“Excellent hotel. Great deal!!! Clean & new.”

Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Oct. 2009. 8 nites. Just left today. Got a great deal 2 subway stops from Manhattan. Loved the hotel and the closeness to the subway. I upgraded to a manhattan view room and we got a view but, unfortunately the neighborhood is going thru gentrification and our 8th floor room was somewhat obstructed by the newer high rises going up on all sides of the hotel. We still loved the room and the view beyond the new construction. Room was clean, new and fresh. The modern furniture and colors were very New York. Our corner room had ceiling to floor windows that we enjoyed looking out onto Manhattan. The balcony was a plus as it was unusually cold weather and we opted to leave the sliding door open at all hours. The neighborhood is quiet as it is mainly industrial. The construction noise never bothered us on the mornings we slept in.
Don't be intimidated by the neighborhood. We never felt unsafe day or night. Several nights we walked the block to the hotel and we never even felt uneasy. Some graffiti can be seen but, we did not encounter anyone hanging on the streets-just people walking there dogs and babies in strollers.
The proximity from the hotel to the subway was only a block away. Walk out the back door and toward the street, look to the right and the train is right there. In front of the hotel is a corner store. We got soda and snacks for the fridge.
Don't bother bringing shower necessities. Hotel provides Bath & Bodywork products-shampoo/conditioner/lotion. That was a plus for me. Iron, ironing board and hair dryer were a nice touch. Linens on the bed were very nice quality. We loved the bed so much we pulled off the sheets to see who makes it. Most comfortable bed I have ever slept on.
**** The t.v. was great. Regarding the t.v going off. We stayed up late several nights and the t.v. shut itself off. Not sure if it was on a timer or not. But, we set it a few mornings to go on to wake us up. So, we witnessed it ourselves going off on its own. We usually like a safe in the room but, we never needed it. If need be they have secure safes you can inquire about.
The staff is excellent. They always had plenty front desk help. They answered all our questions and offered suggestions. We had a light bulb out and maintenance was at our door within 5 minutes. We called for a car this morning to take us to the airport and it was waiting for us 10 minutes later.
TIPS & SUGGESTIONS: Get the $27 weekly subway pass. 1-day pass is $8.50. The subway was quite an adventure and we saved alot of money this way. Bring comfortable shoes-I brought boots and never wore them. Plan on walking ALOT!!! Taxi from Laguardia airport was $15. Was about a 15 minute ride. Hotel got us a van to go back to the airport- $25. A few restaurants are down the street. Hotel also offers room service but, don't forget the fridge to fill with munchies and snacks. Oh-microwave is on the floor below the lobby. Down from the gym and pool.
I have no complaints about the location to the city. 2 stops and you are in Manhattan. Let's face it if you are going to see Manhattan you have to use the subway anyways. We saved over 50% to stay 5 minutes from the city, got a new room, excellent service and loved the view of Manhattan. We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank buggabooboo
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View

