with an old tub and some radiator hanging on the wall, but still ok and served its purpose. It did in a way feel like we were in a bedroom of someones house. You could hear everything, so the walls were very thin. AC was good, tv worked fine. When they told us we had a room with a view, we were excited. But really, the view is a tiny part of the water/boardwalk, the rest is ugly buildings and cars parked. All in all, average.

Staff: The staff seemed very nice and helpful, but very casual and laid back. Front desk was helpful, but it also seemed that they tried to "sell" us a lot. i.e. renting beach chairs and umbrellas from them, having them call us a cab through a certain company $50 to Jones Beach Theater. (when we asked some locals about this because their price seemed high, they said its a 10-15 min drive and free parking, so drive yourselves - they were basically getting a cut of the money from the cab company - not sure if this is true or not, but..)

Bar/Grill - If i were to rate this on the first day, i would say never again. We had the calamari which was basically frozen calamari ($14) with totally plain breading, no flavor whatsoever and some fish tacos that were gross ($10). However, the next day, we had burgers, caesar salads w/chicken and this was much better. The beer selection was limited but not bad. Our apps meal ($45) cost more than our actual lunch the next day ($25). The waitress was young and clueless. She was not very attentive to any customer really. Twice i had to get up to give her my drink order and then get our check from her because she was quite chatty with the bartender. Teens will be teens I guess. We weren't in a rush and were pretty laid back ourselves, so it didn't cause a big problem. But you will notice the waitress wasn't great.

Back to the location: there are no places to eat, get coffee or a quick bite, other than walking to the main strip E Park Ave (i believe). We didn't mind the walk (about 15 min) but there are no other options. There are NO food or drink places on the boardwalk, or near the hotel, which surprised us. We had to walk several blocks down and off the beach for some lunch - however, this was worth the walk. These food trucks had excellent food! I still can't get over no restaurants or bars or places to grab a drink on the boardwalk, at all. The locals say they are keeping it all residential.

All in all - AVERAGE, could use some major updating in the hallways, stairs and rooms - and i don't mean a paint job. :)

Room Tip: Room 104 i believe is the room with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laurie W
Reviewed 1 June 2014

It is a nice hotel that is strongly supported by the locals. The entire staff is extremely friendly and out going always going out of there way to help out. I understand that the hotel is still being renovated however they should have it done soon before the summer rush. Elevator looks like its from the twilight zone but it works, also there is not a pool nor a gym but I didn't worry about that since its a block away from the beach. It may not be a "luxury" hotel but it will make you feel right at home with a welcoming staff. Overall if your looking for a place to stay for the weekend this I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I suggest to ask for a corner room, I heard they are bigger.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Overpriced, outrageously noisy and extremely outdated. The walls were so thin we could hear the people in the room next us talking and walking, which kept us awake for all but a few hours both nights.

If you are going to long beach HIGHLY suggest using Airbnb to get a MUCH better deal and to actually sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VAS21
Reviewed 27 May 2014

What a perfect hotel situated in the Long Beach community. I am a veteran and my militaty sisters and I had the pleasure of staying here. One block from the beach and the best staffing Ive experienced in a long while. David in housekeeping and the chef went over and above to ensure our Memorial day weekend was top notched. Customer service and level of care was outstanding. Would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank sammyb27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Beach
Allegria Hotel
Allegria Hotel
#1 of 2 in Long Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton R...
#1 of 4 in Rockville Centre
#2 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Rockville Centre Inn
Rockville Centre Inn
#3 of 4 in Rockville Centre

Been to Long Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!