“not bad for the money”

Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Berkeley, California
“not bad for the money”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

not a bad hotel, but nor great either.

I like Marriott courtyards. Fairfield Inns - the cheaper end of the chain - tend to show it in
many ways - mismatched wallpaper, missing bathroom tiles, etc. A lot of little things - nothing that really matetrs, but you can notice them.

A few other things.

the shuttle works as advertised, but waiting for it and then waiting for the subway makes getting into Manhattan pretty time consuming.

the neighborhood is commercial and industrial but not a problem - but also not a lot of fun to walk around in. If you have a car, spend some time in the more urban parts of Queens (e.g., Steinway Street and Broadway in Astoria) - its close and is pretty interesting. Google "cheap eats" for greeat lunch spots in very ethnic neighborhoods.

the breakfast is crowded and slighty below average.

parking is a little odd - but we had no trouble parkig on the street.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
gmfairfieldinnlic, General Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review and thank you for staying at our hotel. We appreciate you choosing the Fairfield Inn Marriott Long Island City for your lodging needs. I would appreciate you to contact me so that I can get more details about the mismatched wallpaper, missing bathroom tiles, etc in order to rectify the matter. Please call me to 718-389-7700.

Thanks again for your review and look forward to serving you in the near future.

Omar Aquino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
Oshawa ontario
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This reasonably priced option, a great alternative to pricy Manhattan hotels is only a short metro ride to/from Times Square 42 St for connections all over Manhattan. There is an included Breakfast, including some hot items, good coffee, quality juices and more plus a very convenient complimentary hotel shuttle service to/from the closest metro station on line 7, 33-Rawson. Shuttle runs on the 1/2 hour, or more frequently if you call the hotel. Lobby shop has drinks and snacks (including beer) to purchase and complimentary internet in the lobby. I highly recommend this hotel, the staff are very friendly and helpful from the maintenance and housekeeping crew to the front desk.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cathytravels
gmfairfieldinnlic, General Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and thank you for staying at our hotel. We appreciate you choosing the Fairfield Inn Marriott Long Island City for your lodging needs. We appreciate your comments about the location, the great breakfast options, the free shuttle services to the subway station (#7 train), and the friendly and helpful staff. I will make sure to share your feedback with them.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights during a long weekend trip to NYC. We were very excited to visit the big apple for the very first time. The location of this hotel was okay, they offer a shuttle that leaves every 30 minutes to the nearest subway station which was helpful. However, they don't offer any type of assistance figuring out what trains to take and how to get to where you want to go. If it weren't for our iphones, we would have been lost. The staff was friendly enough, but not overly so. The room was nice, great view of Manhattan at night time. The pictures of the exterior are very misleading. This property is located in an industrial area and the "free" parking is all on the street.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
gmfairfieldinnlic, General Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It is through comments and suggestions from our guests that we are able to improve our facilities and services. Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered by not getting directions and assistance, from my staff, of the trains and how to get around NYC. I have addressed this issue with my front desk team to ensure doesn’t happen again.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 3/13-3/17 & I must say that this hotel is truly the best thing in New York area. The front desk was very helpful especially Nita. The rooms were a great size also. The area is a little isolated but it offered local restaurants around. The continental breakfast was awesome. Even though I wish they offered the waffle maker everyday & they need two of those because the lines get long. The shuttle bus was also awesome, takes you to all the places you need to go(Locally). Had to walk from the train station one night but it was only a fifteen min walk, but the shuttle last until 11pm. Now one thing I wish they could change is the wifi in the rooms & also the cable channel's, The cable channels would be lovely for males since it offers 6 ESPN channel. Females need a variety of channels. I wanted to make a recommendation, since many people are tourist I recommend that you download HOTSTOP on your android/iphone, it will definitely help you to get around town. HOTSTOP gives you all the train stop & streets to get off if you dont know where to go. But I Highly recommend this hotel.

Brittany

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
gmfairfieldinnlic, General Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the great review and kind words. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Fairfield Inn Long Island City. We pride ourselves on the great guest service we provide. I will be sure to pass along to Nina and the rest of the staff all the nice things you mentioned. I would like to point out, as far as the Wi-Fi in the room; we are in the final process of upgrading our high speed internet services- offering free Wi-Fi services in all guest rooms.
I thank you for your comment about the cable channels and I will work with my engineering department on the variety of channels.
iew and we look forward to seeing you upon your next visit to the NYC and Long Island City area.

Omar A.
East Alton, Illinois
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed a few nights here as I had business in Long Island City and it was close to my client. This is a nice relatively new Fairfield Inn, 12 stories high but not many rooms (tall and skinny). No wi fi in rooms, but the cable internet worked fine but very slow unless you want to pay for it. The rooms was clean and the bed was very good. As this is an urban hotel the street noise starts about 6 AM. While the hotel is fine, the neighboorhood leaves something to be desired. It is mostly industrial and there are no decent restaurants or bars in walking distance. The breakfast was nice, with waffles, and all the typical Fairfield ammenities. Parkling is also a problem as the hotel has no real parking lot. I was able to find street parking behind the hotel, and fortunately my car was still there every morning. This is a nice hotel for business in the area but not for a family vacation

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank John S
gmfairfieldinnlic, General Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn by Marriott in Long Island City. Thank you for your review and kind words. I’m glad your stay was enjoyable as you expected. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We greatly value your business

Best regards,
Hamburg Germany
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Classic Marriott Fairfield inn - Shuttle Service to Metro - 15 Minutes from 5th Av. - friendly and clean ! Stay here since a few years every time !

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank K2136
gmfairfieldinnlic, General Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel. I’m glad that you were pleased with our hotel and amenities. Our location is convenient to the #7 subway/train and in just a few minutes you can be experiencing all that NYC and Manhattan has to offer, without paying the higher hotel prices. As you mentioned, our hotel offers free shuttle services from 6am to 11 pm every half hour to the subway/train (33rd Street and Rawson Street station) and to any restaurants or attractions in the local area.

Thank you for your continued business we look forward to seeing you again should you return to NYC.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Took a bit to find, as my nav system did not understand the 52-34 (52 lead us to a warehouse about a mile away). The surrounding area here was not much better, but some civilization, yet surrounded by warehouses and broken down areas. Free parking consists of 9 spaces in front, 8 in a garage, and the rest on the surrounding streets (sketchy area). They do offer a free shuttle to select destinations (subway and a few nearby select restaurants). Free breakfast is also included, consisting of cereals and yogurt, make-your-own waffles, bagels, and refrigerated egg sandwiches (adequate for us, esp for free). Staff were very friendly and courteous.
The room was spotless clean, standard size fare. The ONLY negatives about the room was a very noisy bathroom fan (not critical to use), and a shower that necessitated a call to the desk to see how to turn it on (a sign in the tub telling you to pull down on the faucet aerator would be helpful).
There is nothing nearby, and due to the premium on parking spaces, I did not want to lose my space, so we shuttled and subway'ed everywhere (probably not a bad thing - took 40 minutes to get into downtown Manhattan from the hotel).
All in all, if you need to be in this area, for the price, decent place. But the area and minimal off-street parking (yet free) are not welcoming.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pullthetab
Dear guest;

Thank you for the great review of our hotel. I’m glad that you were pleased with our hotel, ameneties, and the staff. We pride ourselves on the great guest service we provide. I will be sure to pass along to our staff all the nice things you mentioned.