Reviewed 19 October 2009

There are lots of nice new hotels in Long Island City but this one is a bit more expensive and quite a lot nicer than the others. Check-in was exceptionally friendly. Rooms are bigger, lighter and better equipped than the nearby Verve. The full service restaurant is good and very welcome, as the immediate neighborhood is otherwise lacking in nice places to eat. The wide screen TV has the sharpest picture I've ever seen. It all works really well, unlike many of the old buildings that house more up-market Manhattan hotels. The neighborhood is dingy and still a long way from charming. But you'll get a better room than in Manhattan and at half the price, if you don't mind walking the couple of seedy blocks from the seedy subway station to get here.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank usa30
Reviewed 15 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend for 7 nights last week. We got it as a special deal on Expedia and this brand new 3 star hotel turned out to be excellent value for money. Since we had only booked a standard room we did not get a great view, but since we were only there to sleep, that wasn't a problem at all. The room was very spacious by European standards, especially the bathroom with a very large shower. The bed was very comfortable and we were given two sets of pillows: firm and soft, so we could choose what was best. The hotel is in a very quiet area of Long Island City and yet only 2 minutes from the subway which takes you into Manhattan in just 10-15 minutes. Having travelled a lot this year, this was one of the best rooms I stayed in. Two things to mention are that they have safe deposit boxes at reception free of charge, however the first morning we were told that they were all taken and had to wait two days before one became available. A bit annoying, but not a major deal. The other thing is that our room was just above some aircon system (or similar) which was housed outside in a separated area. When the window was open you could hear this jump into action ever so often, which did interrupt the otherwise very quiet nights. I am sure that only two doors down the corridor this would not have been an issue at all, so avoid room 202 if you can. There is a small bar area, which seemed busy most nights. The hotel also has a very small gym room and a tiny pool (which is not mentioned on their website, but is barely large enough to swim in and was closed on this occasion). Opposite is a shop with diner which is great to get water or snacks for the day. We can highly recommend to have breakfast at "Zante's" diner right by the subway stop. A typical American diner with nice atmosphere, proper dishes and cutlery (not plastic and card board as we found in another place), a huge selection of omelettes, rolls, bagels, pancakes, etc. Once we found this we either had a sit in breakfast or a cream cheese bagel and orange juice on the go there every morning. Excellent value and sets you up nicely for the day.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and return myself, if ever I went to NY again. Oh, and if your time allows go to Coney Island in Brooklyn, which has an amazing white sandy beach, a surprise to our NY trip.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Would definently stay here again. Very easy access to the the subway and a 5 minute ride into Manhattan. Staff is wonderful!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We stayed at this hotel 2 nights, brand new hotel, rooms are small but really comfortable and clean, bed was spotless. Restaurant closes at 10pm. They have only a few parking spots, we could have parked on the street for free but we didn't want to risk it, since the area is kind of developing. It looks a little ugly but we walked really late at night looking for a place open to eat, it didn't feel dangerous but it is quite deserted at night, if you adventure like we did, proceed with caution. We found some stores open late (after 11pm) but we had to walk several streets, bites were good, but we should have just ordered pizza. I wish they were more options nearby to eat at night but they aren't so be prepared.

Staff was friendly, we didn't get to interact much with them though.

One con is that they don't provide a safe in the room. We had to go out for a couple of hours at night and without the safe it made us feel better to leave the TV turned ON, when we came back the TV was OFF, I checked to see if the TV's was programmed to shut off a certain hour but that feature was off. It made me feel uneasy because before we left front desk asked us what room we were at. I don't want to think someone got in there while were out. That was the only incident but generally we had a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roboparents
BizTraveler08132009, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2009

The hotel utilizes a key card system for its' guestroom safety. The system allows for a reading of all entries to the guest room. The lock was audited and it was verified that only the guest key was used for entry after the Housekeeping Department cleaned the room.

The Engineering Department checked the TV and found nothing to be wrong.

Safe deposit boxes are available at the front desk for guest use.

Reviewed 6 October 2009

This is a newly constructed Holiday Inn, which used the new design and services that all Holiday Inns will eventually have. The best things the hotel has going for it are the Manhattan views and the proximity to Manhattan. I would recommend this hotel to someone that wanted to be very close to Manhattan, but not pay Manhattanprices. The train is very close, so it is just a matter of minutes to Grand Central Station. This neighborhood may be "up-and-coming", but it isn't quite there yet.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2009

This was my second time in NYC and decided to try an area outside of Manhattan. Long Island City was recommended by a friend so when I found this hotel and the great price we decided to give it a try. I agree with the other reviews about the surrounding area. I felt safe during the day but coming off the subway at night I felt a little uncomfortable. The subway station close to the hotel is old and rundown but the upside was it was a quick trip to the city. The rooms were very nice and comfortable. We had a "Manhattan View" room on the 8th floor so the view was not as unobstructed as a room and the higher up floors. A new building across the street obstructed my view of Manhattan. A quiet area during the week but on Saturday night some kids were hanging out across the street and we could hear them even though we were on the 8th floor. I would stay here again but would make sure we had a room higher up for a better view. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Island City
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York ...
#5 of 33 in Long Island City
Hilton Garden Inn Long Island Ci...
#2 of 33 in Long Island City
Home2 Suites by Hilton New York ...
#1 of 33 in Long Island City
Hotel Vetiver
#12 of 33 in Long Island City
Best Western Plaza Hotel
#8 of 33 in Long Island City

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!