“Wedding with Family”

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Wedding with Family”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Hotel staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. There is an outdoor patio with furniture to sit on and is quite spacious. The furniture and cushions are a bit run down outside. Elevators were slow and on Sunday morning, when everyone was checking out, the only two elevators were broken down. Guests had to use the stairs which was a problem for older people and people who were on the upper floors. Continental breakfast was included in the price. Coffee, toast, fruit and oatmeal were all good. Eggs were powdered and not appetizing. Rooms were a bit small but were satisfactory. The room décor could also be updated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Anil M, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate it. I will extend my gratitude to the staff for ensuring that they provided you with friendliness. I apologize for the inconvenience of the elevators. We are having maintenance done to our elevators. It was a pleasure having you and I hope to see you again in the future.

Best Regards
Anil Masih
Front Office Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Turkish first
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is our 2nd stay at this Fairfield Inn. Some things remained the same: their level of customer service did not waver. We arrived 2 hours early and they already had a room ready for us! They are always offering service with a smile, and their free breakfast is always a nice bonus. The shuttle service is a great service, although it’s only a 15 minute walk from 33 St subway Station (p.s. I did this walk close to midnight and felt absolutely safe).

However, what changed for me was the noise level. My first room faced Manhattan, and this one faced Van Dam Street. It was a huge difference and I found it to be terribly noisy. It was really only traffic noise, and not the hotel's fault, but compared to what I experienced the first time it was a big difference.

All in all, there's no question as to where I’ll be staying the next time I come to NYC. I’ll just be sure to ask for a room that faces the back and not the front.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Action_Jackson2
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2014

For the most part, this hotel is solid. Nice, clean room, relatively quiet. I sometimes feel like they don't hire the best people. When I have the manager at he front, Anil, I have no issues. Sometimes the two sour faced girls are at the front. They are just unhappy with life and wouldn't understand customer service if it jumped up and bit them. I can usually avoid them, which makes the place 4 stars, easy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up on the opposite side of the main road. it is quieter and you will have a nice...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Tustin, California
Reviewed 21 July 2014

If you are willing to put up with some quirkiness to save money, this hotel is for you. I stumbled onto it by accident, thinking I had booked the OTHER Fairfield Inn in Long Island City. It turns out this hotel is in the middle of an industrial area, a stone's throw from the Queens-Midtown Tunnel. The nearest subway station is the 7 train, about a 15 minute walk. The hotel runs a shuttle (very 30 minutes om morning to about 11 pm) to the subway station.. And thank goodness for that, since tourists walking through an industrial area at night would be a liability. I wish the shuttle went to the Queens Blvd line, since it is so much faster than the 7 train, but if you want that, you can just walk from the subway station where it drops you.

They advertise parking, but it is VERY limited. Upon arriving at the hotel, we found cars parked all over the sidewalk outside the hotel! So basically, limited parking and not "close" to the subway. Ugh. We found parking on a nearby street, but even I have to admit I mentally prepared ourselves for the car being gone in the morning. And I used to live in New York!

The room was clean and comfortable, the free hot breakfast was great, and the hotel had a nice lobby and business center. The staff was very cordial and friendly, and amazingly helpful. I loved the staff.

There is basically nothing around the hotel... A deli/restaurant, a film studio, produce wholesale distributor, car service garages, and the mothership of all those sidewalk vendors carts.

Lastly, a note about marketing. Unless you are on the upper half of the building, the "Manhattan View" claim is false. Our room was on the 4th floor and we stared at a large hulk of a self storage building and if I leaned, I could see the top of the Empire State Building. However, there is theoretically a roof terrace. Except the one at the hotel was barricaded with alarmed doors and "Do Not Enter" signs. The elevator goes to the roof... Want to know what they are using the roof terrace for? STORAGE. Yes, storage... Not quite the best use of a spectacular million dollar panoramic view of the NYC skyline!!!! Seriously.

The more understanding guests who have time and inconvenience as a luxury will find this location acceptable. If you are pressed for time and need easy access to the City, book the other Fairfield Inn in Long Island City, which is a block away from the subway into Manhattan.

Room Tip: Try to get an upper floor, facing west.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Anil M, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View.

You indicated in your response that parking was unsatisfactory . Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

ANIL MASIH
Front Office Supervisor
Miami
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Clean, well maintained, awesome service & excellent view! I stayed in this hotel 4 nights & best investment I ever made. From the front desk agents to the shuttle service to the rooms it was amazing. the rooms were super clean the bed were very comfortable & the view of manhattan from my room was pretty awesome. Thanks to Anil I think that was his name lol I was able to have a good view & a good room! He was so friendly & soo nice well everyone in the front desk was nice.. The shuttle was good also it runs until 10:45 but it picks u up when ever u need them to. The breakfast it was okay not bad but not awesome the best part of it it's the waffles :) overall I had a good stay & I will definitely come back!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Michyx3
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Clean, well maintained if somewhat small room. Had well functioning air conditioning, which was most appreciated given 90 degree weather. Breakfast area bright and selection reasonable (fruit, yogurt, etc). Staff very cordial. Shuttle driver was particularly accommodating to find us a train stop that had a elevator, Biggest shortcoming was parking. Don't have enough spots for all guests and we had to park across the street from the Inn one night. Also, free wifi was fine for reading email and goggling but had to pay a fee for wifi service for downloading music. Still, would stay here again.

Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The location is about a 1 mile walk from the nearest metro station and you don't walk through a very nice part of town. So, location is not why you stay here. The view is nice if you get a city view. Otherwise, you get a nice view of an industrial part of town...Note, they do have a shuttle, but the shuttle only runs until 10:45 pm or so. If you see a Broadway show, you are either getting a taxi to the hotel or taking the metro and hoofing it to the hotel. Not a bad walk, but just not an ideal location for a walk. I felt safe, but didn't really enjoy the area.

2 out of 3 times, the hotel was great and we had no issues. However, on the 3rd time, they decided that they would cancel my room as I hadn't shown up by midnight even though I had called them and told them I was still coming with my 2 kids. They rebooked me at another (lower class) hotel. When I got there, the room was only large enough for 1 person. I was absolutely shocked at their lack of attention to details. It took me until 3:30 am to get another reservation. They did, however, end of taking pretty good care of me. But, I will hesitate to book again or I will make sure that I check in online well before arriving at the hotel. As a Gold Member, I was extremely disappointed. There was a Platinum that showed up that night as well and he was really upset that his room was also cancelled...first time I have ever seen this for preferred members. He was upset, but they had reserved a room large enough for him and his wife...Unfortunately, they missed the details on my room.

The Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Queens/Queensboro Bridge is much closer to the metro station and they were in a nicer neighborhood. If you had to choose between the two, I would go with the Queens hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room viewing the Manhattan skyline. You can go up on the roof and view the city as well...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family