Oct. 2009. 8 nites. Just left today. Got a great deal 2 subway stops from Manhattan. Loved the hotel and the closeness to the subway. I upgraded to a manhattan view room and we got a view but, unfortunately the neighborhood is going thru gentrification and our 8th floor room was somewhat obstructed by the newer high rises going up on all sides of the hotel. We still loved the room and the view beyond the new construction. Room was clean, new and fresh. The modern furniture and colors were very New York. Our corner room had ceiling to floor windows that we enjoyed looking out onto Manhattan. The balcony was a plus as it was unusually cold weather and we opted to leave the sliding door open at all hours. The neighborhood is quiet as it is mainly industrial. The construction noise never bothered us on the mornings we slept in.
Don't be intimidated by the neighborhood. We never felt unsafe day or night. Several nights we walked the block to the hotel and we never even felt uneasy. Some graffiti can be seen but, we did not encounter anyone hanging on the streets-just people walking there dogs and babies in strollers.
The proximity from the hotel to the subway was only a block away. Walk out the back door and toward the street, look to the right and the train is right there. In front of the hotel is a corner store. We got soda and snacks for the fridge.
Don't bother bringing shower necessities. Hotel provides Bath & Bodywork products-shampoo/conditioner/lotion. That was a plus for me. Iron, ironing board and hair dryer were a nice touch. Linens on the bed were very nice quality. We loved the bed so much we pulled off the sheets to see who makes it. Most comfortable bed I have ever slept on.
**** The t.v. was great. Regarding the t.v going off. We stayed up late several nights and the t.v. shut itself off. Not sure if it was on a timer or not. But, we set it a few mornings to go on to wake us up. So, we witnessed it ourselves going off on its own. We usually like a safe in the room but, we never needed it. If need be they have secure safes you can inquire about.
The staff is excellent. They always had plenty front desk help. They answered all our questions and offered suggestions. We had a light bulb out and maintenance was at our door within 5 minutes. We called for a car this morning to take us to the airport and it was waiting for us 10 minutes later.
TIPS & SUGGESTIONS: Get the $27 weekly subway pass. 1-day pass is $8.50. The subway was quite an adventure and we saved alot of money this way. Bring comfortable shoes-I brought boots and never wore them. Plan on walking ALOT!!! Taxi from Laguardia airport was $15. Was about a 15 minute ride. Hotel got us a van to go back to the airport- $25. A few restaurants are down the street. Hotel also offers room service but, don't forget the fridge to fill with munchies and snacks. Oh-microwave is on the floor below the lobby. Down from the gym and pool.
I have no complaints about the location to the city. 2 stops and you are in Manhattan. Let's face it if you are going to see Manhattan you have to use the subway anyways. We saved over 50% to stay 5 minutes from the city, got a new room, excellent service and loved the view of Manhattan. We will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Manhattan View sets the bar high for Manhattan area hotels. With views of the unmistakable New York City skyline, our NYC hotel provides an exceptional backdrop for both business and pleasure. At our affordable Queens hotel, just minutes from Manhattan, New York City's legendary landmarks have never seemed so accessible! Explore the Empire State Building, Central Park, the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Opera House at Lincoln Center, the Museum of the Moving Image, and the Statue of Liberty. Of course no visit would be complete without visiting other nearby sights including Times Square, Bryant Park, Grand Central Station, Broadway, and Madison Square Garden. Among Long Island City hotels, Holiday Inn Manhattan View is a nearby neighbor to many Fortune 500 companies, offering easy access to Citibank, MetLife, the United Nations, JetBlue, Delta, and Mount Sinai Medical Center. Our hotel is conveniently located within a short drive of all the major New York airports: LaGuardia, JFK and Newark. This Queens hotel offers guests free high-speed Internet access and a perfect location just minutes from Manhattan. Ideal for international travelers and vacationers, this Astoria, Queens hotel is located just one block from the N and Q subway lines and just a few blocks from the E and R subway lines. For an unforgettable New York City experience close to celebrated NYC attractions, look no further than the Holiday Inn Manhattan View. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, IHG, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn l.i. City - Manhattan View Hotel Long Island City
- Holiday Inn Long Island City
- Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View New York/Long Island City