“Is The Pizza Made of Gold?”
Review of Sorrento's

Sorrento's
Ranked #7 of 124 Restaurants in Long Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Went to Sorrento's this afternoon for pizza. Was told it would take 20 minutes. Fine. We sat outside and drank some ice tea. One hour later, we still did not have our pizza. I asked the people at the counter what was happening. They told me our pizza was in line. In line? They expected it to be about another 45 minutes. Excuse me, but almost two hours for a pizza? No way. I paid for the iced tea and left. Is this the way to retain customers, especially a first-timer?

2  Thank Stuart K

Reviewed 13 September 2013

A friend recommended Sorrento's and bragged it had the "best pizza ever!" We had to see for ourselves. Be warned, Sorrento's is tiny! No more than a store front on Park Avenue in Long Beach, we almost passed it. The day we went, there were tables outside and they were cooking sausage, pepper and onion kebobs on a grill for the beach town patrons. We headed inside for the pizza. The place is tiny and cannot accommodate more than maybe 25 people at tables, but this does not dampen the spirit or quell the appetites of the people who often wait a full hour for one pie.

Being unsure, we ordered a small pie ($11.99) and a calzone with ham ($8.99). What we didn't know was that the small pie literally fills the brick oven, wooden pizza paddle in a perfect rectangle. It's just like the pizza in Italy. The pizza maker (a nice guy from Brazil, believe it or not)delivers the paddle to your table and you eat off of it.

The pizza crust is thin and tastes amazing! The brick oven aroma lingers over the delicious sauce, fresh (yes, fresh) mozzarella and sprigs of fresh basil. Amazing! The pizza is cut in 8 square pieces. We got half plain (for me!) and 1/2 with meatball crumbles and onion. From the first bite to the last, you will think you are in pizza heaven. The pizza maker is meticulous and pays such beautiful attention to detail and quality - they are not concerned about volume here as the oven can only fit one pizza at a time. Each pizza is treated as a special order and it tastes like it!

The calzone was the same, maybe a little thicker crust, folded over fresh ricotta and mozzarella and baked to the goldest of browns. It was too much food for us, but they happily boxed the calzone and my husband ate half the next day for lunch and loved it!

The couple next to us shared a salad that looked fantastic. It was piled high with greens and had fresh mozzarella, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, etc. and a light vinagrette. We will def order that next time.

Drinks are self-serve out of a standard deli refrigerator and the selection is nothing memorable - the usual sodas and ice teas. When you stand on line to place your order, you are in front of a counter full of fresh baked treats, - Italian style. They had pignoli cookies, tri-color cookies, napoleans, tiramisu, etc. Sorrento's also houses an Italian deli with lots of imported items and an old-fashioned butcher shop.

I so wanted to give Sorrento's a rating of "Excellent," but because the eating area is so small, I just can't. We will go to Sorrento's again - often - but I think we will do take out. Please note: as we were leaving (we got there early - about 3:30 on a Sunday) a gentleman was ordering a pie to take out. He was told there was a two hour wait. He said he was happy to wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Sorrento's - it's definitely worth the wait!

Reviewed 6 September 2013

When I eat a pizza at Sorrento's, I feel like I am back in Italy. The quality is top notch and very atypical for an American pizza place. I highly recommend the pizza with olives and proscuitto. The only reason there are not five stars is that it is a bit disconcerting to get a table and sit down and get served there. However, it is worth every bit of discomfort getting settled and certainly worth the wait!

3  Thank Mick M
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

A combination butcher, bakery, and pizza place, Sorrento's is excellent. If you haven't been going for the last twenty years, you'll start off going for the pizza. The most important thing to know is that only one pizza fits in the oven at a time, and last pizza is 7pm. Arrive early and patient and you'll be delighted.

1  Thank Ph8l
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

If you want the best pizza in long beach head to sorrentos and skip crummy ginos. You may miss out if you don't get there early enough they only make so much fresh dough each day. The focus is on quality and not quantity. Everything they do is meticulously crafted so it is the best and freshest it can be. The butcher shop provides the same quality and expertise. They treat customers like family and its a pleasure to become a regular here because of the relationship between owner and customer rarely seen in todays business minded fast paced world. So slow down and enjoy some time here.

1  Thank notathomeeatout