“Good food, questionable atmosphere”
Review of Serata Long Beach

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Serata Long Beach
Ranked #90 of 119 Restaurants in Long Beach
Cuisines: Italian
LONG BEACH, NY
“Good food, questionable atmosphere”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

My friends and I recently chose Serata to celebrate a birthday. The family-style menu seemed appropriate and worked out well for our large group. We didn't think that the size of our party should be an issue, as there were several other groups just as big as ours in the restaurant, but we seemed to have a little trouble at our table. There were a couple issues that were probably out of our servers hands, such as the restaurant being out of our first 2 wine choices, and the gingerale coming out tasting like the machine was out of syrup, but we had a few drink orders get lost in the sauce and we had to flag down either our server, or another random one walking by in order to get those drinks. One appetizer that we ordered never got made and brought out, but the food was otherwise fine.

In the end, I believe the server set things right by offering us a higher-priced wine selection for the lower price of the wine we had ordered, but they did not have. If I remember correctly, I believe he also took an appetizer off of our bill to make up for the 1 that never showed up.

The food wasn't bad. I'm not saying that I would never eat here again, but it's also not near the top of my list, when going out to dinner is suggested among friends. Overall, we were satisfied with the food. The atmosphere was a different story. This place is LOUD. Since it is a family-style restaurant, I assume that would attract more groups, rather than couples looking for a quiet meal, but we had to scream at each other to carry on 2- or 3-person conversations. When we first sat down, we were seated right in front of a big-screen TV that was playing the movie "A Bronx Tale." Entertaining. Halfway through our appetizers, that movie ended, and was followed by "Goodfellas." That happens to be one of my favorite movies, but it probably wasn't the best selection for dinnertime entertainment at a restaurant, especially since there were kids present.

The TV was on mute, but even if it wasn't, there's no way anyone would have heard it over the music blaring from the DJ/live entertainment. There was a man and a woman performing live that night and if 5 or 6 out of 10 would have been a comfortably acceptable and entertaining volume, these 2 were singing at about a 20. The music was so loud and performed in such an OK manner, that all conversation at our table turned to commenting on the ridiculousness of the singers. By the end of the meal, we couldn't wait to get out there so the ringing in our ears could subside.

If one would like to check this place out with a group of friends, I wouldn't discourage it, but be prepared for a very loud evening, and some OK food.

• Visited February 2013